need lots of help

barbeelu

i am really new at this. i received a gpsmap60csx for christmas. i have no idea what to do with it. i had assumed it had at least one map installed on it which i guess it does but i thought i would be able to input a to and from address and it would map it for me with turn by turn directions...not so. there is also this mapsource software that came with it but it doesn't seem very useful either. i had hoped to use it in the car for directions and to be able to do some geocaching. looks like i have to buy some maps...very expensive. i need lots of help if anyone out there has the patience to deal with someone who has very little knowledge. i know i have tons more questions and i have read a lot of the forums trying to understand. i guess i really thought this would be easier. thanks in advance for your help.

Barb

Welcome to the Forums! :P

You will have to purchase City Navigator maps in order to get turn-by-turn directions using that GPS unit. You can get those for right around $100 if you shop around. You might find it is a better deal to get the maps in a package along with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette-lighter adapter.

I also have the 60CSX and love it. I purchased the City Navigator 2008 NT for driving and it works great. The only thing it doesn't do like the car ones is give you traffic updates. As for the car charger, I have a motorola phone and its car charger works on the GPS unit so I didn't have to purchase that. The only real advantage of the street mapping software is that it can get you to the cache location without looking it up on a map and once you get close you recalculate the location for off road and then use the compass to get you to the cache while waliking.

Hope this helps..

Edited by ao318

Wow, someone really likes you to be giving you a top-of-the-line model from Garmin. ;)

I'm sure you've seen your manual and are daunted by the features.

Use the quick guide to get started. Take baby steps and you'll pick it up in no time. Your GPS is capable of auto-routing, but, as has been pointed out, you need to purchase maps for it. For the U.S., Garmin recommends City Navigator North America NT for your model GPS. The going rate for the 2008 version is about $115. You can find older versions out there - just make sure the unlock certificate is included and it has not been used to unlock the maps on another GPS unit.

MetroGuide can also be installed on your GPS. Because it is not an auto-routing version, the going rate is $85. The good thing is it has no unlock code; so you can feel safe buying it whereever - Craig's List, eBay, a garage sale (check the disc surface!). The other good thing is that there is a free utility out there that can convert MetroGuide into an auto-router. It has some quirks, but it works. I have MetroGuide v5 on my Vista HCx.

Welcome to the Forums! :D

You will have to purchase City Navigator maps in order to get turn-by-turn directions using that GPS unit. You can get those for right around $100 if you shop around. You might find it is a better deal to get the maps in a package along with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette-lighter adapter.

ok, i see the city navigator maps come in nt, non-nt, on dvd, cards, etcs., which is the best to buy? is it possible to buy just a map of wisconsin? and where might i find these package deals because i would be interested in the other stuff. i looked at amazon and garmin but did not find these items packaged like this. thanks so much for your help.

Barb

Hi, Welcome to the boards!

i also hace the 60csx it is a great little unit. have no fear you do NOT have to have the maps to cache. It just makes it a little bit easier. i do not have anything except the basic. Feel free to ask me any questions here or mail

thanks for you offer of help. i will most likely be tapping your mind cause right now this things seems pretty worthless to me. what exactly is the Trip & Waypoint manager good for? i can't seem to find exact locations on there either?

Barb

Wow, someone really likes you to be giving you a top-of-the-line model from Garmin. :)

I'm sure you've seen your manual and are daunted by the features.

Use the quick guide to get started. Take baby steps and you'll pick it up in no time. Your GPS is capable of auto-routing, but, as has been pointed out, you need to purchase maps for it. For the U.S., Garmin recommends City Navigator North America NT for your model GPS. The going rate for the 2008 version is about $115. You can find older versions out there - just make sure the unlock certificate is included and it has not been used to unlock the maps on another GPS unit.

MetroGuide can also be installed on your GPS. Because it is not an auto-routing version, the going rate is $85. The good thing is it has no unlock code; so you can feel safe buying it whereever - Craig's List, eBay, a garage sale (check the disc surface!). The other good thing is that there is a free utility out there that can convert MetroGuide into an auto-router. It has some quirks, but it works. I have MetroGuide v5 on my Vista HCx.

yes my son asked me which one i wanted and like a dummy i chose the top of the line, not realizing it was out of my league for now. and i didn't realize the expense of having to buy extra maps, etc. yes, i have read the manual front to back and tried to figure out the waypoint manager. i want to be able to geocache with it but also use it for directions in my car and this seemed like the best choice. i WILL persevere with help from my new buddies so thanks a lot. i will have to get the maps and then see what i can figure out.

