Event Caches

Killerb

This definately must be a regional, state or locational practice. First I think the practice of having events count should be kept. Those that don't want it count don't have to log it. I for one know of a few Geocachers who have never logged an event because they don't want it to skew their numbers. That's their decision. As for the temporary caches, I don't see it around here. We have a meet-and-greet coming up in November. As part of this a series of new caches are coming out in the general area of the event location. And they will be permanent caches not temporary ones just for the event. So, once the event is over anyone can enjoy them. Log them and get a smiley.

Wavector,

Have to ever stopped to consider that the world doesn't revolve around you, and your opinion on this matter? Nearly everyone of your post on this subject are "all about you" and how your opinion is clearly the correct one. It's seems that you are being the most narrow minded of all.

If that has anything to do with multiple logging of events I must have missed it. :D

I am guessing you are getting frosted because my viewpoint is diametrically opposed to your viewpoint, my viewpoint is consistent with the way the site actually works today and my viewpoint isn't about changing the system so that others are more tightly controlled, I can see why you think I am narrow minded.

If my refusal to join in your march seems narrow minded to you then I hesitate to ask what you think of the current site owners, apparently they haven't received your "manifesto" either and they are willing to let each geocacher be free to enjoy this activity in the fashion they choose.

You just might have to accept that your vision of everyone "geocaching in lockstep" is not a big seller. :anitongue:

I'm not in any march, nor do I have a torch, or pitchfork. I will always think the practice of logging containers without GC numbers as geocaches is a "cheasy number padding scheme." Whatever Groundspeak does is up to them, i'm just a guest on this site. Debating the issue is fun.

I'm confident that the majority of cachers throughout the world don't log multiple attends to get credit for temporary containers. This practice is only popular in a few areas (primarily the land of bad cheese.)

Have to ever stopped to consider that the world doesn't revolve around you, and your opinion on this matter? Nearly everyone of your post on this subject are "all about you" and how your opinion is clearly the correct one. It's seems that you are being the most narrow minded of all.
Edited by sbell111

I stated my opinion not the word of God. Give it a rest already!

Thanks Toz,

Of course California has the happiest cows. :D

Another warning to keep the tone of the posts down.

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Much more of this and a couple of you are going to have lots of caching time this weekend. :D

I stated my opinion not the word of God. Give it a rest already!
Ummm, you realize that that was your quote from yesterday, right? Edited by sbell111

I've been away from the forums for a while, but notice that not much has changed....which is probably not a bad thing, as it's somewhat comforting to return to the familiar.

Anyway, just thought I would add my two cents to this topic. I see a really simple solution, and that would be to add an asterisk next to the find count for anyone who logged the same event more than once. That way those who like to compare themselves to either "type" of 'cacher can readily do so, and those that don't care, don't even have to look at the find count. (I personally don't think that events should even count as a "find," but that is a whole different discussion that has been beaten to death numerous times already).

This practice is only popular in a few areas (primarily the land of bad cheese.)

Torches?

Pitchforks?

I never used either word.

I do not even have a torch or a pitchfork in my geocaching bag but I suppose if I was going to go haying after finding Tube Torcher II then they might come in handy. <_<

I am confident that the majority of the geocachers throughout the world really don't care how many caches I have found.

I am confident that the majority of geocachers throughout the world don't think the number of caches that I have found matters at all, to them or to anyone.

I am confident that the geocachers who want to control others are a very small minority.

I am thankful that Groundspeak has allowed people the freedom to manage their caches in a fashion that they find suitable.

I see a really simple solution, and that would be to add an asterisk next to the find count for anyone who logged the same event more than once.

Are you sure an asterisk next to their find count will do it, maybe they could be made to wear an armband with a star or something? What do you think of that idea? <_<

I see a really simple solution, and that would be to add an asterisk next to the find count for anyone who logged the same event more than once.

Are you sure an asterisk next to their find count will do it, maybe they could be made to wear an armband with a star or something? What do you think of that idea? <_<

I invoke Godwin's Law and ask the mods to kill this thread.

MOOOOOO. I've seen a few (very few) instances of this happening around here. THANKFULLY, most of us (around here at least) realize we can place REAL caches with their very own GC# that ALL can enjoy well after the event is over...ones that reward everyone for a long time to come. Ones that are well thought out and adhere to the guidelines. Now THAT's a practice I can get behind!

Are you sure an asterisk next to their find count will do it, maybe they could be made to wear an armband with a star or something? What do you think of that idea? :unsure:

You know what, I agree with you.

That comment about marking every cacher who practices a different custom with an asterisk is one that I found completely distasteful. The parallel is so clear that Godwin himself would have been surprised.

That poster even suggested that the reason for doing this would be to make those cachers easily identifiable. The remark was deliberate I am sure with the intent to kill the conversation.

How do the additional logs on Event caches create a problem for you?

When my inbox is filled with dozens and dozens of "logging xx cache at xx event" - I have a watch on the event to see the comments about the event not to be spammed with meaningless logs on non-caches.

If logging multiple attended logs on an event cache isn't common practice in your area then you don't have a problem.

If you are bookmarking event caches in other areas where cache owners allow multiple logs then you are creating the problem.

You might have to accept that bookmarking another persons event cache will result in you getting all the logs, not just logs that meet your personal standard.

Not bookmarking event caches where the cache owner will accept multiple logs solves the problem completely.

I have never seen that happen in Alberta where the practice is not common, which event caused this problem for you?

Are you sure an asterisk next to their find count will do it, maybe they could be made to wear an armband with a star or something? What do you think of that idea? :o

You know what, I agree with you.

That comment about marking every cacher who practices a different custom with an asterisk is one that I found completely distasteful. The parallel is so clear that Godwin himself would have been surprised.

That poster even suggested that the reason for doing this would be to make those cachers easily identifiable. The remark was deliberate I am sure with the intent to kill the conversation.

OR, maybe it was an honest attempt at offering a reasonable solution. I find comments which would try to make that comment any more than that tasteless and distracting to the topic. I could be wrong, you might be able to read minds and KNOW what this poster meant....

"Are you sure an asterisk next to their find count will do it, maybe they could be made to wear an armband with a star or something? What do you think of that idea?" I find this comment you made to be offensive and deliberate. ;):unsure: