Multi Hides and the .10 Rule Question

frex3wv

I am interested in hiding my first "multi" soon, but I have a question.

Can the first leg of the cache be closer than .10 to one that is already established so long as the final stage clearly is further than .10?

Not if it's a physical conatiner. If it's a virtual (gather information from a pre-existing item, such as a plaque) then it is within the scope of the current guidelines.

Keep in mind that if you place an item and the next stage is only 30 feet away, then it is OK as well. (If it is part of the same cache).

And there lies my problem. I tried to place a cache in a location where multi cache had a virtual leg. To get the coords to the final cache, you had to email the owner a photo of you at the top of this mtn. There was no physical cache of any form. When i tried to place one, it was denied, even after a few emails back and forth with the reviewer.

And there lies my problem. I tried to place a cache in a location where multi cache had a virtual leg. To get the coords to the final cache, you had to email the owner a photo of you at the top of this mtn. There was no physical cache of any form. When i tried to place one, it was denied, even after a few emails back and forth with the reviewer.

Virtual caches are no longer posted to this site and haven't been for a few years now. You must have a physical container of come sort.

RussellM:

Why not set the cache up as a puzzle? The end spot is within limits (from what I'm reading of your post). Make the other stages waypoints to gather info for the puzzle. This way you can still have your cache in the spot you want. Or you could combine a puzzle and multi. Have the spot that is in question be the one to obtain info to find the other physical caches, whichever works for your situation.

Edited by elmuyloco5

Misread the post. Thought you were trying to place a cache like the one you are describing.

Yes it seems unfair that a virtual leg of a multi could end up blocking your physical cache. You might try getting the the multi owner involved to indicate that the first waypoint of the multi is virtual. For other than the first waypoint a multi owner can use the additional waypoint feature to indicate which stages shouldn't block other caches (by using the reference point or answer to question instead of the stages of a multi cache). There isn't a good way to indicate to the reviewer that the first stage of a multi is a virtual and shouldn't block a physical cache nearby.

Edited by tozainamboku

The actual problem is that (I think), you were requiring an email for the final. The guidelines require that the puzzle be solveable without such means.

You may be out for the day, off on vacation, in the hospital, email service down, etc - thus no way to complete the cache. Find a different way for cachers to get the final coordinates and it should be ok.

So few posts, so much misinformation and misreading. Here's the part of the guideline to analyze:

The cache saturation guideline applies to all physical stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, as well as any other stages entered as “stages of a multicache.” The guideline does NOT apply to event caches, earthcaches, grandfathered virtual and webcam caches, stages of multicaches or puzzle caches entered as “question to answer” or “reference point,” or to any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache. Within a single multicache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints.

It can be confusing to read sometimes. It used to be worse.

Assuming I am reading these posts correctly.

frex3vw Your starting point, ending point, and all physical points within your multi cannot be closer that .1 mile from any existing physical cache. You can have stages of your own cache closer than that. You may be able to get your reviewer to give some leeway if there are very good reasons for it, especially with the intermediate stage proximity to other caches.

russellm How recently was your submission denied? The guideline was relaxed earlier this year to remove the proximity for the non-physical stages. By physical stages I mean a container placed by the cache owner.

starbrand You and I have read russell's issue differently. I understood his concern to be that the older cache had the email me for a find verification, not his denied submission.

scareforce1 We still do have virtual caches. We just can't get any new ones listed. The old ones used to get the same proximity 'protection' as a physical (stage of a) cache. That changed in February 2007 with the latest guidelines.

I hope this clears things up, especially for frex and russell.

Edited by wimseyguy