Offensive cache name?

GC14WRZ

Hopefully that is linked right as I didn't really want to put the name of the cache on this page.

Is it just us, or is that an offensive name, and if so, what would be the next step if you have already notified the reviewer that was the one that published it and he hasn't responded or done anything and he has since published other caches since then, so you know he's around.

I don't know if that is taboo in your region. Maybe it isn't. Was the name changed after the cache was published or did the reviewer publish it like that.

The reason I ask is where I live I don't worry about offending someone because I waved with my left hand or sat with my bottom of my feet towards someone. Point being what is an insult in one portion of the globe has no significance whatsoever in another.

It is possible that the reviewer may be working with the cache owner on this issue in private. Since the cache page is only one day old, I suggest allowing a bit more time.

It is usually best to allow issues to be handled locally, but after there has been an adequate opportunity with no visible result, you could send your concern to contact@geocaching.com

Hope this helps.

It's in a Christian, although somewhat secular country.

It's been online a few days now, it was published like that. I sent two messages, one through the geocaching.com site and one through the Swedish geocaching site. and haven't heard anything back.

I'll give it a little more time. We leave to London tomorrow and don't come back until Friday, maybe by then it will be addressed.

I just don't want to jump the gun, ya know! :D

It may be a knee jerk reaction on my part, but if caches with a positive religious message are not allowed, why would a cache be allowed where the name is what most people consider a curse?

I can remember a time not so long ago when I would have been shocked by language like that (I guess I maybe had a sheltered childhood). If the desire of this site is to be family friendly (as they claim) the name needs to be changed.

Skisidedown.

I may not be the model example of what a Christian is supposed to be but I find that cache name offensive. Even if I couldn't care less about it personally I would still say it is offensive because I can see how it might upset a lot of other people.

Folks need to think outside of their own little world more often, especially when dealing with a diverse community (i.e. Geocachers).

If nothing else it is in very bad taste.

The name should be changed.

my 2c.

I put the name into a free Swedish to English translator. It comes up as Good Dam. It's beside a sawmill.

Yeah, I tried the same thing with another translator; it came up with "good dusting".

At this point, we're not unlike those Muslims who were incensed by a tire tread that looked much like the script written name for Allah.

I put the name into a free Swedish to English translator. It comes up as Good Dam. It's beside a sawmill.

Nope, your translator is wrong. Besides, I speak Swedish.

Damm is a pond:

English entry word

pond

pool of water; basin

Swedish translation

damm, tjärn, vattensamling, liten sjö (substantiv)

Composition

the Pond---{informellt} {skämtsamt} pölen, Atlanten

irrigation pond---bevattningsdamm

duck pond---ankdamm

Swedish entry word

damm [dam:] dammen dammar noun

vattensamling, bassäng

English translation

dam; pond, pool

here is the definition of dam translated over to Swedish:

Swedish entry word

fördämning [för_d'em:ning] fördämningen fördämningar noun

anläggning för att hejda vatten, dammbyggnad

English translation

dam

Examples

alla fördämningar brast---all dams burst

God is good in Swedish, though, it did get that part right!

Swedish entry word

god el. vard. go [go:d] gott goda adj.

comp.: nbetter, bestn bra, fin (in informal Swedish, ngon)

English translation

good

ant. bad

Examples

god effekt---good effect

god hjälp---a lot of help

god kondition---good shape

god sikt---good visibility

god vän---close friend

Yep. It's not offensive in Swedish.

I wonder if the Swedes have gotten used to seeing the name "Brad Pitt" in their media?

We laugh at Mr. Pecker...

It is offensive as it isn't Swedish, it's English.

For the second time, I speak Swedish. Look at my location.

Edited by mousekakat

What determines whether it is English or Swedish? I took it to mean good pond. (Grandma was Norwegian) How are you so certain that the name of the cache is the only English on the page?

As it was placed in Sweden and the cache name translates into something benign in Swedish I was not offended. But that is just me.

Because "dam-n" is not a word in Swedish.

Damm means pond or dust. Did you even read the definitions or the fact that I speak Swedish, or does that mean nothing to you at all?

