Seeking answers

Team Tigger International

With all the changes that are going on I would like some simple yes or no answers to the 2 following questiong please :

1) In order to view the maps on web pages am I going to HAVE to change my browser of choice , or is this issue being addressed ... My browser of choice and one I love to use is netscape 7.2 , in which the maps will not function at all.

2) Will our pocket queries ever include support for mobi pockets in e-book format again or are we who enjoyed having this support be forced into using another option ?

Thank you

Star of Team Tigger International

With all the changes that are going on I would like some simple yes or no answers to the 2 following questiong please :

1) In order to view the maps on web pages am I going to HAVE to change my browser of choice , or is this issue being addressed ... My browser of choice and one I love to use is netscape 7.2 , in which the maps will not function at all.

2) Will our pocket queries ever include support for mobi pockets in e-book format again or are we who enjoyed having this support be forced into using another option ?

Thank you

Netscape doesn't even support Netscape 7.2 anymore. Why should anyone else? And what's your aversion to upgrading? Netscape 9.0 runs on all the platforms that 7.2 did.

Thank you

Netscape doesn't even support Netscape 7.2 anymore. Why should anyone else? And what's your aversion to upgrading? Netscape 9.0 runs on all the platforms that 7.2 did.

Yes I know this , however the newer versions of netscape are not bundled with netscape mail .... and 7.2 is. No aversion to an update really , its just that the I prefer to use netscape mail as well .

Are you using Netscape 9.0 on a Windows 98SE platform? Are you sure that such a system will display the particular maps in question? I've been without the google maps for days (since October 15, 2007), and those of us with this problem have been posting about it since then--and your response is the first that suggests a solution to the problem. Are you sure this works? What is the specific difference between Netscape 7.2 and Netscape 9.0 that allows 9.0 to work correctly with the new code when 7.2 wouldn't?

Remember, up until October 15, none of us were experiencing any problems viewing the maps that were using the new code that was being tested up until then. Are you sure that a simple change in the code wouldn't give us all the new maps again without any of us having to install new software that may or may not run as quickly or as efficiently as what we currently have installed.

My impression is that generally newer software is generally bloatware, hogging resources and causing your system to run slower and not faster unless your machine is upgraded at the same time. That's why minimum system requirements become more and more demanding over time, because the newer bloatware bogs down older, less-capable systems.

Now, that is not always the case. And an ironically good example of the exception is when Netscape 7 ran much quicker on the same equipment than the disastrous Netscape 6. Conversely, Netscape 6 proved the rule when compared to Netscape 4.

Since you say that Netscape 9.0 runs on all the same platforms as Netscape 7.2, I assume that you mean that my system will not be bogged down any by 9.0, that essentially it (and the programs I run concurrently with it) will run just as quickly as my same old system currently does with Netscape 7.2 running. Is that your experience?

That would be a godsend at this point, if what you suggest is actually a viable solution--that my Win98SE Athlon 650 system will not suffer any performance degradation and the new google maps will show again. But if you don't know this to be true, please let us know before we go through the trouble of implementing what you are recommending. The essential thing is to know that the maps will show, otherwise there is no reason at all for me to consider the upgrade. Can you confirm that?

Thanks for attempting to help us. It's been pretty frustrating.

--WR

As I can see, your browser is released in the summer 2004 according to ftp.netscape.com.

The last years, JavaScript got a makeover with a lot of standardization, and almost all browsers (including netscape) had to change or upgrade it's implementation to work with w3c:s new specifications, and the new DOM-objects.

I don't think Netscape 7.2 even supports AJAX and XmlHTTPRequest. I don't think it has the function document.getElementByID(elementid)

I can't believe any site would support this browser anymore. You should be happy with what actually works instead...

EDIT:

Try Mozilla instead. (not firefox)

It's a browser branced out of Netscape when it became opensource, and it has browser, mail and news bundled as Netscape 7.2 and I think it even looks like netscape, but it's much newer.

Edited by pengi

Are you using Netscape 9.0 on a Windows 98SE platform? Are you sure that such a system will display the particular maps in question? I've been without the google maps for days (since October 15, 2007), and those of us with this problem have been posting about it since then--and your response is the first that suggests a solution to the problem. Are you sure this works? What is the specific difference between Netscape 7.2 and Netscape 9.0 that allows 9.0 to work correctly with the new code when 7.2 wouldn't?

Netscape 9.0 is based on Firefox. Maps work in Firefox.

Try Mozilla instead. (not firefox)

It's a browser branced out of Netscape when it became opensource, and it has browser, mail and news bundled as Netscape 7.2 and I think it even looks like netscape, but it's much newer.

Or even better: try SeaMonkey. It's the latest successor to Mozilla Application Suite and Netscape Communicator.

Cornix

Netscape 9.0 is based on Firefox. Maps work in Firefox.

After getting so much advice to upgrade my browser, I went ahead and upgraded to Netscape 9.0. I installed the latest version that came out a week ago. As stated above, Netscape 9.0 is based on Firefox, in fact Firefox 2.0, its latest incarnation.

I can confirm that Netscape 9.0 does not display the "Geocaching.com Google Map" maps either. These maps display essentially the same as with Netscape 7.2: that is, they do not display. The rest of the map page displays fine as always, but the map itself is a blank field. It was a white blank field in Netscape 7.2, and now it is a gray blank field in Netscape 9.0. There are two slight improvements in the Netscape 9.0 image: the geocache icons (the little treasure chests) and the map-select buttons (in the upper right portion of the image) now show up. But they hover over a completely blank map. When I click on the button to select the satellite image, the image area remains blank. The same thing happens when I click on the hybrid button.

Let me remind everyone that all the other map links from a cache description page show up in Netscape 7.2 just fine; they have never had any problems with the new code. It is only the "Geocaching.com Google Map" link that yields a map with no map image.

So, OK, even though Netscape 9.0 is based on Firefox 2, it does not show the "Geocaching.com Google Map" any better (essentially) than Netscape 7.2. Thanks for the strongly worded suggestions that we upgrade, but your suggestions regarding Netscape 9.0 did not result in any real improvement regarding this issue.

I guess the next step is to install Firefox 2.0, which several people have stated works with the maps. We'll see....

I'll leave the Netscape 9.0 and Netscape 7.2 (my preference) up and running in order to do Groundspeak's debugging for them as best I can.

I still think that properly coded software would display this map correctly in Netscape 7.2, as it had been displaying them correctly through several implementations of new code--until the code introduced approximately October 15, 2007 abruptly led to this problem in apparently all versions of Netscape.

Stay tuned.

--WR

Try installing Opera, and see if it works there. That would tell you if the problem is with your OS, or Mozilla. I'm guessing your system is either missing a rendering engine, or it's obsolete.

Not going to bother ... just have to get over it and conform to the use of IE even though I hate the browser ... it at least works for the maps ...

and well I am back to pen and paper because I don't get the use of cachemate and gsak ...