SEIGO Geocointest

Mr.Explorer3

ALso, I had a TB being held by a cacher for over 4 months. When I wrote them a nice note to ask if they were going to move the bug and even offereing to pay for postage to return it, I got a very rude email and a week or so later, they placed the bug in a remote cache. Luckily, the cache was found again shortly after and the bug rescued.

i also had this tb held for a very long time. i sent several messages, but never got a reply. then one day it was logged in a cache. never got any word from teh people who had it as to what was up. it was strange. happy to say he is still moving along tho :laughing:

I have also seen a cacher who criticizes micros at every cache, yet hides regular containers with nothing other than a logsheet and pencil. No swag at all. How odd is that?

The same cacher usually has caches that require very difficult hikes and often times the end result is a dnf for the person. The hikes may include several hundred metres of bushwhacking and even river crossings and rock climbs. (Although, many people do LOVE the hikes and the challenge of doing/finding one of these caches).

a couple days ago i found a cache that had obvisouly been found by non-geocachers and there were some very unsavory messages left on teh log sheet, the container was gone, and teh pencil, log sheet etc, were scattered all over the place. i think these unsavory people look for that cache and ruin it every time it is replaced.

it has since been moved a bit so hopefully they wont find it again

I've noticed several of my friends lately have made attempts at red or green jeep tb's while in the states and many have already gone missing. TB's that are not in the cache can be marked as missing by the cache owner too! I wish more cache owners would take the time to mark TB's and coins as missing!!

a couple days ago i found a cache that had obvisouly been found by non-geocachers and there were some very unsavory messages left on teh log sheet, the container was gone, and teh pencil, log sheet etc, were scattered all over the place. i think these unsavory people look for that cache and ruin it every time it is replaced.

it has since been moved a bit so hopefully they wont find it again

Contrast: We found a cache that had been presumed missing and was actually archived for well over a year... but actually it was still there, and the 'locals' would often find the cache and leave notes and other odd items in the cache (cigarettes, a condom, etc.) None of those items were there when I finally recovered the cache one day, but amazingly the original log book and some 'traditional' swag items were in there.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fb-df5357de1527

IMGP0177.JPG

And some logs from *after* the time it was archived:

IMGP0179.JPG

IMGP0182.JPG

We did part of a big series in Nova Scotia. Many were quite nice and quick grabs off of a very quiet old road. However there were a couple that weren't so fun.

Example 1 - Once cache was hidden by a big rock that was INFESTED with ants. Biting ants. Good thing i had my pants tucked into my socks (also tick country) as I had to literally brush off dozen of them. Some made it up to my arms and shoulders before i got them off!!

There was a cache that I was really hyped up about and had planned my whole caching day around it, as I am a big TB and Coin mover. WELL I was very dissapointed to find when I got there it had transformed from a ammo box to a baby food jar with just a log that was so soaked it was unreadable or loggable. :unsure:

We live near a lot of marshlands here and we have seen a few caches hidden near dykes or in tall grassy areas that are active nesting spots. We avoid these in spring and summer and hold off until late fall when all nesting birds are long gone. A friend of ours found a trampled nest and dead bird near one cache, very sad.

I had to stop taking our children to some hides around here, as they were never maintained. The boys would be all excited about the "treasure" but often times, we would find wet, mouldy and rusted junk and the boys would be upset. Disappointed kids sucks!

When that happens with my son, I take the opportunity to teach him about CITO.... and trading up instead of even.

This isn't a story of my travel bug, but I was the first person to take this travel bug from its owner in Tokyo, Japan in 2004. The owner wanted me to take On-chan to the US to attend event caches. At the time I believed that event caches were the safest place for a travel bug.

On-chan arrived in NY state and thanks to some amazing geocachers he travelled and attended both Geowoodstock 3 and Geowoodstock 4. In January of this year On-chan was taken to an event cache in South Carolina. Somehow On-chan and a number of other travel bugs never made it out of this event cache. I kept hoping against hope that he would make Geowoodstock 5, he had time...but when the mega-event came and went without sign of On-chan I started contacting people from the event. All I was told was no one took him or saw who took him and that he wasn't left over at the end of the event.

There is a part of me that hopes On-chan and his MIA companions from South Carolina Geocachers Association January Meet will turn up, but I definitely do NOT believe event caches are the safe places for travel bugs.

