About our stats...

Rhialto

GCstats.gif

Will this be available in other language with v2 coming?

Just curious, I'm working on a webpage and I'd like to insert it in my native language.

Also, why it is not possible for ANYONE to see someone's profile? Usually there is at least a checkbox to enable if we want our profil to be public or not. On my page I try to explain what Geocaching is and would like visitors to be able to see my profile without having to register. If I succeed to convince them to try Geocaching then they will register an account. I don't like to force them to register only to take a look at my profile.

Maybe all this will be fixed with v2, any dates? I just read a post today about the fact a v2 will be coming but I know nothing else.

Thank you.

Actually many users would perfer to hide thier account page from ALL visitors.

As long as a new account is free - seems trivial to do that to view information on other users.

Might be some new fancy options at some point. V2 of the site will alter much of the backend code to be more scaleable to growth. Some new features and integration but mostly a backend re-fit.

This post by The SuzyQs is one of the reasons why I hope that being forced to have stats publicly viewable go away in V2. The find count can be useful to the cache own owner but what is reason to have it display to everyone. There is no good reason. I would love to see stats graphic continue to survive. That way if someone wanted to share their stats with everyone they could do so voluntarily.

Sorry I don't understand your message.

is one of the reasons why I hope that being forced to have stats publicly viewable go away in V2.

You're saying we are forced to have them public!?!

That way if someone wanted to share their stats with everyone they could do so voluntarily.

That's what I ask. A checkbox so WE decide. I don't mind if everyone would default to "viewable by registered membres only" but I'd like to be able to select "viewable by everyone" also.

The find count can be useful to the cache own owner but what is reason to have it display to everyone. There is no good reason.

No good reason? I'll give you one. Someone posts a DNF to one of my caches. If they've got zero finds, and they just started caching yesterday, I'm going to take that DNF with a big grain of salt. However, I'm going to give it more weight if it comes from someone with triple-digit finds.

The find count can be useful to the cache own owner but what is reason to have it display to everyone. There is no good reason.

No good reason? I'll give you one. Someone posts a DNF to one of my caches. If they've got zero finds, and they just started caching yesterday, I'm going to take that DNF with a big grain of salt. However, I'm going to give it more weight if it comes from someone with triple-digit finds.

I think you must have misread my post because I agree with you. A finders find count is useful the cache owner. But why also display it to everyone who views the cache page? A simple if then statement can remove it from everyones view except for the cache owner.

I think you must have misread my post because I agree with you. A finders find count is useful the cache owner. But why also display it to everyone who views the cache page? A simple if then statement can remove it from everyones view except for the cache owner.

A find count or stat box is also just fun for a lot of people, especially friends and family who don't know (and don't care) about all the nuances of the game and what goes into (or doesn't) those numbers. And I like watching the numbers of folks I've met and, most especially, those I introduced to the game. Regardless of what the numbers represent to me, them, or anyone else, they are still just fun to watch roll for them.

Now if folks had the OPTION of enabling/disabling the display of their own stats and any other part of their profile to members and/or non-members, that'd be pretty darn cool with me too. BUt it should be up to the player which parts of their profile is visible to others.

Now if folks had the OPTION of enabling/disabling the display of their own stats and any other part of their profile to members and/or non-members, that'd be pretty darn cool with me too. BUt it should be up to the player which parts of their profile is visible to others.

That also sounds like a good option to me. I don't like that a geocacher is reduced to a single number and shown to anyone that views a cache page. It is a good tool for the cache owner so that he doesn't have to go clicking in to each finders profile. But it isn't needed for someone who is just browsing cache page. If someone who is just browsing wants to know what a geocachers find count is there is no reason why they can't look at that persons profile.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the find count is near useless.

Sure, some folks like watching other folks' numbers. That's fine ... if the other folks approve of it. Not so much if they don't.

