Having a cache unarchived

Nakedbamboo

I was wondering about having a cache unarchived. I know it is supposed to be permanent and that I could just as easily go and start a new one at the same place, but it would be for sentimental reasons. It is actually a pretty old cache, and I would like to preserve its history. It was actually the first time I had ever heard of the sport, back in 2001 when we found this cache with a family friend. I didn't get into the sport until this year, and I just happened to come across the listing for the cache (on a whim I searched by Google and found the GC#) because I knew where it was located. I was wondering if reviewers ever unarchive caches so they can be adopted. Just curious since I think it would be more meaningful than an "In Honor Of The Previous Cache That Was Here" kind of cache. If anyone is curious, it is GC1B9C.

I was wondering about having a cache unarchived. I know it is supposed to be permanent and that I could just as easily go and start a new one at the same place, but it would be for sentimental reasons. It is actually a pretty old cache, and I would like to preserve its history. It was actually the first time I had ever heard of the sport, back in 2001 when we found this cache with a family friend. I didn't get into the sport until this year, and I just happened to come across the listing for the cache (on a whim I searched by Google and found the GC#) because I knew where it was located. I was wondering if reviewers ever unarchive caches so they can be adopted. Just curious since I think it would be more meaningful than an "In Honor Of The Previous Cache That Was Here" kind of cache. If anyone is curious, it is GC1B9C.

Once archived the cache is gone. The cache owner can bring it back, and if relisted, then choose to adopt it out. However without their help and coopeartion the archived cache will RIP.

I do know that the semi-OFFCIAL policy is to leave them be and not allow an adoption for any archived cache without some VERY good reason. I don't think sentimentality qualifies.

Not only that, but there's been no cache there for 4 years, so what exactly is being adopted?

The best way for the OP to "preserve the history" is to leave the page alone and hide their own in tribute.

Edited by Quiggle

Not only that, but there's been no cache there for 4 years, so what exactly is being adopted?

The best way for the OP to "preserve the history" is to leave the page alone and hide their own in tribute.

I guess you could say I was wanting to adopt the GC#. I was planning on putting a cache there, regardless, due to its meaning to me. I just wanted to be able to bring it back to life instead creating a "tribute" cache. I understand I may have to do that, but I wanted to check this option out first. I guess a tribute cache just seems kind of cheesy to me. I mean if it is going to be at the exact same spot doing the exact same thing, why not use the old listing. It would be a different situation if I wanted to hide another cache in a different locacation that was nearby (within the 528 feet rule), but I plan on using the exact same place.

I was wondering about having a cache unarchived. <snip> I could just as easily go and start a new one at the same place, but it would be for sentimental reasons. <snip> I would like to preserve its history.<snip> I think it would be more meaningful than an "In Honor Of The Previous Cache That Was Here" kind of cache. If anyone is curious, it is GC1B9C.

I think the best way to honor a archived cache is to place a new cache in honor of the archived cache and provide a link to the archived cache so other can view the page. By unarchiving the old cache you will be encouraging new logs and other activity on the old cache page. Also unarchiving allows the owner or adopter to make changes to the description, coordinates, attributes, etc. on the cache. None of what I would consider as preserving or honoring an archived cache.

I just wanted to be able to bring it back to life instead creating a "tribute" cache. I understand I may have to do that, but I wanted to check this option out first. I guess a tribute cache just seems kind of cheesy to me. I mean if it is going to be at the exact same spot doing the exact same thing, why not use the old listing. It would be a different situation if I wanted to hide another cache in a different locacation that was nearby (within the 528 feet rule), but I plan on using the exact same place.

One good reason to create a new listing is to bring cachers BACK to this special spot. There may not be many cachers around who found the original cache, but for those who are still active it will give them a reason to revisit this spot. If the original cache was simply unarchived they would not have that reason to return.

hmmmm.....i know of one cache in my area that was archived because of a lengthy "needs maintenance" posting, and several DNF's, i went and found the log book unhidden on the ground just after snow melted enough...i thought it was a cool location and offered to adopt the cache...the reviewer said that if i wanted i could replace the logbook and container...it was unarchived with my new logbook etc.