Hand Made Geocoins

comfortablynumb63

When our family first started geocaching, some hand-made tokens were being circulated around as travel bugs. Now that my wood-carving skills have improved dramatically, I have started to make geocoins with designs carved on pine, cedar, & basswood.

After reading the information on geocoins, it indicated that geocoins can be designed and purchased through certain vendors. What if I want to start circulating mine? Can I assign tracking numbers to the coins I have made and put them out in some local caches?

I'm not looking to sell the coins, but wanted to do something unique, similar to a "wooden" nickel, only the coins I've made have Boy Scout or Indian design on them (our 3 boys are involved in Scouting)...

Just curious whether this would be OK?

Can you put a TB number on the coin and just not issue the TB tag, in effect transferring the tag number to the coin?

Don't see why not, assuming you have properly purchased the tag and number. But, I believe that I would rather just attach the tag in some way to ensure that finders know what they are seeing and log accordingly. Otherwise, too much chance the object just disappears.

Another option is travelertags.com. They will give you some free tracking numbers. Of course, they are only trackable through travelertags.com would not be trackable on geocaching.com. I used them for a wooden nickel I had once. It works pretty well, imo, and is another option for those wanting to track their sig items, or anythign else for that matter.

I read all the rules and requirements, and I guess the best thing to do would be to create the coins, and put them in caches, but not use Groundspeak to track them. (frankly, I'm looking to made a total of 10, not 250!!!), but follow their path through the logs...

I remember when geocaching wasn't so commercialized!!!

Supporting Groundspeak for all the work they do to make geocaching available to as many people who play now IS a commercial undertaking. Many of us pay to play through memberships or buying items whose royalties or fees help support Groundspeak.

You can still play for free and track your sigitems off the Groundspeak servers as was done long before Moun10Bike started THIS particular craze.