Another Sunday afternoon drama ...

Our log for Nab Spout where we went caching today...

"A very careful stroll down the hill with the little ones, being very careful not to slip on the leaves after all the recent rain. Joshua found the cache, expertly guided by the cache owner and then we had a drink from the spring. Couldn't find any cups so used our hands. I am soooo glad we took the route down to this cache that we did, because a drama was shortly to unfold. We carried on down the hill in the direction of the next cache, and saw the rescue team, some police officers and a couple of young lads heading towards us. When asked if there was someone in trouble, we were told that yes unfortunately there was. The police officer at the rear was using his radio and signalled to us to wait which we did. He took our details, just in case he needed to contact us. Apparently some poor chap had decided to end his life in the woods . Going on the info given, it would seem that this had happened just a couple of hundred of yards from the cache site! We did wonder whether it was the chap we saw acting oddly before up at the cairn on Pilky's Pile. We asked the police officer this, but he couldn't confirm either way. We were a little further down the path when Joshua Cache Hopper realised he had left his sunglasses at the spring, so PuP had to go back to get them. We sat on some boulders and waited for him, and watched the to'ing and fro'ing of the police and rescue teams. After last weekend's bomb episode at Woodbury Common I think caching is getting just a little bit dramatic! TFTC, Liane, Joshua and Megan"

How many of us have pondered how awful it would be if we came across a body whilst out caching? I'm so glad we didn't today - we could easily have taken a different route and been the unfortunate people to discover this. Two teenage lads found him - they looked quite shaken to say the least. :)

As Liane kindly dropped off one of my Geocoins in Pilky's Pile today, I did read the log from the cache earlier and saw the reference to the man who vacated the area very quickly, but obviously didn't know what else happened after that. Hopefully it wasn't the same guy.

Working on the railway, I have seen the result of people who have been similarly as desperate, and I guess that, as we cachers tend to explore the more remote places, it's only a matter of time as Izzy says.

We hope Liane and kids are ok - it's not a nice situation.

Oh yes thanks, perfectly ok ... we weren't really involved in seeing anything horrid, and we told the children that a man had fallen off a tree, bumped his head and needed an ambulance, so no nasty nightmares for them. B)

A few weeks ago, we were doing a Cave Troll and Eeyore cache and there was a tree with flowers and tributes at the bottom of it; looking at the tree it seemed a likely spot for something similar to have happened. Also, some time last year a young lady in her twenties took her life close to one of our River Pang caches. B)

Oh yes thanks, perfectly ok ... we weren't really involved in seeing anything horrid, and we told the children that a man had fallen off a tree, bumped his head and needed an ambulance, so no nasty nightmares for them. B)

A few weeks ago, we were doing a Cave Troll and Eeyore cache and there was a tree with flowers and tributes at the bottom of it; looking at the tree it seemed a likely spot for something similar to have happened. Also, some time last year a young lady in her twenties took her life close to one of our River Pang caches. B)

caching down south sounds less appealing everyday

You frequently hear on the news about dog walkers finding bodies hidden in woods... snip

My sister always says this is why she would never buy a dog!

I am glad the kids were not traumatised by all of this, and remind me to keep away from wherever The Cache Hoppers and Pup are caching that day!

When Ipswich was in the news last year over the missing women I actually stopped caching for a while, whilst I didn't think I would be in danger as his victims were prostitute's I was concerned of the possibility of finding more than a cache in the woods, But i must admit i don't even consider it now. :(

When Ipswich was in the news last year over the missing women I actually stopped caching for a while, whilst I didn't think I would be in danger as his victims were prostitute's I was concerned of the possibility of finding more than a cache in the woods, But i must admit i don't even consider it now. :)

But if you'd gone caching in low-cut tops, short skirts, fishnet tights and high heels. You may have been his next victim :D:(:(

Paul