Sure, some folks use the find count to determine if a DNF is worth investigating. It's been my experience that once you get past a certain number of finds, and that number is actually fairly low, the find count has nothing to do with veracity of a DNF. In fact, it's almost the inverse. More cachers with 4 digit find counts have claimed DNF's on supposedly missing caches of ours, yet the caches have been there all along, than "lesser" folks.

For determining the veracity of a DNF log a more important set of data may actually be the number of DNFs a person has posted and not the number of finds. Right now, it's hard, if not impossible, to look at a list of a user's DNF logs. If you could you could then go to that log and check to see if later logs confirmed a missing cache report.

True, the find count is the only tool we have to determine the worth of a cacher's veracity of a DNF report, but that is certainly no reason to argue for such an inadequate tool.

Add to this the new Friends function so you can keep track of your friends (if they allow it), the fact most finds counts are inaccurate anyway, too many folks use the number to be "classists," and the count is subject to the whims of cache owners, I really see no reason to keep it a mandatory part of one's participation with this site.

I disagree. When I view potential caches for my caching day, I look at the last few logs. If one is a DNF, I, like the cache owner, glance at their find count. This helps me in deciding whether to go or now.

For example, a cache I found the other day had two DNFs in a row. One by someone with 21 finds over 3 years and the other by a new person (first day out, less than 10 caches total). I added it to my list and even got permission from the cache owner to replace if I couldn't find it. When we got there, the cache was found easily.

Without the find counts, I might not have gone to the cache. Two DNFs in a row is not a good sign for a cache at first glance.

CoyoteRed has a good comment, though. The find number doesn't necessarily mean quality of finding, but it does mean a little, especially on 1 or 1.5 difficulty caches.

Edited to change username.

That also sounds like a good option to me. I don't like that a geocacher is reduced to a single number and shown to anyone that views a cache page. It is a good tool for the cache owner so that he doesn't have to go clicking in to each finders profile. But it isn't needed for someone who is just browsing cache page. If someone who is just browsing wants to know what a geocachers find count is there is no reason why they can't look at that persons profile.

Edited by yawetag

Sure, some folks use the find count to determine if a DNF is worth investigating. It's been my experience that once you get past a certain number of finds, and that number is actually fairly low, the find count has nothing to do with veracity of a DNF. In fact, it's almost the inverse. More cachers with 4 digit find counts have claimed DNF's on supposedly missing caches of ours, yet the caches have been there all along, than "lesser" folks.

For determining the veracity of a DNF log a more important set of data may actually be the number of DNFs a person has posted and not the number of finds. Right now, it's hard, if not impossible, to look at a list of a user's DNF logs. If you could you could then go to that log and check to see if later logs confirmed a missing cache report.

Someone said something very similar in the geocaching IRC chat channel and we discussed it. We came to the conclusion that some geocahers with a high number of finds are only spending a very short amount of time looking for a cache before moving on. They then use a DNF log to remind themselves that have already tried to find that cache. A cacher with higher find count is more likely to move on to other finds a lot quicker than someone with a lower find count. The annoying this is that most don't mention this in their log. It would helpful if they included a line like "spent 5 minutes looking before moving on" or something like that in their DNF log.

I too think it would be helpful for the cache owner (and cache owner only) to be able to see a cachers DNF count right on the cache page. It could be included next to the find count separated by a slash.

I disagree. When I view potential caches for my caching day, I look at the last few logs. If one is a DNF, I, like the cache owner, glance at their find count. This helps me in deciding whether to go or now.

For example, a cache I found the other day had two DNFs in a row. One by someone with 21 finds over 3 years and the other by a new person (first day out, less than 10 caches total). I added it to my list and even got permission from the cache owner to replace if I couldn't find it. When we got there, the cache was found easily.

Without the find counts, I might not have gone to the cache. Two DNFs in a row is not a good sign for a cache at first glance.

CoyoteRed has a good comment, though. The find number doesn't necessarily mean quality of finding, but it does mean a little, especially on 1 or 1.5 difficulty caches.

