Is this type of cache allowed

Okay i found out we have a thing called Florence FreeNet(wiFi) in an area of town that has a small park, I was wondering if I could place a Unknown cache with 1st stage having a URL that you must use a laptop or some other device to connect to the intenet to goto the URL and get the coords to the final cache

Would this type of cache be allowed or is it against the guidelines?

Thanks

I dont see anything in the guidelines, These are the only ones and I dont think it'd be breaking any rules.

In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.

Caches that require a geocacher to visit another website will not be published if the finder must create an account with, or provide personal information to, the other website.

Edited by will2003

If I understand it right I think you could, but you could easily do it from you home if you could do it in that WIFI area.

Yea I guess you're right,. they could get the url and then go home. Of course that'd be alot of work. I wish i knew someone with a server on the network so i could have it be on that network only.

I think it's fine, but there are several pitfalls:

1. Expect angry logs from users who don't have a wifi device when they get to stage 1. Clearly mentioning on the cache page that stage 1 leads to a url will help alleviate that somewhat.

2. You'll have to make sure that the url people are visiting is up and running all the time.

Perhaps a more traditional multi would be the way to go. Or, be more creative using the wifi. Perhaps when you get to stage 1, you hop onwhatever URL, which leads you on some kind of guided tour of the park, giving clues or directions to the next stage. If you include interesting facts or historical items, you are more likely to have a good cache here.

On your first statement, what about people that don't have boats, they cant get to boat only caches, or when climbing equiptment is requires, or scuba.. (I get what you're trying to say though)

Well the Park isn't that big at all, its between two small buildings, There used to be a building there, but it was destroyed somehow. and I wont have a Problem with the Page Uptime, If one goes down, I could easily put another one out and update the cache since its only about 1.5 miles from me house

Edited by will2003
If I understand it right I think you could, but you could easily do it from you home if you could do it in that WIFI area.

Yea I guess you're right,. they could get the url and then go home. Of course that'd be alot of work. I wish i knew someone with a server on the network so i could have it be on that network only.

No, what I meant was that you would have to have this URL on the cache page. Once I look at the cache page at home, all I have to do is go to it there and I am off to the final location.

If you did it via the server method, then someone would have to login, which does violate the guidelines. Interesting idea though. Not sure if it could be feasible/possible.

If you did it via the server method, then someone would have to login, which does violate the guidelines. Interesting idea though. Not sure if it could be feasible/possible.

Ohh,

Well I'd have the url in the first stage of the multi, unless i HAVE to have it on the cache page..

Oh yeah, there you go. That works. You might find a friendly person who might give you a URL like www.mtn-man.org/willscache.html :unsure:

lol, well whichever way they try to find it. It'll be much easier for people to use the free wifi to find it,i may go to the location and try to map out a spot

Ohh,

Well I'd have the url in the first stage of the multi, unless i HAVE to have it on the cache page..

You don't have to have it on your cache page. You can have it at the first stage.

Your cache requires special equipment OR multiple trips and should be rated accordingly. Also it would be NICE but not required if you did mention WiFi (or other internet access) would be needed.

Oh yeah, there you go. That works. You might find a friendly person who might give you a URL like www.mtn-man.org/willscache.html :unsure:

I just tried that link-it's broken :lol:

404 not found

The requested resource could not be found.

What are you doing snooping around for anyway?

;)

No, what I meant was that you would have to have this URL on the cache page. Once I look at the cache page at home, all I have to do is go to it there and I am off to the final location.

I think what he is wanting to do is put the URL in the 1st stage which when you go to the url it will give you a waypoint to the final stage. Good idea but you will cut out a lot of people that would go to it. I am not carring a laptop or other url device in my car when I go caching. Just make sure the log states at the very first that the URL enabled device is needed because a lot of people do not read the cache page as I have seen in this fourm before they just see - N 33° 06.250 W 097° 11.383 bla bla bla bla bla.

Oh yeah, there you go. That works. You might find a friendly person who might give you a URL like www.mtn-man.org/willscache.html :laughing:

I just tried that link-it's broken :)

404 not found

The requested resource could not be found.

What are you doing snooping around for anyway?

:laughing:

I love custom error pages. I should change that up a bit for fun.

Heck, there might be something there now after all. But if you look...

Great that you worked it out will2003. Have fun with the cache.

I have this cache that mandates the use of wifi.

The biggest problem I have had are cachers that

don't understand how to associate with an AP using

WEP. But since the AP and web server

are located in my house, its pretty easy to just

walk out and give them a hand, as my office

window faces the hotspot waypoint.

BTW, this cache is located in Lincoln, CA, just

a few miles south of the site of GeoWoodStock VI.