Are you a Police Officer, Judge, or Security gaurd that geocaches?

mrbeachroach

Just wandering if you know anybody who is, or if you are a police officer, judge, or security gaurd that caches, and how does that effect your outlook on your job?

I'm not really a Hasidic Diamond Merchant as my profile states.... :lol:

I'm a Security Supervisor/Classroom & Firearm Instructor for a VERY large oil company. It's a high speed INhouse unit and NOT your average rent-a-cop outfit. :) I'll never have to deal with cachers at my facility unless I host an event there. :unsure:

I have commented in my official capacity in a few threads where on-site security were interacting with cachers. Mainly about the fact that their powers are greater than a cop's on their own property, but that it didn't extend to public right-of-ways such as sidewalks and streets.

It doesn't affect my outlook much.

I tend to get on well with cops in encounters. They pick up on the fact that I seem to know what to do to set them at ease and it works well for me. I work closely with local Law Enforcement on special occasions so I know what concerns the local LEOs. I can't remember the last time I got a ticket and I get stopped at least once a year. :unsure: I guess it helps that I'm sometimes the guy who delivers their Christmas & Thanksgiving food trays. (We're talkin' a vanload PER shift.) B)

I even talked my way out of a ticket in AZ. When the trooper asked me if my GPS was a radar detector, I gave him the cache pages for the nearby Painted Desert caches I had planned to skip and explained geocaching to him. We talked for almost 20 minutes and he ended up getting a wreck call and I skated. :lol:

Breaktrack is a local L.E.O. Maybe he'll have something interesting to add. B)

Edited by Snoogans

I'm a police detective and SWAT team member in Indiana. It hasn't changed my perspective much other than it's nice to meet some really nice people around town. When I was still working patrol I knew where all the caches were in my town and if we got a suspicious person call around a cache I would volunteer to take it so I could have fun with the people and see if it was anyone I knew. We have three or four officers on my department that cache. We added geocaching to one of our yearly trainings a while back so officers would know what to look for to see if someone was geocaching or up to no good. That got us an addition cacher out of that training.

Geocaching gave us the idea of using GPS to map some things in town and it has helped in those projects.

Hint, if geocaching and approached by police, tell them what you are up too. Most police are into the outdoors and cool toys so they'll probably love it. Remember, we aren't all as sweet as me :D so if you don't get a good one, sorry. Also, tell them you know of a lot of officers that do it, it's the truth around here.

Tho he doesn't do much caching lately due to a very busy schedule, my son has worked in the security business for some time now and currently manages an armored car facility that's about a mile and a half from my home.

I can't say that i have seen a change his caching perspective because of that, however. Seems the same as when he started.

Profile for montazari1 member of Team Rattlebars.

Retired, 35 years as LEO. Lots of LEOs are cachers. There was this thread from a couple of years ago. Who's a LEO

I agree with what Team LPD said. It's just another hobby.

Found out about Geocaching in 2001 because of being a LEO. We got an intel bulletin notifying LEOs that if we received reports of people wandering around in the woods, parks, or towns with GPS units then they were probably geocachers.

... I even talked my way out of a ticket in AZ. When the trooper asked me if my GPS was a radar detector, I gave him the cache pages for the nearby Painted Desert caches I had planned to skip and explained geocaching to him. We talked for almost 20 minutes and he ended up getting a wreck call and I skated. :blink:
Just keep chatting away until they realize that they have something better to do? That's ingenious. :D