Removing a DNF from log after a find

Abe Cobbchap

We're relatively new to geocaching, and I have a question about DNFs. Several times we've looked, not found the cache, and logged a DNF, only to later go back and find it. (That's then logged as a find.) My question. Are you supposed to leave your original DNF log in place? I ask because I occasionally look through the list of my DNFs as found in my profile so I can hunt some outstanding ones, but it shows all DNF logs - including those I later found.

While it would be nice to have an easy list of those caches I've tried to find, I'd rather not delete evidence of previous DNFs if that's considered bad form.

Thanks in advance for the replies . . .

Abe Cobbchap

Houston, TX

We're relatively new to geocaching, and I have a question about DNFs. Several times we've looked, not found the cache, and logged a DNF, only to later go back and find it. (That's then logged as a find.) My question. Are you supposed to leave your original DNF log in place? I ask because I occasionally look through the list of my DNFs as found in my profile so I can hunt some outstanding ones, but it shows all DNF logs - including those I later found.

While it would be nice to have an easy list of those caches I've tried to find, I'd rather not delete evidence of previous DNFs if that's considered bad form.

Abe Cobbchap

Houston, TX

Welcome to the Forums! :unsure:

I leave my original DNF/DNFs intact and add a "Found it" log when/if I finally find the cache. If you DNF a cache, you can add it to your Watchlist so you will get subsequent logs.

Abe Cobbchap

Houston, TX

It's not bad form and it's up to you. I put my entire history into one find log including my past failed attempts. This makes all my DNFs caches that I still need to find or never will because they were archived. :unsure:

Theres absolutely no shame in logging a DNF. We all were newbies at one time. And, most probably, nearly all of us thought the same way, that a DNF didnt look good on our stats, or it seemed to be some sort of failing on our part. I know that was the case for me. But this is a game, where both finds and DNF's are equally a part of the game. As you progress, you will find that DNFs are actually useful to both subsequent finders, and owners of caches. Its useful to other finders as the logs can give clues to what or where to look for. They are useful to owners as a string of DNFs can indicate a problem with the cache. A lot of my maintenance visits are based on DNF logs for my caches.

Cheers

Bundy

I don't think you should tamper with a cache's history. DNFs, even old ones, are important information for the owner and other geocachers.

I know if I see a cache that has no DNFs I will assume it should be a slam dunk easy find and probably give up after a few minutes of searching, assuming it's gone. If I see DNFs sprinkled among the logs, that tells me that the cache might take some searching and I will put in some extra time.

Also, as an owner I will page through my cache's logs from time to time to see if my difficulty ratings mesh with the find/DNF ratio. If DNFs are removed (or not logged in the first place) it will not give me an accurate picture of the difficulty of the cache.

Thanks for the replies. I actually went through a lot of forum posts and didn't see the one that pretty much answered it. Good ideas about the separate DNF list. It's good to know there's no (well, not much) shame in a DNF.

Thanks, all!

Shame? No way! Sometimes a DNF log is one of the best logs to read - or to post. There can be some great stories behind a DNF. Even if there isn't a good story and the only reason I didn't find the cache is because I was being brain dead I still don't find shame in it. Heck, if I can't laugh at myself I'm in pretty sad shape. Besides, it would be pretty lonley being the ONLY person I know who never laughs at me! :D

At last count I had 135 DNFs. Roughly a 1 out of every 5 ratio. It proves to the world that I'm the planet's worst geocacher. Not ashamed of it. We can't be good at everything.
I think your DNF/Find ratio depends more on your caching habits. For example, I won't go look for any cache that has already been DNFed. I also won't look for caches that are in high muggle areas because I don't like feeling stupid and those caches always get muggled. So the ratio doesn't really just reflect how good or bad you are. I think my ratio is much lower for those reasons. Edited by TrailGators
At last count I had 135 DNFs. Roughly a 1 out of every 5 ratio. It proves to the world that I'm the planet's worst geocacher. Not ashamed of it. We can't be good at everything.
I think your DNF/Find ratio depends more on your caching habits. For example, I won't go look for any cache that has already been DNFed. I also won't look for caches that are in high muggle areas because I don't like feeling stupid and those caches always get muggled. So the ratio doesn't really just reflect how good or bad you are. I think my ratio is much lower for those reasons.

What's sad is that my habits are similar to yours and I still can't find the things. :P

I think your DNF/Find ratio depends more on your caching habits. For example, I won't go look for any cache that has already been DNFed. I also won't look for caches that are in high muggle areas because I don't like feeling stupid and those caches always get muggled. So the ratio doesn't really just reflect how good or bad you are. I think my ratio is much lower for those reasons.

What's sad is that my habits are similar to yours and I still can't find the things. :P

I was trying to help you out. :P I also typically cache in a group. So more eyes searching reduces DNFs as well. By the way, have you tried eating some Wheaties? :D Edited by TrailGators

Thanks for the replies. I actually went through a lot of forum posts and didn't see the one that pretty much answered it. Good ideas about the separate DNF list. It's good to know there's no (well, not much) shame in a DNF.

Thanks, all!

I recent was the first DNF on a cache that I was aiming to be a FTF on it was unique to me so I wrote about it: First to not find

Be proud it shows you are not perfect and adds to the fun :P

if you're worried about any shame attached to posting a DNF, just take a quick look at your profile. Nowhere is it recorded how many caches you DNF'ed, just the ones you've found.
It does tell you but I can't go to get a screenshot to show you because the site is down.

yes, I know where you're talking about, in the My Geocaching Logs section of My Account, filtered by log type. But that's not publicly available info. Looking at your profile, I don't see any list of how many caches you DNFed, as was my point <_<.

if you're worried about any shame attached to posting a DNF, just take a quick look at your profile. Nowhere is it recorded how many caches you DNF'ed, just the ones you've found.
It does tell you but I can't go to get a screenshot to show you because the site is down.

yes, I know where you're talking about, in the My Geocaching Logs section of My Account, filtered by log type. But that's not publicly available info. Looking at your profile, I don't see any list of how many caches you DNFed, as was my point :( .

OIC.

Gee.. my DNF rate is more like 1:10. Is that because I am twice as good as you, or do you go for caches that are twice as hard? :cool: :cool: :cool:

I enjoy reading DNF on my caches , infact i am told that cachers have looked 3 and 4 times for my caches and do not log them they only tell you this after they find them .I have read many funny stories about these caches and think they should not be deleted here 1 for Turtle bridge - April 27 by arcs (823 found)

OK, OK I give. Third time unlucky today, even with the help of 2 more of the ARCS clan. When I find this, and I will, I'm going to jump off that there bridge so I don't have to go thru this again. Gaahhhhh. I must be just staring at it! DNF 's are gold you can tell a great story here,s another June 28 by Two Buccaneers (117 found)

Arrrrrrr … This seems to be a very smart cache indeed… me and me first mate ‘ave been hornswaggled again! Thie ‘ere be our third attempt to uncover th’ hiding place o’ this booty! Seems ye can hide yer booty from the likes o’ the Two Buccaneers! I ne’er be livin’ this down… dont delete your DNFs and put some effert into them