Trademark items

Knobhiker

Finding a trademark item in a cache is like seeing an old friend again. I've always left them, thinking they were like calling cards. But now I wonder if they are left as collectables. Recently I met another geocacher at a find and he gave me a fantastic personalized coin. Of the things inscribed on it is, "Cav Scout was here".

Are trademark items to be taken and collected by others, or are they to be left as a "calling card"?

Both. Some people leave them as calling cards. But figure if everyone left theirs and nobody took them, the cache would soon be full of nothing but trademark items.

Many people like to collect them. Some of them are made specifically for collecting. For example I have a totem pouch which was Ttepee's sign item hanging from my rear view mirror. I know for a fact that she meant them to be taken.

Both. Some people leave them as calling cards. But figure if everyone left theirs and nobody took them, the cache would soon be full of nothing but trademark items.

Many people like to collect them. Some of them are made specifically for collecting. For example I have a totem pouch which was Ttepee's sign item hanging from my rear view mirror. I know for a fact that she meant them to be taken.

Thanks for the reply!

Some items just naturally seem to be a trademark left for the collecting. Like Deermark's nameplate on a stone, or my "limited edition" Knobhiker & Jack carpenters' pencils with woodburnt name and characters are ment for the taking. One cacher leaves and Old Forester whiskey card. I started finding these and wondered, "What a cheep trade!", then I realized later it was a trademark. I've collected one no longer thinking it cheep, but collectable.

It's the business type cards that puzzle me. Some have neat info about the cacher or team. Sure they would never know I took one to collect, but I would only want to do so if they expected others to take their cards.

So... if it's an object, collect it; If it's a card leave it?

It would seem to me with the whole premise of take something, leave something, it would go without saying. If its in the cache it can be taken.

Ditto that (minus the log book, of course). Some caches may have items placed in it by the owner that are not meant to be taken (like geocoins that are permanently attached), but anything placed in the cache by another finder is fair game as a trade item.

In my opinion any signature item is a collectable. Take it if you want it and leave it if you don't want it. Sometimes I leave a button with my name on it. It's meant to be taken by someone who collects such things. Like any other type of collectable, most folks don't collect them and a few do collect them. I had a collector email me asking me to send one to him for his collection. I was happy to do so. It's a personal thing whether you want to collect or not but, if there's a signature item in a cache and you want it, I say you should go for it.