Prerequisites for making a Geocoin

zazth

Since I hijacked another thread on this particular topic, I decided to make a new one for it!

Are there some sort of unspoken rules for making a geocoin?

Do you have to be a member for a certain amount of time? Find a certain, magical number of caches? Place a magical number of caches?

Seriously, what's the skinny?

Only one rule.

Make a nice-looking geocoin.

No matter how long you've been caching, I expect that a creative, well executed, geocaching-themed coin would be popular here with the forum community. But it's your money, so you have to decide for yourself before you make the investment. The "unwritten" rules are saved for the coin shops that will do minting "on spec" for you -- you provide the design and they agree that it's "good enough" that they'll make it and give you a few coins for free. Contact them if you want to know their particular criteria.

There does seem to be at least some unwritten rules about people sellling coins.

Two that I've seen are:

Don't have your first post in here be a sale.

Don't sell a coin when you've only been a member for a month.

Not saying whether it is right or wrong - but I've seen these being referred to.

There does seem to be at least some unwritten rules about people sellling coins.

Two that I've seen are:

Don't have your first post in here be a sale.

Don't sell a coin when you've only been a member for a month.

Not saying whether it is right or wrong - but I've seen these being referred to.

Hence the questions, I also have seen discouraging statements made to potential personal coins.

Since I hijacked another thread on this particular topic, I decided to make a new one for it!

Are there some sort of unspoken rules for making a geocoin?

Do you have to be a member for a certain amount of time? Find a certain, magical number of caches? Place a magical number of caches?

Seriously, what's the skinny?

After reading the hijacked thread... I believe a more appropriate question might be . . Are there any rules for selling geocoins?

It's a good question. I think the best results I've ever seen had a good design, a good link to caching and a good explanation of how it all came to be. I think numbers mean less than the experiences so I wouldn't worry as much on that end. Intention goes a long way as well. If you're in it to make buck say so. If you're in it to make a personal coin as a representative symbol of your caching experience then just say so. It's only when a coin is misrepresented or a poorly masked attempt at grabbing dollars that I've seen the ugly head of the mob rise in anger :sad: Most of us I think would just like to see good coins from good people with good intentions. ;)

Hence the questions, I also have seen discouraging statements made to potential personal coins.

It's hard to get an idea of 'marketability' unless you get some negative feedback as well. That's one of the good reasons that it is helpful to be active in this forum or in geocaching usually for a certain period of time before you announce a coin -- especially one for sale. That time helps you get a feel for what the community's likes and dislikes are before you dive in with a coin that you *have* to sell to be able to afford it.

But if you just want to make a personal coin and you're gonna drop them in caches or give them away as gifts and you have the $$ to do so, then there are no other "rules" (outside of the ones stated in the pinned topic at the top of this forum for trackables).

It's a good question. I think the best results I've ever seen had a good design, a good link to caching and a good explanation of how it all came to be. I think numbers mean less than the experiences so I wouldn't worry as much on that end. Intention goes a long way as well. If you're in it to make buck say so. If you're in it to make a personal coin as a representative symbol of your caching experience then just say so. It's only when a coin is misrepresented or a poorly masked attempt at grabbing dollars that I've seen the ugly head of the mob rise in anger ;) Most of us I think would just like to see good coins from good people with good intentions. :D

Well said. I'd agree with that statement 100%.

It's hard to get an idea of 'marketability' unless you get some negative feedback as well. That's one of the good reasons that it is helpful to be active in this forum or in geocaching usually for a certain period of time before you announce a coin -- especially one for sale. That time helps you get a feel for what the community's likes and dislikes are before you dive in with a coin that you *have* to sell to be able to afford it.

But if you just want to make a personal coin and you're gonna drop them in caches or give them away as gifts and you have the $$ to do so, then there are no other "rules" (outside of the ones stated in the pinned topic at the top of this forum for trackables).

Hmm, I'd agree with that 100% as well.

That's where kealia's "one month rule" comes in.... it takes a while to get to know someone's intentions and build up a personal connection.

Please don't refer to this as my rule. I've enough flames coming at me already! :sad:

Selling and Making?

The other question would be selling coins not made by a traditional geocoin house or starting your own (going direct). Any rules there, or just buyer beware?

Not sure how that works, going directly to the mint.

To clarify, making a coin to sell and place, giveaway, etc...

Selling and Making?

The other question would be selling coins not made by a traditional geocoin house or starting your own (going direct). Any rules there, or just buyer beware?

I think is a seperate thread as well if I get your question.

In fact, I know there was a thread a while abck asking for information about this. I'm guessing that a quick search of "mint" or "direct" would turn it up.

Definately buyer beware.

It's easy to scribble a design on a napkin, give it to an established coin vendor who hires an artist to make the art mint ready! You split the mint run with the vendor. And presto! You have a great looking coin... for a fraction of the cost...

It's harder to deal with the mint directly, hammer out all the kinks in a timely manner (having collected everyone's pre-order money) and then have to do more and more revisions... not to mention shelling out the $3000 for the minting costs...

As a buyer I think twice before buying from someone new who goes directly to the mint. At least until I know that they can produce a quality coin, on time and for a decent price. That combination happens so rarely.

I don't know of any rules :sad: Only opinions that are quite varied depending on the direct subject matter.

But for the most part I agree with what fox-and-the-hound said earlier.

It's almost inevitable that someone isn't going to agree with what you are doing when it comes to designing/making/selling geocoins.

my 2cents

~tsun

There are zero rules for making a geocoin. Unfortunately, some people can't afford to make their own geocoin so opt for selling some to offset the cost. One alternative is to participate in one of the group projects, like the GeoJellies or the GeoTag projects.

All of the rules I've seen refer to appropriate selling practices:

Taking pre-orders is generally disliked by the customer, but a lot of people still do it because the seller doesn't have to front the money to mint the geocoin. Note that taking paypal pre-orders is against their policy although people don't seem to have any problem doing it anyway.

If you need to get a feel for the interest of a particular design, then get the artwork finished and maybe even pay to have some samples made, and then take reservations (but no money). Once the mint has been paid and the coins are being manufactured then you can fairly safely send out paypal invoices. The absolute best thing is to have the coins in hand before taking any money in. That will never get you in trouble.

--Marky