Useful gear

I recently stumbled across this product, and thought that this might be a handy thing to have while out and about geocaching. Especially if you're in one of the parts of the country that get sudden and unexpected storms during the summer.

Anyone else have any safety or otherwise handy items you think it would be a good idea to tote along on these little excursions?

I recently stumbled across this product, and thought that this might be a handy thing to have while out and about geocaching. Especially if you're in one of the parts of the country that get sudden and unexpected storms during the summer.

Anyone else have any safety or otherwise handy items you think it would be a good idea to tote along on these little excursions?

Neat. But wouldn't you hear it before it reached you?

If you were the first strike then it wouldn't help much. ;)

I like to take gloves, knife, lighter, and a flashlight. Pretty normal stuff i would think.

Thanks for the replies. Though I don't take it with me when I go out caching, if I find myself about to head into a wooded area, I look around and grab a stick at least 2 to 3 feet long. I then wave it in front of me as I walk through the woods to take care of the face-height webs all the spiders in this area seem to prefer to build. Then when I get close to the cache area, I can use it to poke and prod around to try to locate the cache if it's concealed under a layer of leaves or pine needles.

If you're ever caching in the Augusta area and see some idiot walking around waving a stick around, it's probably me :laughing:

Thanks for the replies. Though I don't take it with me when I go out caching, if I find myself about to head into a wooded area, I look around and grab a stick at least 2 to 3 feet long. I then wave it in front of me as I walk through the woods to take care of the face-height webs all the spiders in this area seem to prefer to build. Then when I get close to the cache area, I can use it to poke and prod around to try to locate the cache if it's concealed under a layer of leaves or pine needles.

If you're ever caching in the Augusta area and see some idiot walking around waving a stick around, it's probably me :)

i do that to!

I like getting sticks that are 4 foot long and that are split in the middle to form a Y, it seems to help remove more web than a straight stick! :o

I'm considering buying a collapsing hiking stick or something to do my poking around and web wacking

God I hate those spider webs! Totally grosses me out. But its my own fault if I don't grab a Web-Knocker when bushwhacking.

I just picked up a gadget I think will be very useful for me. I haven't had a chance to use it because my GPS is broken. :) Its a mirror with a telescoping handle for looking under things so I don't have to run my hands under creepy places where some icky critter might be lurking. My balance sucks so bending over and turning my head upside down is NOT a good idea. I'm hoping this will solve that problem. :) I got it at an automotive place and it was suggested to me by someone on the forums. Not being a car person, I didn't know these existed. I was going to make something but this is better with the telescoping handle and folding mirror. I'm really disappointed I'm not going to be able to test it out 'til I'm done reaming out Garmin and get a new unit. :o

When I cache with my backpack it has: firstaid kit, flashlight, duck tape, pens/pencils, ziplock bags, extra logs, water bottle, and of course the trade items, grab my walking(whacking) stick and off I go. I just started a small sideline venture doing permotional items so I'm going thru my catalogs to find the right sig item then that will be in my backpack as well.

I also enjoy the back country hikes and my kit changes from trip to trip, all the stuff listed above are great items to have. 1st thing I pack though is a firm understanding of what my abilities and limitations are; sounds geeky, but with that in mind every hike turns out great.