Edited to change username.

To know if someone has been geocaching for over 3 years you'd have to view their profile page. If you have to go to the persons profile to find more information then apparently you don't find the find count as useful as you think you do. I'm not advocating removing the found count from profiles. Just removing the find count from the cache page for those who are not owners of that cache. So that cachers browsing thru caches have to click thru to a cachers profile page if they want to know more about that cacher. Just like you did to find out how long someone has been caching.

I'm sure the Stat Box is going to remain as part of V2.

I like the suggested improvements to the Stat Box listed here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=160760&hl=

As for viewing a users profile, I'll have to wait and see, but I think that it should be available to anyone who is logged in. I don't like the idea of opting out of allowing someone to view your profile. If you are that paranoid then don't allow anyone to read your logs, that is 'do not log a cache online'.

But be sure to look out for that creepy error that occurred when the My Friends list thing was implemented. A users profile could be viewed by anyone, no need to be logged in, until everyone complained and it was put back to normal real fast.

I'm not actually sure just how I discovered that since to see your own Friends List you had to be logged in in the first place.

Let me explain my process when viewing that particular cache page, using my thoughts. Remember that this cache is also a multi and you have to gleam information from an item at the listed coords:

[Looking at GSAK] Hmm... two DNFs in a row. Let me check this out. [Opening cache page on GC] This first one has 21 finds; a new person in the area. Either they couldn't find it, or they're new and don't have the experience of multis or looking at obvious spots. Let me look at their profile. [Opening profile in a new tab] And this second cacher only has a few finds. He probably didn't know what to look for. In fact, his log didn't say anything about WP1. I'll bet he only looked around whatever's at WP1. [Reads profile of cacher #1] No info on their profile page. Let me look at their find history. [Clicks to geocaches] Ahh... they haven't ever completed a multi. It's possible they also didn't know what to do. We'll add this one to the list and see what's going on.

Now, if the find numbers weren't there, you're looking at even more clicks. I would have had to open cacher #2's profile and work my way to his find counts.

I like it the way it is. If anything, give the cacher an option to turn it off. I love the idea of making the ability for us to choose our privacy, especially in our profile. If it were my project, I'd make every aspect of your profile have the ability to make it with the following "Viewable by:" options: { Everyone | Anyone logged in | Anyone within 100 miles of me | Only friends | No one }

With this, the cacher would know that cache owners can see their find count on their respective cache listings ONLY.

To know if someone has been geocaching for over 3 years you'd have to view their profile page. If you have to go to the persons profile to find more information then apparently you don't find the find count as useful as you think you do. I'm not advocating removing the found count from profiles. Just removing the find count from the cache page for those who are not owners of that cache. So that cachers browsing thru caches have to click thru to a cachers profile page if they want to know more about that cacher. Just like you did to find out how long someone has been caching.

A cache log would also be more useful, in the future, if it stated something like:

(DNF) September 1, 2005 by Trainlove (75 found, 1480 found)

Where the first number is where I was that day and the second number is current. So at a glance one could perhaps see, oh that's why he had a DNF, he WAS relatively new way back then.

Because that information is just as valuable to someone deciding if they want to go after the cache, as it is to the cache owner.

Personally, when I see a DNF on a cache I'm targeting, I read the log. What is actually said, like whether they ran out of time or found the cache destroyed, is much more informative, IMHO.

BTW, my initial post was about a simple question. When someone (any visitor worlwide) click on the rectangle shown in the 1st post I'd like that person to be able to see my profile. I understand that by default the access should be restricted and NOT display everyone profile.

This mean that it won't be different as it is now, all profile will be private BUT an option will exist to enable public access. I don't mind if they add a second checkbox asking "Are you sure?".

My family and friends will then be able to look at pictures in my Gallery, read logs I wrote in cache I visited, the Trackables I had in hands, etc.