Barb

Barbeelu, it's going to take some time. I also got a 60csx for Christmas(my first gps'r). It's terrific for geocaching, but thats the least of my interests using it. I am a little overwhelmed, but am slowly figuring it out. Spend some time with it daily. I've loaded caches, found caches, figured out proximity tones. Trying to figure out GSAK and loading clues into the unit,I bought Topo 2008, I don't care about auto routing. I'm mainly interested in offroad excursions in my JEEP, and hiking. I am currently trying to figure out loading my own custom maps, it will be awhile I'm afraid. Good luck, and use this forum and others, I might add. Lots of good information. I'm having fun with my unit.

Hi, Welcome to the boards!

i also hace the 60csx it is a great little unit. have no fear you do NOT have to have the maps to cache. It just makes it a little bit easier. i do not have anything except the basic. Feel free to ask me any questions here or mail

thanks for you offer of help. i will most likely be tapping your mind cause right now this things seems pretty worthless to me. what exactly is the Trip & Waypoint manager good for? i can't seem to find exact locations on there either?

Barb

I do not use the trip & waypoint manger. What do you mean exact locations? You may need a map loaded into it for that if it is what I think it is

Welcome to the Forums! :anicute:

ok, i see the city navigator maps come in nt, non-nt, on dvd, cards, etcs., which is the best to buy? is it possible to buy just a map of wisconsin? and where might i find these package deals because i would be interested in the other stuff. i looked at amazon and garmin but did not find these items packaged like this. thanks so much for your help.

Barb

Get the DVD-NT version, as long as you have a Windows PC with a DVD drive. Also, upgrade the unit's memory card. If you get the NT version, you can get the entire US map on a 1gb card. A 2gb card will leave lots of room to store custom POIs, and they can be had for really cheap these days.

The non-NT DVDs contain exactly the same information, but the NT version uses a more efficient compression/storage scheme.

Offroute.com has the navigation kit on sale for $154. Note that the picture shows City Select (the old mapping software) and a cable for the previous generation 60CS. However, the same part #, 010-10458-00, shows up on the Garmin website as the right pack for the 60CSx. This pack includes the mapping software, Bean bag mount, semi-permanent adhesive mount, and DC adapter.

Until you buy the mapping software, install the Trip & Manager DVD. This installs MapSource and a base map of the U.S. and Canada. Then go to garmin.com to install the latest version of MapSource. You can use MapSource to manage waypoints and download them into your GPS. And if you install Google Earth, a free aerial mapping software, you click one link on MapSource to automatically transfer all your waypoints into Google Earth.

You can also use MapSource to add hints/comments to each waypoint and customized the waypoint name.

Welcome to the Forums! :D

is this what i need? do i need nt or non-nt? on a sd card, dvd, what? too many choices?

Garmin Automotive Navigation kit for 60 Series

Garmin Automotive Navigation kit for 60 Series

Automotive Navigation kit for 60 Series with Mapsource City Navigator North American software.

SKU#: GAX10458 | MAN#: 010-10458-00 | ID#: 204 Price: $129.95

Availability:

If you want to use your Garmin GPSMAP 60 series unit in your vehicle the Garmin Automotive Navigation kit is a must have accessories. This package will save you a bundle and includes the following accessories: adhesive dash mount, portable friction mount, mounting cradle, double-sided adhesive pads, 12-volt adapter cable and Mapsource City Navigator North America software on DVD.

Garmin Automotive Navigation kit for 60 Series Accessories

I bought the older 60cs model in June of 2006, without the mapping software. I just couldn't justify the additional cost, considering how expensive the GPSr was. I just got along with the crude, built in basemaps.

I did fine all this time, but wasted a LOT of gas and a LOT of time trying to find my way to caches. Oh, I had a ball alright, but I never knew what I was missing.

For Christmas, I got City Navigator.

What a revelation! How did I get along without it? It gets me really close to caches, both in the city and out in the country. It's been great in some neighborhoods where the streets are like mazes. And it makes it really easy to go from cache to cache. But I've used it for so many other uses. You can enter an address and it will take you right to it. And, if you accidentally pass the street, it will route you down and around sidestreets back to the main road. If you're low on gas from geocaching, it can find nearby stations. Missed lunch and dinner from being lost in the woods? It can show nearby restaurants. Really neat!

So..... If you think you'll EVER get the mapping software, go ahead and get it now. It's a hoot!

I bought the older 60cs model in June of 2006, without the mapping software. I just couldn't justify the additional cost, considering how expensive the GPSr was. I just got along with the crude, built in basemaps.

