Do people take pre-sales to fund making coins?

rinseandspit

I have read through some of these posts, and am wondering, are these presales from companies that make the coins? or from cachers themselves who are designing coins, and taking pre-sales and pre-orders to generate the money to make the coin?

I'd love to make a coin, but the price is a bit steep for me to allow myself to buy 100 myself. Is this type of idea ok in the community standards? is it regularly done? is it frowned upon?

If this is a normal thing, maybe I'll design one and see if there's any interest so some other geocachers could help me "split" the cost so it's not so hefty....

-RinseAndSpit

Many pre-sales are done by coin makers with a healthy track record. They are well known to the geocoin community and in good standing. And their designs are impressive enough that the fear of a sellout moves buyers to pay in advance to avoid getting skunked when the coin goes on sale.

Post your artwork here and get a feel from the feedback as to what you can expect. Otherwise contact one of the commercial makers and see if they'll front you, or take the project from you and give you enough freebies to keep you reasonably happy.

Caching for less than week and already minting a coin? I suggest waiting a few months to see if you really like the hobby and are going to stick with it before going through the time and effort for a project like this.

I don't want to sound rude here, but I really don't see what the length of time I've been geocaching really has to do with it. If I've been going it for a day, or the past 25 years....how does either one effect my ability to design a coin in illustrator and enter my credit card number into a form at a website?

Again, I am not trying to be a jerk or start a fight, but why would you discourage someone new to the sport who was interested in doing something like this?

-RinseAndSpit

I don't think 9key is trying to discourage you at all.

We have been caching a while and have seen people come in and be gung ho and ready to mint 10 coins, and all that, but then be gone a month later. It is a very large expense, and his advise is not bad advise at all.

That being said, you are certainly welcome to mint a coin, and sell it if you like. I personally, only buy personal coins from people who have been caching a while. I've gotten stuck once with a coin from somebody who sold a coin, but found 5 caches and quit.

I also wouldn't pay for a pre-sale coin from someone that I don't know or has no reputation within the GC community.

Caching for less than week and already minting a coin? I suggest waiting a few months to see if you really like the hobby and are going to stick with it before going through the time and effort for a project like this.

I don't want to sound rude here, but I really don't see what the length of time I've been geocaching really has to do with it. If I've been going it for a day, or the past 25 years....how does either one effect my ability to design a coin in illustrator and enter my credit card number into a form at a website?

Again, I am not trying to be a jerk or start a fight, but why would you discourage someone new to the sport who was interested in doing something like this?

-RinseAndSpit

Think what he is trying to say is that in order to get people to prepay on a coin that is personal. A good geocaching history is a plus! Otherwise it just seems to be another commercial geocoin and we all know there are plenty of those already out there. :D

If you're ideas are good, they will be in a couple of months too when you've been around awhile and people know you and that you're serious about caching. Take some time to enjoy it all before you start in with the headaches of coins! Yeah, there's money to be made, but there are also a lot of migraines to be had!

Welcome to GC.

If you're ideas are good, they will be in a couple of months too when you've been around awhile and people know you and that you're serious about caching. Take some time to enjoy it all before you start in with the headaches of coins! Yeah, there's money to be made, but there are also a lot of migraines to be had!

Welcome to GC.

I just want to make it clear that making money is not my goal! I just thought it'd be fun. I really didn't predict this kind of reaction.

RnS

I will second the motion of getting a good feel for all us crazies here first. We enjoy the coins we make and the great friends that have come along with being involved here. But the headaches mentioned are for sure a big part of it also. It has a lot of time and desire to go along with most coin projects of any size and it can be quite an undertaking. If you decide to join our insane ranks,,,, Welcome.

Mike finally sat down last night and finished his design. I personally think it will make a really unique coin. I can safely say at this point that there is nothing out there like his idea. We will be sending the idea to a coin manufacturer and finding out the cost to produce probably within the next week (for quote return). I'm not sure how the mint will be able to make the one side happen. Mike's idea may be sound, but we won't know until it is attempted.

We considerd the presale avenue to fund production BUT after experience with this as a buyer, I don't think so. I don't like waiting for anything and when the mint messes up and has to redo coins OR is running behind schedule, it just makes things worse! Bad enough that we will be waiting, why make some one else wait too? We will be making the coins on our own dime, credit card, whatever.

Well... I have been watching this thread develop and nobody gave you an answer to the thread topic.

The short answer is Yes.

If you have a design you want produced, shop it around.. For a personal coin, I don't think anyone will beat Geocoinshop as far as price goes, but like I said - shop it around.

Check the pinned threads for coin producers - everyone uses the same mint, but not everyone nik-piks charges for everything like textures and colors.

I am neither encouraging or discouraging you to have a coin minted, I am however asking you to get multiple quotes. Those you email for a quote who are interested in minting it will be reasonable. You will have your answer from them if you hear nothing at all.

Just my personal humble opinion. Good Luck

~Jim

Edit: Grammar

Edited by CinemaBoxers

Several of the commercial coin companies accept ideas for new coins from "the community". You could send your idea(s) in and see if there's an interest in producing the coin(s). The designer usually gets a number of "free" coins for the use of their idea. This might be the way to go if you just want to see your idea produced & have a few to keep/trade.

Of course since you are so very new to this you might want to browse a couple of the coin collection websites first to see the kinds of coins that have been produced in the past. Not that there's anything wrong with being a newbie, it's just that the coins you see currently on the forums are a very small percentage of the coins that have been made. I've seen new people come in very excited about their idea only to find out that there are several coins already that are very similar to the ideas they had.

Those of us who are advising you to wait and get to know the community before making a coin are not trying to discourage you. It’s just, that having been here a while, we have some experience with making coins. (That is why you posted the topic isn’t it? To ask for our opinions.)

And since you’re asking about alternative ways to finance a coin (as opposed to paying for them yourself) you need to keep in mind that most people are going to be leery of sending money, in advance, to someone they don’t know. It’s kind of like the difference between loaning your expensive power tools to the neighbor you’ve known well for several years and the guy who just moved in across the street last week.

Windrose

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Windrose