MOC's - how do regular members log?

Capaldo

I tried to search for this answer without success, so, how does a non-premium member log a members only cache?

I know there's a way to do it by manipulating the url, I just can't figure out how. My kid will be with me on hunts, and I want to track his experiences, but I'm not buying another membership.

Thanks in advance, and if there's a tutorial for using the search function out there, I'd appreciate a link.

Ok, first find and "copy" the GCXXXX of the MOC cache. Then go to any cache page. it doesn't matter. Then click the "log your visit" button on the random cache page. You should see the URL looking something like this "http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=XXXXXX". Replace the "ID" with "WP" and then paste the GCXXXX of the MOC right after the "="(where all the x's are). Hope this helps!

I tried to search for this answer without success, so, how does a non-premium member log a members only cache?

Odd. I would have thought that if a cache owner bothered to make their cache Members Only that they would also delete any logs from non-Premium Members. :o

Actually that is something that we are dealing with currently in this area with another cacher. Peoples opinions are different, and some folks like myself welcome non-members to log their members caches.

The reason I have a cache listed as PMO is because it is a travel bug cache. Their are a fairly good number of trackables in it, and I don't want newbies who don't know about TB's to take them and then not be responsible with them.

If somebody is going to fork out $30 to be a premium member, then they should know the basic elements of the website and how all the game pieces work, and how to log a find, DNF, note, retrieval, drop, or grab!

If a non-member visits my cache with a member, then I will email them the log link so that they can log it.

If I know the non-member, and I have seen that they know their stuff....then I'll send them the log link along with the coordinates and tell them to log it when they find it.

But Geocachers work a lot like college professors (I know that because I am in college) every professor is different, and you may pass a class that you may have otherwise failed with a different professor....because you gotta know their style.

Some cachers may be very open for the public to log their PMO caches, but still others might be overly protective (which is fine to) with their PMO caches such that non-members better not touch it.

We all have to learn to respect each other for our various viewpoints....unless it is completely off the wall, the cache owners have the final say.

Odd. I would have thought that if a cache owner bothered to make their cache Members Only that they would also delete any logs from non-Premium Members. :o

Yeah, and I thought that the people who control the programming on the site wolud have closed that backdoor by now too. :oB):P

Another simple thing to do is to visit the cache page with a premium account and choose log your visit. when on the log entry page, log out and then log in as the non-premium member.

Yes, that is much easier. Thanks for the tip. There are nearly NO MOC caches around here anyway so I probably won't be using that methog anytime soon tho...

Odd. I would have thought that if a cache owner bothered to make their cache Members Only that they would also delete any logs from non-Premium Members. :)

Yeah, and I thought that the people who control the programming on the site wolud have closed that backdoor by now too. :):D:D

One of the reasons is for when non-pms are out caching with PMs. If the PMs have MO caches in their GPS and the Non-PM finds it with them, is it not a find then or is it? Also what if a cacher stumbles upon a MO cache by accident? Its too bad they can't see the cache page that they just found without paying out...

It is Sad that people are not willing to pay the $30.00 per year for the Premium Membership. Its only 2.50 per Month. Heck, Its Less than a pack of cigarettes eac month. If you think of it daily, its only $ .09 per day.

Lets Support the Geocaching Community and just get the membership.

The Steaks

It is Sad that people are not willing to pay the $30.00 per year for the Premium Membership. Its only 2.50 per Month. Heck, Its Less than a pack of cigarettes eac month. If you think of it daily, its only $ .09 per day.

The Steaks

Gosh, no kidding. In the time it took the OP to type the post they could have bought a membership. Seems like a good way to get banned - publicly asking how to cheat the system.

Yeah, and I thought that the people who control the programming on the site wolud have closed that backdoor by now too. :o:(:D

Because caches are meant to be found.

By Premium Members. :ph34r::D:(

Not really, I think this backdoor is left open deliberately. For example there are lots of families that cache together, with mom, dad and the kids all having separate accounts. Thirty dollars may not seem like much but what about $150 for a family of five on a budget? I wouldn't want to have to explain to junior that he can't log a cache that he's found, because I can't afford to buy everyone a premium membership.

I really appreciate that Groundspeak allows this, I hope it stays this way.

Yeah, and I thought that the people who control the programming on the site wolud have closed that backdoor by now too. :(:D:D

Because caches are meant to be found.

By Premium Members. :(:ph34r::o

Not really, I think this backdoor is left open deliberately. For example there are lots of families that cache together, with mom, dad and the kids all having separate accounts. Thirty dollars may not seem like much but what about $150 for a family of five on a budget? I wouldn't want to have to explain to junior that he can't log a cache that he's found, because I can't afford to buy everyone a premium membership.

I really appreciate that Groundspeak allows this, I hope it stays this way.

I agree. Our primary Vinny & Sue Team account is a Premium member account, and our household supports two Premium memberships, as my wife Sue also has a Premium membership under her own account name (Sue-Cat), and we sometimes support a third Premium membership for a friend of mine in The Jackson, WY area who helps me to maintain my extreme caches out there. We also own MANY PMO caches. However, I can easily see that point that anything more than perhaps two Premium memberships could be a strain on many households, and thus I appreciate that the backdoor is open which allows non-PMs to log finds, and I never mind it when locals use that trick to allow their kids or friends to log finds on our PMO caches. We do not happen to need this backdoor feature ourselves, but I appreciate that it is there for folks who may need it! :D

Is it just me, or is this topic officially "off-topic"? I mean, sure, there are lots of feelings on whether or not the "back door" should be fixed or not, but that is not what th OP asked. He asked if there was a way, not if it should be closed. Why does every topic around here turn into angst? Can't people be content with simply answering the question?

