You can't find the Micro so you put one there you can Find?

Dufer

A finder can't flip down a container and say they have replaced the cache without the verification that it's missing, of they are holding the carcass of the old container in their hands.

Agreed.
Anything other than that is not helping the community. It's also not a find. I'd ask them to change their log and come back and pick up their container to prevent confusion. If they refused, it's time to delete.
I believe the cacher in question already deleted their own find.
The cache rating isn't relevant for replacing the cache in any way. However it's always fair to review a cache rating if there are signs it's not accurate. A 1 difficulty cache should not skunk anyone ever unless it's missing. You may want to up the find difficulty.
Agreed. Well, sort of. I still think it caused some unnecessary confusion on the part of the seeker.
Lastly a cacher with 3000 finds should know that a lot of caches are mis-rated. They should know better than to assume they can walk up and see the cache then plop one down.

Agreed. That's poor judgment, but not necessarily cheating. Edited by Trinity's Crew
The incorrect size and difficulty rating probably caused some confusion. I doubt that anyone was trying to cheat. They were likely trying to help. They THOUGHT they were seeking a difficulty "1" small cache when in fact it's a micro that no one can find. Better descriptions and difficulty ratings may have prevented this problem, IMHO.
I hope I am not wading into a hornets nest by posting about a local issue on a national forum, but I generally agree with the above post.

That's not to say I agree with replacing the cache...I personally believe that, US Americans are unable to do so, because, uh, some people out there in our nation that don't have maps...... :ph34r:

Because U.S. Americans need maps and such and as such in The Iraq, South Africa, and the Asian Countries.
Oh, you guys are just mean . . . :laughing:

How many times did you have to watch U-tube to get the quote correct? :D:ph34r:

I felt kind of bad for her. You could tell that she was expecting a different kind of question and the little gears in her had got jammed when she tried to pull out an answer, but she had to follow through and say something.

This is what happens when you represent a state where they tried to ban geocaching. :D

I think they just plain cheated. :ph34r:

I've replaced a cache container....AFTER the owner posted a note in his cache page log stating "if the next cacher could replace the container...." :ph34r:

Other than this type of helpful maintenance replacement, I wouldn't think of just dropping a new cache container.

That's just plain cheating. :laughing:

Edited by ventura_kids

After further consideration I must concede one point. Regardless of whether the cacher thought he was helping out or not there is NO way he should have logged a "Found It" on a cache that he (re)placed.

Oh, I don't believe for a moment that the finder was 'helping out'. The 'can't find the cache, so I'll put out one and log it' mentality is focused on 'finds', not altruism.

The incorrect size and difficulty rating probably caused some confusion. I doubt that anyone was trying to cheat. They were likely trying to help. They THOUGHT they were seeking a difficulty "1" small cache when in fact it's a micro that no one can find. Better descriptions and difficulty ratings may have prevented this problem, IMHO.
I hope I am not wading into a hornets nest by posting about a local issue on a national forum, but I generally agree with the above post.

That's not to say I agree with replacing the cache...I personally believe that, US Americans are unable to do so, because, uh, some people out there in our nation that don't have maps...... ;)

Because U.S. Americans need maps and such and as such in The Iraq, South Africa, and the Asian Countries.
Oh, you guys are just mean . . . ;)

How many times did you have to watch U-tube to get the quote correct? :o:(

I felt kind of bad for her. You could tell that she was expecting a different kind of question and the little gears in her had got jammed when she tried to pull out an answer, but she had to follow through and say something.

This is what happens when you represent a state where they tried to ban geocaching. :(

Who, me? How many times did I have to watch You Tube? I haven't, and I'm sure I didn't get the quote correct, that was just from memory from hearing it on TV and the radio. ;) But Mr. T succeeded where I failed, I really wanted to work the whole South Carolina and their attempt at banning caching, into it. ;)

We have a cacher in our area who does it a lot. We just delete his finds and anyone after who found it and let them know why.

Even the #1 cacher would at least contact the owner before doing something like that. We have done it many times. A cacher went through the trouble of making it hard, the finder should just keep on trying if it is there. If it isn't, contact the owner to have them check it or ask for a hint. But to replace it with an easier one so they have a find is just not right.

Edited by jellis50

Hi All,

Being fairly new to caching I can not for the life of me figure why to incorrectly log or make a cache easier seems to defeat the whole point. You know the ones you have found / or not! How many of these can you continually cheat on. I mean to have bragging rights you need to have found at least a thousand caches! To get that many you have to be dedicated and love caching. I am only in the 150 caches region and would not dream of cheating myself by registering a faulty claim and am proud of the ones that I have found, some of them took a lot of head scratching, but lots of fun was had B) .

And to end, is fun not the reason to cache!

Steve