Paper geocaching

palmfish

I discovered geocaching last weekend when a friend brought me along to look for some caches. We printed out 4 cache pages, grabbed a paper 1:50,000 topo map, and hit the road with his Garmin Legend. When we had found our 4 caches, I was ready for more, so we went to the public library (in the area where we had been hunting), got online, and printed out a few more cache pages. I enjoyed the day so much that I've decided to buy a handheld GPS and take my kids (7 and 10) geocaching.

But I've gotta say, I've been doing a lot of reading here over the last few days learning about GPS units and the geocaching community, and I'm getting turned off by all the talk about GPS mapping, electronic compasses, mapping software, waypoints, etc. Seriously, maybe I'm just old-school, but what's wrong with getting a basic GPS unit, a paper map, and hitting the road? I liked the whole "treasure hunt" feel of the day, and it seems to me that we'll have more fun and my kids will learn more about land navigation by using paper and pencil.

Am I missing something? Do I really need to keep a file with 500 waypoints in my hip pocket at all times? Are there any experienced geocachers out there that purposely haven't "moved up" to advanced mapping GPS units because they just plain enjoy having a real map in their hands?

Thanks in advance for the feedback and happy hunting.

I've been playing off and on for 4 years. Started with a monochrome Magellan SporTrak Pro GPSr without the ability to tie it to the computer.

I printed up cache listings, manually input the coordinates and set out.

It works fine, but the most annoying part was spending the time inputting the coordinates, and from time to time, transposing a few digits thereby putting me in the complete wrong area for the hunt.

It no way compares to the game when you can run a pocket query, have those files sitting in the GPSr, and hit the road - Now, this is not quite the same as paperless caching - you are taking a chance that if you didn't run your PQ properly, you will end up with inactive, deactivated, old cache listings, you won't have anything more than the coords and hint and that's it.

With the expansion of the game and the thousands of garbage caches out there, specifically picking a cache by the listing and heading out for it is 100% more rewarding than having everything loaded and seeing "oh, there's another magnetic LPC here at the rest area, might as well grab it".

The only thing I will not give up is the ability to load the cache info without having to manually input everything (aside from the typical Multi and Mystery caches [:(].

The electronic compass definately makes it easier when you are in an area where you can't always move 12ft or so to get a good reading.

I liked the whole "treasure hunt" feel of the day, and it seems to me that we'll have more fun and my kids will learn more about land navigation by using paper and pencil.

I just started geocaching as well. I do it the way you are gps, compass, and printed sheets (minus the topo map.)

I get the kids involved/excited by having them read the numbers to me. I think it increases thier understanding of geography and navigation, and the paper gives us a place to take notes and keep things straight if we do a bunch of caches that day.

Have fun, that's what's it all about!

Edited by diveryan

I have a simple GPS, etrex Vista, that does the trick. I started paperless caching on my Treo (which I already had) and like it, but I must admit it is tedious to send the waypoint from the website to the GPS, download the gpx file, send it to cachemate, convert it, then hot sync. I even had my Tero flip out on me one time and then I had nothing! :P I now also print it out as well. As I'm still a newbie, I'll try it out a little lonjger, but I may just go back to paper.

I have a simple GPS, etrex Vista, that does the trick. I started paperless caching on my Treo (which I already had) and like it, but I must admit it is tedious to send the waypoint from the website to the GPS, download the gpx file, send it to cachemate, convert it, then hot sync. I even had my Tero flip out on me one time and then I had nothing! B) I now also print it out as well. As I'm still a newbie, I'll try it out a little lonjger, but I may just go back to paper.

Since you are a Premium Member, you can get the cache information in Pocket Queries. One PQ contains the information for as many as 500 caches. I open the PQ in GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), filter for that day's adventure, then Export the caches to Cachemate on my Palm M500, and send the waypoints to my GPSr. Once you get the hang of it, it takes less than five minutes to have the data for 500, or more caches, on your PDA. :P

Some cachers actually dispense with the GPS unit as well, relying only on paper maps, the cache description and their "Spidy sense" to find the cache. Every hobby today seems to have lots of gadgets for those with the wallet and desire to buy them. As others have said, the only real requirment is to have fun!

I appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far, thanks. Any more paper caching enthusiasts with comments?

Actually Sputnik57, you reminded me of another question I have. I noted that one could also copy and paste the cache coordinates into Google Earth, print the satellite image, and hit the road without ever using a GPS receiver. It doesn't sound like much of a challenge to me (and my kids wouldn't learn much about land nav/dead reckoning), but I'm wondering if anyone does t this way - or is that considered cheating somehow?

Edited by palmfish

This is not cheating - nothing in the rules says you must use a GPSr... But I don't think it's easier, because Google Earth is not a 100% accurate, and not all regions have good sattelite imagery (Like my place).

I too like paper caching (altough I do not print anything), but I may switch to a mapping unit one day. But until then, I won't complain, my yellow 60 is more than enough.

<snip>

Am I missing something? Do I really need to keep a file with 500 waypoints in my hip pocket at all times? Are there any experienced geocachers out there that purposely haven't "moved up" to advanced mapping GPS units because they just plain enjoy having a real map in their hands.

Back when Geocaching was in its infancy, there were only a few caches and it was easy to plan a trip and just take along a few cache pages, a map, and simple GPSr.

Now, depending on where you live, there might be thousands of caches within a 30-mile radius of your home, as there are where I live. If I am going into the city to run some errands, it takes a lot less preparation time to get a few Pocket Queries, load them into my GPSr and Palm and be prepared to do some caching, if I feel like it. Because I don't know my way around many of the areas of the city, it is a great time, and gas, saver to have my GPSr navigate for me.

If I knew I was going to a very specific area to go hiking and find a few caches, printing out the cache pages and taking a map and basic GPSr would work, but since I already had PDA when I started Geocaching, it was easier to put the data in it than use up printer ink and paper.

As far as using Google Earth to find caches, I have enough trouble finding them with a GPSr that gets me within 30' of GZ. :P I cannot imagine what my DNF ratio would be if I tried this activity without a GPSr. B) That said, there are others who enjoy that challenge and are quite successful caching that way.

I used to print out the pages too. For each cache we found, I'd photograph it. When I got home later, I'd print out the picture and attach it to the papers. I still have that stack of pages, but have gone paperless.

I went to an event that involved about a 7 mile hike through some pretty intense hills. I had painstakingly printed out papers and had them all in a 3-ring binder. When I showed up at event (with only about 50 finds under my belt) with my enormous 3-ring binder in tow, I felt like a laughingstock.

Sometimes I do miss the paper and the ability to write out notes. But, when I pull out my palm (1/10th of the size) and jot down the notes, I realize it was the best option for me.

It's not to say that it's the best option for you.

Continue to do it the way that you do. If, and when, you're ready for a change you'll seek out ways to do it.

That's the greatest aspect of this game. It can be played in so many ways that suit each individual preference.