Geocachers gear bag

My grandson is really into geocaching and one member of the family is getting him his own GPS. I've been thinking of putting together a gear bag with items which would be useful while caching. Some of the things I've considered are: protective gloves, bug repellant, log book, extra logs for caches needing replacement, plastic bags, hand cleaner, 1st aid kit, cloth to dry wet caches, flashlight, etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what else may be considered without adding too much weight. He's 11yo but carrying 20 pounds may challenge him.

I think you're on the right track here. You're helping teach him to help keep caches in good condition, by drying out and adding ziplocs and logbooks as needed.

A couple other things you may want to consider:

Duct tape - black or camo is better than silver. In case he finds a container that's cracked or broken.

A couple mechanical pencils - pens leak or freeze up (depending on location), but pencils are cheap, and will hold up in just about any environment.

Spare batteries - you never know when you'll need them!

Sunscreen

There's more, and I'm sure others will jump on the bandwagon here.

Pj peters..the trouble with pencils is they get dull n i think having knives to sharpen them with is against the club laws....

you can get small mechanical pencils that are decent & pretty cheap. So if ya have a few, you can put one where needed if you choose, but also if it runs out - leads could be added - or they could take the empty pencil & replace with a new one. The visitor could then refill the pencil if s/he chooses, or throw it out. . or whatever;)

~~Tara :P

This is my daypack:

Bug spray/cream

GPSr

BlackBerry (Paperless Caching)

Knife

Marker/Pen/Pencil

Harmonica

Notebooks

Extra AA batteries

TB's

Stamp

First Aid Kit

Gloves

Flint

Back Pack

Water

Camera/Case

Not shown: Emergency whistle

Poncho rain liner

Emergency blanket

Plastic bags/100 mph Tape

Parachute cord

I'll be adding some field manuals soon. To identify plants and bugs.

geobag.jpg

I'd definitely throw in a few SWAG items that he can trade. I mean you can't go to an ammo can without taking something to leave. Also, you may want to purchase at least one Travel Bug tag so that he can place his own first Travel Bug. What kid wouldn't love that?? (Or what adult?) We ordered and it only took three days to get our TB tags. We just placed our first Travel Bug today, and it has a little short story to go with his reason for destination. You may be able to volunteeer to help him think of something for his first TB!

And while you're at it, maybe a GeoCaching sticker he can put on a notebook or even his bag if that's his style. (Of course, I'm asking for a Signal Doll for Christmas, but that may definitely NOT be his thing at that age.) Of course a GeoCoin is an option as well.

Don't just think safety and practicality, Think FUN! :P

I also carry a telescoping magnet and flashlight.

In addition, I have a muggle repellant kit. It includes:

(1) Subpoenas - If I'm in an inhabited area like a residential area or business area, and someone asks me what I'm doing wandering around, I explain I'm a process server looking for the guy I'm supposed to serve. Then I ask: "By the way, what's your name?" -- as I rummage through my subpoenas. This usually gets them to leave.

(2) Yellow "Caution" Tape - Sometimes the best way to be ignored while examining something is to make a big show of it. Once the caution tape is up, I can examine to my hearts content with impunity. I look like I'm supposed to be doing whatever it is that I'm doing.

(3) Fired Bullet Casings - I'll carry one in my hand when I'm looking under newspaper machines and the like. If someone asks what I'm doing, I explain I'm looking for evidence and after a minute or so, hold up a casing. Then I pull out a notebook and ask the witness for his or her name. That gets rid of them.

(4) Digital Camera - When I feel police or security folks are watching me, I'll pull out the camera and take some pics of the roadway or walkway (depending on where I am). Then, I'll approach the officer and ask if he or she happened to have taken a report on a car crash (or slip and fall) last week. I never say there was a car crash, etc. or that I'm investigating one, but they sometimes make the incorrect assumption and leave. Sometimes they will even call in to see if anyone else may have taken a report... and then leave.

Pj peters..the trouble with pencils is they get dull n i think having knives to sharpen them with is against the club laws....

you can get small mechanical pencils that are decent & pretty cheap. So if ya have a few, you can put one where needed if you choose, but also if it runs out - leads could be added - or they could take the empty pencil & replace with a new one. The visitor could then refill the pencil if s/he chooses, or throw it out. . or whatever;)

~~Tara :blink:

let me get this right. You cannot carry a knife but you can carry a pistol? Am I the only one that sounds weird to?

This is my daypack:

Bug spray/cream

GPSr

BlackBerry (Paperless Caching)

Knife

Marker/Pen/Pencil

Harmonica

Notebooks

Extra AA batteries

TB's

Stamp

First Aid Kit

Gloves

Flint

Back Pack

Water

Camera/Case

Not shown: Emergency whistle

Poncho rain liner

Emergency blanket

Plastic bags/100 mph Tape

Parachute cord

I'll be adding some field manuals soon. To identify plants and bugs.

geobag.jpg

Wheres your swag?

This is my daypack:

<snip>

Wheres your swag?

It's right there.

6e47555f-a099-440e-ba76-4e660607074c.jpg

Seriously, I used to pack a ton of stuff with me, but I never really needed it. Now I almost always leave the pack in the car and geocache with my GPSr, PDA, phone, and small flashlight on my belt, compass and swag in my pocket, and water in my hand.

Edited by sbell111

wow what a creative way to get rid of mugglers.All i could come up with the other day when getting busted by a muggler was "were looking for acorns. it worked she gave us a weird look and walked away

You should have told them you were hiding from Ninja Pineapples. That really makes them leave... quickly. Use this tactic with caution beacuse it may reasult in being commited to a local mental instutution.

~.~Scare Force One

I know he is only 11 - but a good folding knife is really the most useful thing anybody can carry, especially if caching in the woods. I was given my first knife by my grandfather when I was about 6, and really, if taught to use them properly and with respect, a kid can have a knife when hiking :-)