Even the forum here automatically blocks using the word.

Edited by mousekakat

Mousekakat. Let me play Devil's advocate. First, I do find the cache name offensive, however, being an American, I believe in FREEDOM of Speech. I think that you are an American too. I know that you are not in the states now. I find it offensive for the Lord's name to be taken in vain. But I also believe in a person's right to their own beliefs and their right to express it, even it it offends me. I would not do anything myself to get the cache name changed. That's me, but you also have the right to complain and to do what you think you need to do. See how that works.... agree to disagree.

Yep. It's not offensive in Swedish.

I wonder if the Swedes have gotten used to seeing the name "Brad Pitt" in their media?

We laugh at Mr. Pecker...

It is offensive as it isn't Swedish, it's English.

For the second time, I speak Swedish. Look at my location.

I speak swedish? That somehow doesn't sound right, how about Scandinavian. I speak United States?

anyway, what is offensive to one (or misinterpreted) is fine by others. Let it go. Since this sport started in the U.S. lets just follow that whole "Freedom of Speech" thingy for now.

or the fact that I speak Swedish, or does that mean nothing to you at all?

So, by your logic, the fact that I say I am the greatest cacher alive means that I am the greatest cacher alive.

I always knew that was true. :blink:

I also believe in freedom of speech, and yes, I'm also originally from the states. I don't care about the dam word, but the G*d addition to it bothers both me and my Swedish husband. It's the one curse word we don't use in our house.

FWIW, we don't have the slightest problem with cursing otherwise and have been known to colorfuilly pepper our speech with it... in both languages, lol!

It's also an appearance thing. I, personally, don't think it leads to making a good impression for those who look on the listings in Sweden and see it there. It looks really bad.

I also believe in freedom of speech, and yes, I'm also originally from the states. I don't care about the dam word, but the G*d addition to it bothers both me and my Swedish husband. It's the one curse word we don't use in our house.

FWIW, we don't have the slightest problem with cursing otherwise and have been known to colorfuilly pepper our speech with it... in both languages, lol!

It's also an appearance thing. I, personally, don't think it leads to making a good impression for those who look on the listings in Sweden and see it there. It looks really bad.

it looks bad TO YOU.

maybe I find mousekakat offensive. it is disturbing TO ME. That doesn't give me the right to have your name banned around the world, or even here in our little forums.

don't like it? Ignore the listing.

I speak Swedish, US English and some Spanish. There is no language called Scandinavian, silly...the greatest cacher alive you may be, but linguist, lol? There is only a Scandinavian language group.

From our friend Wikipedia:

Scandinavian languages

Main articles: North Germanic languages

The codified standard languages of Scandinavia are often classified as belonging to either an East Scandinavian branch (Danish and Swedish) or a West Scandinavian branch (Norwegian, Icelandic, and Faroese). [34]

Most dialects of Danish, Norwegian and Swedish, are mutually intelligible, and Scandinavians can easily understand each other's standard languages as they appear in print and are heard on radio and television. The reason why Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are traditionally viewed as different languages, rather than dialects of one common language, is that they each are well established standard languages in their respective countries. They are related to, but not mutually intelligible with, the other North Germanic languages, Icelandic and Faroese, which are descended from Old West Norse.

I speak Swedish, US English and some Spanish. There is no language called Scandinavian, silly...the greatest cacher alive you may be, but linguist, lol? There is only a Scandinavian language group.

From our friend Wikipedia:

Scandinavian languages

Main articles: North Germanic languages

The codified standard languages of Scandinavia are often classified as belonging to either an East Scandinavian branch (Danish and Swedish) or a West Scandinavian branch (Norwegian, Icelandic, and Faroese). [34]

Most dialects of Danish, Norwegian and Swedish, are mutually intelligible, and Scandinavians can easily understand each other's standard languages as they appear in print and are heard on radio and television. The reason why Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are traditionally viewed as different languages, rather than dialects of one common language, is that they each are well established standard languages in their respective countries. They are related to, but not mutually intelligible with, the other North Germanic languages, Icelandic and Faroese, which are descended from Old West Norse.