Couple caches back I hiked about a what seemed to be 2 miles to the cache and upon opening the ammo box, the hinges on the lid slipped right off from rust. I had no tools to get the cache back together so hiked back and fixed it and returned the cache needless to say it was my last of the day!

You know what really is horrible. When a contest is being held in the forums and you just *know* that you're gonna miss the proper posting because someone else is posting off topic. :)

:lol::lol::mad::o:(:P

haha, just kidding

Glad that you're not :unsure: .

My friend's cache happened to be placed in a spot along a local walking trail where, apparently, there were other forms of 'solicitation' going on. Then a veteran geocacher from our area is taking his *mom* around to show her a few caches in the area and they happen upon one "transaction" in progress.... talk about a bad first impression of geocaching!

Even though I missed post #68 for the coin I said there would be a future post about my worst caching experience and here it is. My husband and I met an area cacher and her family. We started caching with her and her kids regularly as a group, her husband would occasionally accompany us. Well, we went to do a cache as a group, my husband, me, her, her two kids and her husband, plus two friends of hers. The cache was titled Montana. It was a nice cache and had some creative parts leading up to it. Well, at the final part of the cache, I noticed something not quite right between my husband and the female cacher. They went to retrieve the cache from the swamp area that it was in. The way they interacted wasn't quite right. Well long story short, turns out the two of them decided to become a caching group all to themselves. I don't know when her divorce was final but mine was final May of this year. While I can only imagine some of the horrible things that have happened to people while caching, this is the worst I have had to deal with. My now ex husband and another local cacher started having an affair while caching.

Of course, looking back on it now, it's not so much of a bad thing. They actually did me a favor. I'm no longer married to a man who will cheat on me. And I no longer have a woman pretending to be my friend while she is sleeping with my husband.

Even though I missed post #68 for the coin I said there would be a future post about my worst caching experience and here it is. My husband and I met an area cacher and her family. We started caching with her and her kids regularly as a group, her husband would occasionally accompany us. Well, we went to do a cache as a group, my husband, me, her, her two kids and her husband, plus two friends of hers. The cache was titled Montana. It was a nice cache and had some creative parts leading up to it. Well, at the final part of the cache, I noticed something not quite right between my husband and the female cacher. They went to retrieve the cache from the swamp area that it was in. The way they interacted wasn't quite right. Well long story short, turns out the two of them decided to become a caching group all to themselves. I don't know when her divorce was final but mine was final May of this year. While I can only imagine some of the horrible things that have happened to people while caching, this is the worst I have had to deal with. My now ex husband and another local cacher started having an affair while caching.

Of course, looking back on it now, it's not so much of a bad thing. They actually did me a favor. I'm no longer married to a man who will cheat on me. And I no longer have a woman pretending to be my friend while she is sleeping with my husband.

Wow now thats a caching Soap Opera!!! I am glad to hear that you are better off!!!

A friend of ours found a baggie with a note from a hunter thanking him for the ammo cam when he went to check on a cache of his once :unsure:

Congrats on winning the SEIGO geocoin. Please e-mail your addy and I will get it mailed out.

Since there are so many hard luck stories, I will give another geocoin to the 86th post maker.

A cacher near me tried to get a FTF in the middle of the night (even tho advised against it) on one of my caches. THey said they felt as if they were about to get shot by a shot gun from a local neighbor (i told you not to go!!). I think he got kinda freaked out, and no one has searched at night again :unsure:

i once found a really neat hide in a really un-naet location. the cache was hidden in a tree with a crazy lever system, but it was in teh middle of a really trashed forest where obivous parties took place. ALso, the cache was right near a highway, and the easiest way to get to it was blocked by a fence... idk, the whole thing jsut felt wrong

it was this cache

Edited by ByrnedFish

i once found a really neat hide in a really un-naet location. the cache was hidden in a tree with a crazy lever system, but it was in teh middle of a really trashed forest where obivous parties took place. ALso, the cache was right near a highway, and the easiest way to get to it was blocked by a fence... idk, the whole thing jsut felt wrong

Congrats on winning the SEIGO geocoin. Please e-mail your addy and I will get it mailed out.

Thanks everyone and it does pay to stay until the end.

Thanks everyone and it does pay to stay until the end.

:unsure::lol::lol: i always watch these until after they appear over.

Thanks for the thoroughly depressing thread/contest. Some of these stories are AWEFUL!!

thanks,

BF