I did fine all this time, but wasted a LOT of gas and a LOT of time trying to find my way to caches. Oh, I had a ball alright, but I never knew what I was missing.

For Christmas, I got City Navigator.

What a revelation! How did I get along without it? It gets me really close to caches, both in the city and out in the country. It's been great in some neighborhoods where the streets are like mazes. And it makes it really easy to go from cache to cache. But I've used it for so many other uses. You can enter an address and it will take you right to it. And, if you accidentally pass the street, it will route you down and around sidestreets back to the main road. If you're low on gas from geocaching, it can find nearby stations. Missed lunch and dinner from being lost in the woods? It can show nearby restaurants. Really neat!

So..... If you think you'll EVER get the mapping software, go ahead and get it now. It's a hoot!

do i have to buy the city navigator and then turn around and buy the update 08? doesn't look like you can buy city navigator nt 308?

You want to purchase "City Navigator North America NT V8" on a DVD with a 2g memory card. The V8 stands for 2008 edition. The cheapest place to this, recommended from Garmin, is Amazon.com. Garmin Part Number: 010-10816-00. The NT version is just compressesd to a version that is better suited for your device.

You could purchase the non-NT version but I am not sure how it will affect the memory of your unit. Meaning that the way some software is compressed iwill equal different memory capacity. Here is what could happen but am not sure. Map of California in NT might utilize 100 mb of memory on your memory card. Map of California in non NT version might utilize 200 mb of memory on your storage card. This means you will not be able to put as much information onto your memory card with the non NT version of the mapping software.

The best resource in my opinion is to talk to the Garmin Tech Support. They will give you all the information you need.

You want to purchase "City Navigator North America NT V8" on a DVD with a 2g memory card. The V8 stands for 2008 edition. The cheapest place to this, recommended from Garmin, is Amazon.com. Garmin Part Number: 010-10816-00. The NT version is just compressesd to a version that is better suited for your device.

You could purchase the non-NT version but I am not sure how it will affect the memory of your unit. Meaning that the way some software is compressed iwill equal different memory capacity. Here is what could happen but am not sure. Map of California in NT might utilize 100 mb of memory on your memory card. Map of California in non NT version might utilize 200 mb of memory on your storage card. This means you will not be able to put as much information onto your memory card with the non NT version of the mapping software.

The best resource in my opinion is to talk to the Garmin Tech Support. They will give you all the information you need.

why would someone write this about this mapping sofrware? he says it is absolutely worthless!

5 of 15 people found the following review helpful:

Do NOT buy this CD, September 17, 2007

By David P. Ignaczak (PA) - See all my reviews

This CD is out dated. It is not supported by Garmin. You will NOT be able to get an unlock code to use it. It should not be available for purchase anymore.

I am not sure what barbeelu's point is - if that review was written on September 17, 2007 was v8 even available then the same way it is now?

Even if the reveiwer is talking about the same product, there is always at least one person who doesn't understand to how to use something and then blames the product.

It seems that there is more than enough evidence from people who have actually done this that it in fact does work.

Other reviews from that time seem to indicate that while the software is a little pricey it does a decent job (except for the guy that wanted to use it on his bike). I have wanted to get it, but I am using a really old version now that is just okay, so i am not sure if it is worth the $$$.

I am not sure what barbeelu's point is - if that review was written on September 17, 2007 was v8 even available then the same way it is now?

Even if the reveiwer is talking about the same product, there is always at least one person who doesn't understand to how to use something and then blames the product.

It seems that there is more than enough evidence from people who have actually done this that it in fact does work.

Other reviews from that time seem to indicate that while the software is a little pricey it does a decent job (except for the guy that wanted to use it on his bike). I have wanted to get it, but I am using a really old version now that is just okay, so i am not sure if it is worth the $$$.

thanks just want to be sure i am buying the right product....this is all too new to me

Barbee

Me too, Barb. If you decide to take the plunge - please let us know how it turns out. I am still on the fence.... but leaning towards the purchase.

ok, ready or not, i am going to take the 'plunge', at least part of the way.

I am going to order from amazon.com, the Mapsource City Navigator North America V8 NT DVD, 010-10816-00 and the SanDisk Microsecure Digital 2G Memory card, SDSDQ-2048-A10M. I have yet to find the auto mount kit that i should buy or a package that includes the V8 of the City Navigator. Let me know if I have the right map, etc. or if you know of a better package for me to order.

Thanks a Bunch

Barbee