So then you saw this part too "Swedish (svenska (help·info)) is a North Germanic language (also called Scandinavian languages) "

It is a part of, not it is. I guess you missed this part...

The reason why Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are traditionally viewed as different languages, rather than dialects of one common language, is that they each are well established standard languages in their respective countries.

Jhwk, you wanna discuss the topic or continue to discuss me? If it's the latter, take it to pm.

Men, om du tror att kanske du vet lite mer än vad jag kan på svenska, snälla, förtsatta med din förklaring! Särskilt sedan svenska är inte mitt modersmål, jag har bara tränat för nästan åtta år på det!

it looks bad TO YOU.

maybe I find mousekakat offensive. it is disturbing TO ME. That doesn't give me the right to have your name banned around the world, or even here in our little forums.

don't like it? Ignore the listing.

I must strongly agree here with the comments made so far by Jhwk, Briansnat and CoyoteWhips, as follows:

First, mousekatkat, if you are offended, the act of "being offended" lies entirely in your mind, in your perception and judgment.

Next, I firmly believe in the right of freedom of speech; that is one of the founding principles of the USA.

Mousekitkat, what you are telling us is that because you find this word personally offensive, you choose to force your views and your judgments upon the rest of the world, including the geocaching community.

Mousekitkat, if you REALLY do not like the name of the cache, why not put it on your ignore list instead of whining about it here to us?

I personally do not find the term offensive. Even if the cache hider did intend the English-language translation for the cache name, it is only a term consisting of two words. Many years ago, I spent years at a famed Catholic university on the East Coast. For some reason, while in my undergraduate years, I took a number of theology courses. My professor in my World Theology-Religions of the World series of courses was a rather famous (in the realms of theeology) elderly Roman Catholic priest/scholar who held four PhDs in theology, one of them earned at the Sorbonne. A point which he made while talking one day about the fact that some persons claimed to find the term in question (i.e., "G*d D**mn") offensive was this, and I must paraphrase a bit, due to passage of years:

"The same people who tell us that this term is so very offensive are the same people who tell us that their God created everything in the universe, including H*ll and d*mnation. So, the reality is that when someone says ""G*d D**mn", all they are really saying is that they acknowledging that God created H*ll too, and at most they may be invoking or referencing a part of God's blessed creation. So where is the harm? Where is the offense, except for the narrowness and banality of the minds of those who complain?"

Lastly, mouskitkat, the reality is that there are a great many cache listing pages which contain, in either the cache title or in the cache description or in the log entries on the cache listing page, words which you or some other persons would find offensive. In fact, I wrote what amounted to an encyclopedia illustrating such usage in response to a post similar to yours on this forum about 7 months ago. If I can ever find that post using the Search feature, I will be happy to post the link here in this thread.

1. Yes, I find it offensive. Personally, I'd probably log my feelings with the reviewer and then mark it as ignored.

2. The idea of (Constitutionally protected) free speech is that, theorhetically and in most cases, the government can not pass a law that would limit your speech. That is not to say that there can't and shouldn't be certain limits to what private organizations may find acceptable. Groundspeak has moderators, such as briansnat and gpsfun, here in large part to limit or direct what is said in the forums. Part of their job is to squash offensive talk. No?

3. CoyoteWhips, though I'm not familiar with the specific tire tread issue, so far I don't see anyone rioting or threatening to kill anyone over this, so I think your statement is a bit off.

Dave / DudleyGrunt

To shift the focus slightly - if I were to set a a cache with a name like "God is Good", or "Praise Allah" or "your choice of diety is great", would it be allowed - hypothetically?

If it would be allowed, then even though I find the cache in question offensive, it should also be allowed. If the cache names I have suggested would be opposed, then I suggest that this cache should be removed, unless it holds up that the local translation means something other than what we see. For cry'n out loud, there is a town in this Province called Dildo - I can't find out what that meant 200 years ago either!

Skisidedown.

Ya know, I asked a simple question if others found it offensive and what should be done.

I didn't ask to be grilled, mocked, or for anyone to judge me or my beliefs.

A simple yes, I find it offensive, or no, I don't find it offensive would have sufficed.

To make me have to go on the defensive over it is just wrong.

I'm sorry I came here and asked.

no, I don't find it offensive

happy?

edit:

Apologize if I came off a bit strong. Should have cut you some slack since you are relatively new to the sport and the forums (Saturday, June 30, 2007). But beware, the forums here are "mostly" full of free speech and strong opinions. Don't shy away, there are a lot of good folks willing to help out and discuss all the topics that surround our favorite sports.

the whole "speak swedish' thing just sounded wrong to my back-hills, ozark ears.

Have a great evening.

Edited by Jhwk

Ya know, I asked a simple question if others found it offensive and what should be done.

A simple yes, I find it offensive, or no, I don't find it offensive would have sufficed.

So you're offended by the name of the cache, AND by people giving their opinion that you asked for?

You're not judging the owners of the cache in question?

It's seems a little hypocritical to me for someone to question the beliefs of others, but then to get upset when they get questioned themselves.

I also believe in freedom of speech, and yes, I'm also originally from the states. I don't care about the dam word, but the G*d addition to it bothers both me and my Swedish husband. It's the one curse word we don't use in our house. ...
Interesting.

It actually bothers me less when God is added to the word. Since He is the one with the power and authority to do it, who am I to second guess him. I doubt that he is rallied to take this action based on the name of a geocache, however.

In my opinion, this is a non-issue.

I'm a little slow and see that mouskakat has already posted, but I did have a couple of other points, so here goes....

Vinny, I think that she started this off asking if others found it offensive. I don't think I'd qualify it as whining. She has logged her feelings with the reviewer (she has right to do that, correct?) and wanted to get input from others. The feeling of some it seems that she should shut her mouth and keep her opinions to herself AND that she should start respecting others' freedom of speech.

I think what is "offensive" about the phrase in question is not the literal meaning, but the fact that it is one of many, many ways people use God's name in vain (non-reverantly).

skisidedown, so if we allow positive things to be said, we should allow negative things, as well? Or is there no positive and negative. I'm sure Groundspeak would welcome the attention they might get for a cache name that was disrespectful of Muhammad. That cache owner would probably be accused of being a hate monger, not simply expressing his free speech.

Dave / DudleyGrunt

At this point, we're not unlike those Muslims who were incensed by a tire tread that looked much like the script written name for Allah.

Yeah, it's just like us to go out and hold riots, kill religious leaders and blow up pizza parlors.

My initial reaction to the cache title was, "Well, that's a dumb name." I don't know; maybe I just need my morning cup of coffee. Actually, I'm not so much offended, but God might be, which means that the cache owner would have enough trouble coming his way that I don't even need to worry about it. If God isn't offended by it, then I don't need to be either. So, either way, it's none of my business.

Maybe I'm just getting used to it. Someone uses the name of the one I love like a curse word... it's probably a factor of God's prominence over-all, like being a political figure for everyone to sling mud at.

As for me, I'm only here for a few years and then I'm gone. If geocaching gets innundated with this sort of thing, then I'll probably just get a little annoyed, then go find something else to do, instead. It's not such a big deal, really.

Explain to me the different between G** D*** and just D*** because if you look it up online it comes back as the same thing.

Uhh, me? I don't see much difference. In the second example, God is understood like the "you" when someone says, "Come here," or "Have a nice day."

You asked a question, prior to answering someone sought clarification and then you chose to get on the defensive.

When you don't want others opinions, don't post a question in the forums.

Based on the information given here and assuming there was not a typo ("dadgum" instead of damm"), yes it could be offensive. Not because of the reasons mentioned, however because there are many children and families involved that would not approve of the language.

Prior to taking it to the reviewers, I would have contacted the owner. Then if not resolved, the reviewer.

I find it offensive. At the very least even if someone had no issue with it whatsoever, it should be considered in poor taste considering the issue some cachers would obviously have with the name.

I think you did the right thing. :blink:

So you're offended by the name of the cache, AND by people giving their opinion that you asked for?

You're not judging the owners of the cache in question?

It's seems a little hypocritical to me for someone to question the beliefs of others, but then to get upset when they get questioned themselves.

I much agree. :blink::(:blink::laughing::blink::D:(