Honey I Shrunk the Cache!

On a more serious note than my moon discussion:

My friend in AZ put a cache in the desert using an Ammo Box I sent to him. He was sad to inform me that someone had decided not along to trade swag...but the actual cache itself!!! Any ideas on how to prevent this...I.E. security chains or such???

Chained to what out in the desert?? :anitongue:

I have seen a few chained ones but I never really understood why. Best reason I can think of is to prevent float away during high water. For security just seems silly.

There are those that will take an ammocan.

Chained to what out in the desert?? :anitongue:

I have seen a few chained ones but I never really understood why. Best reason I can think of is to prevent float away during high water. For security just seems silly.

There are those that will take an ammocan.

Yeah...silly until your ammo box is stolen and replaced with a 50 cent container buddy. Chain it to a cactus or ponderosa pine. Arizona Desert is not as bare as the Sahara.

Not too many deserts in Nebraska, so i'll let it slide you CornHusker

Edited by johnnyyork

Never heard of the container being traded. I would have thought that it would be stolen - period.

I have found ammo cans chained to Joshua trees in the desert. Seemed kind of weird until I read this thread.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bf-52ebb1caa385

your actually wrong about the Nebraska desert.....

And I am from Wyoming so call me a Cowboy :anitongue:

And my folks have lived for 15 years in the desert 75 miles North of Las Vegas. So am familar with Deserts.

Point is - chained up to big rocks - caches in South Dakota Black Hills were still taken and replaced with tupperware a few years back. Most desert plants are nowhere near that strong.

I think that's the first time I've heard of somebody trading the container

I waaay too lazy to paw through all his posts, but somewhere along the line, briansnat has mentioned trading out gladware for nice ammo cans. This being the technique that has allowed him to afford to place the 180+ ammo can hides he has. :anitongue:

I'm sorry for your friend's loss. Geocaching does offer opportunities to be annoyed and disappointed as well as have fun. Good thing the fun outweighs the annoyances.

Never heard of the container being traded. I would have thought that it would be stolen - period.

I have found ammo cans chained to Joshua trees in the desert. Seemed kind of weird until I read this thread.

It was stolen...someone just left the other container for some reason.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bf-52ebb1caa385

your actually wrong about the Nebraska desert.....

And I am from Wyoming so call me a Cowboy :anitongue:

And my folks have lived for 15 years in the desert 75 miles North of Las Vegas. So am familar with Deserts.

Point is - chained up to big rocks - caches in South Dakota Black Hills were still taken and replaced with tupperware a few years back. Most desert plants are nowhere near that strong.

I'm wrong that there are deserts in Nebraska or not??

Anyway...I was looking for a solution to the problem, but you've just given me a list of places you're from or lived in.....Cowboy

I think that's the first time I've heard of somebody trading the container

I waaay too lazy to paw through all his posts, but somewhere along the line, briansnat has mentioned trading out gladware for nice ammo cans. This being the technique that has allowed him to afford to place the 180+ ammo can hides he has. :anitongue:

I'm sorry for your friend's loss. Geocaching does offer opportunities to be annoyed and disappointed as well as have fun. Good thing the fun outweighs the annoyances.

Does that mean your friend takes other people's ammo cans without asking? That's stealing..or am I wrong?