Forming new organization

I finally have some interested cachers locally, even a little gung-ho (caching has a way of doing that to us, doesn't it?) I'm interested in things that you did that you had to correct when forming, and things that went very well. I'm also interested in Groundspeak policy problems.

Scenario: If we want to find an Outdoors Outfitter for a sponsor, and advertise for them and push their products in exchange for some financing? If we agree to teach class for them now and then on geocaching, etc. in exchange for financing? What is best in seeking sponsors? What will Groundspeak frown on?

Also: I'm thinking "steering committee" rather than officers. etc. Your thoughts.

Robespierre, NorthCentralOhio Geocachers

If you're going to have sponsors and financial backers, please don't promise them advertising space on your event cache pages. What you do away from Geocaching.com is your own business. What's published on Geocaching.com is Groundspeak's business, and all commercial content requires their approval. This is becoming a very common issue with event cache submissions. A simple "thank you to Joe's Sporting Goods for the door prizes" may be fine. A banner ad that links to Joe's website would not be.

It's exciting to see three recent event/CITO event posts from your group! I wish you every success with your organization. Thanks for your work to promote geocaching.

Also: I'm thinking "steering committee" rather than officers. etc. Your thoughts.

We organized the Florida Geocaching Association as a board - all power to the board. Board meets in a chat room (this is a statewide org, so meeting face to face isn't an option). It's pretty informal. Doc-Dean is unofficial/official prez - in the sense that he tends to try to keep meetings on topic. Having someone chair, and maybe be tie breaker in the unlikely event you actually vote and deadlock on anything is a good idea. Anyway - let the folks that will actually do something be the officers, steering committee, board, whatever.

A while back when we were looking at other orgs I noticed one where people nominated themselves to the board, based on what THEY were planning to get done. The existing board agreed to let them serve, again based on what they were offering to actually do. That's pretty much our model and it's worked so far. Getting that first group together may take some dithering about....Two years ago everybody wanted a Florida coin, so the 2 guys who volunteered to get that done just did it. They nominated themselves by their willingness to take it on. This year someone offered to get a t-shirt made and sold. So naturally we let them.

One of the things we decided to do as a group was promote CITO events during April. Each board member held one (or two) and we generally pushed the whole thing on the website. I believe Florida held 15 CITO events that month. There was some excellent geocaching news stores, both print and TV from those events. Bonus.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Robespierre, NorthCentralOhio Geocachers

Our local group (So. Jersey Geocaching) basically started with 7 "Coordinators" and we do not have dues or codified by-laws (just a few rules for membership). It has been very successful for us (we celebrate our 3rd anniversary Aug. 1st)

It has been our experience that in looser groups such as ours, people feel more ownership in the group and feel like they have a stake in it's success. There aren't a bunch of bylaws that dictate who can do what and work doesn't get shoved off on to someone because "it's their job." Therefore, all of our members feel free to jump in and do/organize things on the fly which has led to a lot of interesting things that never get listed at gc: a fossil hunt, 4x4 runs, kayakking adventures, bike runs, crazy contests, a catered picnic at a baseball game, etc. The coordinators' job is basically to maintain the free flow of communication (and provide occasional comic relief!)

The general consensus at SJG is that by-laws, officers and elections would stifle the free flow of creative energy that the group has.

As for income, we have very little and we like it that way! The more money you have, the more stringently you have to keep track of it and if you don't incorporate as a non-profit (which you cannot do without officers and bylaws) then someone has to take a tax hit if a bunch of interest is added to it. Also, AFAIK, you have to show where your revenue stream comes from to incorporate as a non-profit and the majority of it cannot be from the types of fundraisers that SJG does.

We do one chinese auction a year where we ask both businesses and members to donate items. We also do 50/50 pots. We have a cafepress store, but we've never seen one dime of profit from it. When we do our chinese auction, we set up a webpage that has the logos and weblinks of the businesses that contributed. Last year's page has received nearly 900 hits, so hopefully those businesses saw some increase in sales.

I am not sure that I would want any other type of sponsorship from a business. I think any kind of official yearly sponsorship could lead to that business trying to make demands of the group or threatening to cut off cash flow for some reason. I wouldn't want to have to depend on keeping a special relationship with a company.

Wow, going back through my post, I see that I have a lot of opinions on the subject! This is just my 2 cents worth - your mileage may vary.

~ Mother Hen

edit: grammar

Edited by Evil Chicken

I'm really appreciating your help, people. thanks

Yes, thank you to all who give ideas and support. I must say the one thing that stands out for me with beginning this organization is keeping it simple. I do not want anyone to feel as though having this in our caching lives has created work for people. I understand it does take time and effort, but ALL of it needs to be fun and heartfill. I love geocaching and I love people, the two most important issues while "putting" this together. I want anyone and everyone to feel welcome in our area and our events. Keeping it simple open that door for outsiders.

My next 2 cents are going towards the money topic of an organization. From what I have read, less money means less fuss. I know I personally don't want to be involved handling the "club's" money. I have a hard enough time with my own money!! LOL I really don't want anyone to feel obligated to do so either. Just basic things here, not a whole lot more. I want to guarantee SMILEYS IN NCOG!

All and all, I hope we all can enjoy this new challenge. I would give up the business aspect before giving up the joy I get from geocaching. I really see great things for our area and its future in the HUGE geocaching world and hope to be a part of it all. We live in a beautiful section of Ohio and only want any cacher to come join our fun, creativity, and our smiles while caching in North Central Ohio.

Thats all I wanted to say, thanks for open minds and open hearts. Please continue, every little bit helps.

Peace, Love, & Happy Caching......

Peacetrain :lol:

Thanks for the replies gang. From my take on the above, I'm reading:

1.) Steering Committee to get things rolling (non-official)

2.) Website

3.) Message board for communication

Being around clubs and organizations for the past 11 years, I too have come to understand that $$ can cause problems. Although it is a great way to have "guaranteed" support, it can be more hassles than it's worth. At some point in time you do have to come up with ways to support things you have going for you (IE: awards for club, Meet & Greet's, etc.). There are various methods out there to latch onto those.

I think the 50/50 and the "chinese auction" are great ideas for fundraisers. We do the same thing in a fishing club I belong to. They are NFP exempt, so you have to be VERY careful how you raise funds.

I noticed on another forum (I think geochums) that someone mentioned websites and message boards, either free or pay versions. Fortunately NCOG has space available, free of charge to the group, to use for a website and board. There is nothing wrong with free servers. The only problem is you run out of space and are limited as to what you can do in time. In designing 3 major websites now, and running full time 1, you come to realize that it's best to start with "too much" space in the beginning, and allow yourself to grow into it. It's beats the hassles of trying to transfer everything over, with possible downtime, once you outgrow your original server <_< Been there, and have learned from experience. LOL.

Just thought I would pop in my .02 cents. Not really familiar with the rules pertaining to clubs and geocaching, but thought I would share my thoughts on the internet aspect of it.

PS: Robespierre and Peacetrain.....I e'd you guys. I'll be there at 6 on Thursday! Have a new Geocoin to show you guys as well.

<snip>

In designing 3 major websites now, and running full time 1, you come to realize that it's best to start with "too much" space in the beginning, and allow yourself to grow into it. It's beats the hassles of trying to transfer everything over, with possible downtime, once you outgrow your original server <_< Been there, and have learned from experience. LOL.

I totally agree with that statement! If someone has some spare funds available, I'd suggest paying for space and foregoing free servers altogether.

I don't know exactly what your situation is, but getting donated space from a member is nice but can come with strings (or if you anger the person, they could shut the website down). I think something like that (someone walked away from the group and pulled down the site) happened to alacache (but I could be wrong).

SJG switched paid servers once - we went from one (with too much downtime) to one that has had a really good track record with little downtime and is extremely affordable. If you decide to pay for server space, do some research into price and downtime percentages (it will save you a lot of headaches in the future!)

Anyway, if I can offer any other additional help or advice or if you want to know why we did something a certain way, please feel free to send me a email. I'm more than happy to share what has worked for us.

Best of Luck with NCOG! :blink:

~ Mother Hen

Shawn is the MAN! He is going to set up our NCOGeo site. Finally some conclusions, and we have only just begun..... ^_^

It will be fun, I know I am excited.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, info, and feedback.

Peace, Love, & Happy Caching

As Always!

Peacetrain/Jenn ^_^

Edited by peacetrain