PDA Question.

toonces

Hi, I have been reading the foums for 2yrs now. first time posting so excuse the me if this does go right. i would like give paperless a try. I currently have an older Palm M125 with a 512mb Sd removable card. Also a Magellan Sport Trak. Is the m125 okay for cachemate, or do I need to upgrade to m500, 505, or 515?

Hi, I have been reading the foums for 2yrs now. first time posting so excuse the me if this does go right. i would like give paperless a try. I currently have an older Palm M125 with a 512mb Sd removable card. Also a Magellan Sport Trak. Is the m125 okay for cachemate, or do I need to upgrade to m500, 505, or 515?

The Palm M125 should work fine. Most "Paperless Programs" require the OS to be 3.0 or later. Give Cachemate a try....best $8.00 you'll ever spend IMHO. Good Luck, Cache on!

I just took the plunge and purchased a Palm IIIc with all the goodies. I am having a problem with the USB to 9-pin adapter. The computer says it needs drivers. I would think it would just be plug and play. Anyone else out there have a similar problem trying to hot-synch thier Palm via USB?

The Palm M125 should work fine. Most "Paperless Programs" require the OS to be 3.0 or later. Give Cachemate a try....best $8.00 you'll ever spend IMHO. Good Luck, Cache on!

I just wanted to repeat the suggestion of Cachemate. I have a Palm M500 and have been using Cachemate on it for 2 1/2 years now. With the small data card I have, I can hold information for several thousand caches (in different databases for easier Searching).

I recommend getting a PDA that connects with USB as the Palm M500 does. A friend purchased one of those on eBay for only $30.00, including the shipping. :D

I just took the plunge and purchased a Palm IIIc with all the goodies. I am having a problem with the USB to 9-pin adapter. The computer says it needs drivers. I would think it would just be plug and play. Anyone else out there have a similar problem trying to hot-synch thier Palm via USB?

Yes those require drivres on XP and Vista and are sometimes a pain to get up and running.

Unless it actually says "Plug-n-Play", it's probably not. You should have gotten a driver disc along with the adapter. I use a Kensington USB to Serial adapter, and although it's a little bulky, it works great.

I just wanted to repeat the suggestion of Cachemate. I have a Palm M500 and have been using Cachemate on it for 2 1/2 years now. With the small data card I have, I can hold information for several thousand caches (in different databases for easier Searching).

I recommend getting a PDA that connects with USB as the Palm M500 does. A friend purchased one of those on eBay for only $30.00, including the shipping. :)

The Palm m125 is USB compatible. Mine uses a USB cradle, but I believe if you had a serial cradle that would work as well. I have Hotsynced using only the Infrared port as well, which is pretty cool, point and sync.

To answer the OP, I have pretty much the exact same setup, a m125 with a 512SD card. Cachemate will work fine on it, I have it installed on mine.

For loading caches I use a method using GSAK and Sunrise XP to create files for Plucker. I have several thousand caches loaded on the SD card, and given the Palm only has 8MB internal, that SD card is like a bottomless pit, I have all my programs loaded on it and can run solely from the SD card in the event I need to swap batteries and loose the internal data/ settings.

If you have Windows Vista, you will need the latest version of Palm Desktop from their website. Even then, at least from my experience with it, all it does is syncs the Palm, and you can't manage the data through it. You may encounter other problems, Vista and Palm don't seem to like each other.

The Palm m125 is USB compatible. Mine uses a USB cradle, but I believe if you had a serial cradle that would work as well. I have Hotsynced using only the Infrared port as well, which is pretty cool, point and sync.

To answer the OP, I have pretty much the exact same setup, a m125 with a 512SD card. Cachemate will work fine on it, I have it installed on mine.

For loading caches I use a method using GSAK and Sunrise XP to create files for Plucker. I have several thousand caches loaded on the SD card, and given the Palm only has 8MB internal, that SD card is like a bottomless pit, I have all my programs loaded on it and can run solely from the SD card in the event I need to swap batteries and loose the internal data/ settings.

If you have Windows Vista, you will need the latest version of Palm Desktop from their website. Even then, at least from my experience with it, all it does is syncs the Palm, and you can't manage the data through it. You may encounter other problems, Vista and Palm don't seem to like each other.

i have a m125, can't seem to find how you load to the card,all my cache's go on the internal 8 MB,Airmapper can you tell me how to load to the card, the only problem i see with the m125 when the batteries go bad i have to reload everything even cachemate if i find out how to load to the card mybe this will help,,, but the M125 is a good unit works great,, got it from ebay used $10.00

:)

i have a m125, can't seem to find how you load to the card,all my cache's go on the internal 8 MB,Airmapper can you tell me how to load to the card, the only problem i see with the m125 when the batteries go bad i have to reload everything even cachemate if i find out how to load to the card mybe this will help,,, but the M125 is a good unit works great,, got it from ebay used $10.00

:)

When it is on the "Home" page where the ions are, you go to the menu up top, and select "Copy." Select the card as the destination (should be selected already) and copy everything in the Palms internal memory to the card. (Some things may not go, but thats okay, you probably won't need it to run, and it will be restored next Hotsync.) I believe most files can be sent directly to the card during Hotsync, just change the destination in the Installer program before Sync.