The Steaks

Gosh, no kidding. In the time it took the OP to type the post they could have bought a membership. Seems like a good way to get banned - publicly asking how to cheat the system.

The way I read it, it seems to me the OP has a PM, but doesn't want to have to pay for second one for his kid for the times he happens to be with him but still wants to be able to track his finds when he comes along. He IS supporting geocaching, just doesn't want to have to do so twice.

Good case for being able to have some kind of family membership though.

Edited by wandererrob

The Steaks

The way I read it, it seems to me the OP has a PM, but doesn't want to have to pay for second one for his kid for the times he happens to be with him but still wants to be able to track his finds when he comes along. He IS supporting geocaching, just doesn't want to have to do so twice.

Good case for being able to have some kind of family membership though.

I guess what it comes down to is, what is the purpose of MOC's?

Were these invented to prevent non-Premium Members (e.g., muggles) from finding certain caches or to prevent non-Premium Members from logging caches? If it is the former, then allowing non-PM's to log the finds would be OK, but if the latter, then non-PM's should not be allowed to log the find, even if they are geocaching with a PM.

I don't know the history of MOC's. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Just my 2 cents.

Is it just me, or is this topic officially "off-topic"? I mean, sure, there are lots of feelings on whether or not the "back door" should be fixed or not, but that is not what th OP asked. He asked if there was a way, not if it should be closed. Why does every topic around here turn into angst? Can't people be content with simply answering the question?

Maybe because this is a discussion forum, for discussion, not simply a question & answer page? :)

Maybe because this is a discussion forum, for discussion, not simply a question & answer page? :)

Your missing my point. The point is: Why can't people find better things to do, than argue over stupid things like back doors to logging PM caches? I mean common, seriously. Don't you have better things to do with your time? If someone asks a question answer it and be done. No need to start a different topic in the thread, if you feel differently about it, then start you own thread thats open for debate. Thats all I have to say.

I haven't looked at this thread since I got my answer. It's always interesting to see how the discussions here

'broaden'. Since some folks seem to be interested, I'll add a couple bits of information.

I'm a charter member, which means I've been supporting the site from the get-go. In my area, there are very few MOC's, and in most cases, I think the owners just enjoy the audit log. I doubt any of the MOC owners would delete a find by a non-premium member who found the cache with a premium member. Of course, they would be within their rights to do so.

If I thought this was 'cheating' the system, I wouldn't do it or share the method with anyone. With GC.com's website/programming abilities, I'm sure they could have closed the backdoor anytime if it was unacceptable. My understanding is that it was left in place to allow family members to log MOCs without additional memberships.

Your missing my point. The point is: Why can't people find better things to do, than argue over stupid things like back doors to logging PM caches? I mean common, seriously. Don't you have better things to do with your time? If someone asks a question answer it and be done. No need to start a different topic in the thread, if you feel differently about it, then start you own thread thats open for debate. Thats all I have to say.

I am not missing your point. I just don't agree with it. You seem to be unclear on what "topic" refers to. Off-topic refers to the topic of the forum (in this case it is "Geocaching Topics"), not the topic of the thread. What you are complaining about is not "off topic" posts, but side-tracking a thread to a related issue, or hijacking a thread to a totally unrelated issue. I do not like thread-hijacking, but your example it is more like a side-tracking, which to me is OK. (Ironically, this current set of posts between you and me is an example of thread-hijacking.)

Cheers

Edited by UncleJimbo

Maybe because this is a discussion forum, for discussion, not simply a question & answer page? :laughing:

I am not missing your point. I just don't agree with it. You seem to be unclear on what "topic" refers to. Off-topic refers to the topic of the forum (in this case it is "Geocaching Topics"), not the topic of the thread. What you are complaining about is not "off topic" posts, but side-tracking a thread to a related issue, or hijacking a thread to a totally unrelated issue. I do not like thread-hijacking, but your example it is more like a side-tracking, which to me is OK. (Ironically, this current set of posts between you and me is an example of thread-hijacking.)

Cheers

Drop it. Not another word about this in this thread. Please start another thread in Off Topic.

Back to our hacking the system thread.

I haven't looked at this thread since I got my answer. It's always interesting to see how the discussions here

'broaden'. Since some folks seem to be interested, I'll add a couple bits of information.

I'm a charter member, which means I've been supporting the site from the get-go. In my area, there are very few MOC's, and in most cases, I think the owners just enjoy the audit log. I doubt any of the MOC owners would delete a find by a non-premium member who found the cache with a premium member. Of course, they would be within their rights to do so.

If I thought this was 'cheating' the system, I wouldn't do it or share the method with anyone. With GC.com's website/programming abilities, I'm sure they could have closed the backdoor anytime if it was unacceptable. My understanding is that it was left in place to allow family members to log MOCs without additional memberships.

Makes sense. Thanks for the history. :laughing: