Garmin eTrex H

I can't find any info on the chipset.

Given the lack of new features, I think this new H range is just the same devices, but slightly altered to meet RoHS requirements.

Both have RoHS equivalents, the only difference the H has a high sensitivity receiver and exactly the same rrp.

Edited by wizard1974uk

Some big assumptions here, but I imagine it will have the SiRF chipset that the GPSMap60CSx has got (rather than the old GPSMAP60CS). The SiRF chipset is manufactured by a 3rd party manufacturer who resell their chip to GPS receiver manufacturers (like Garmin and TomTom) who then put it into their kit. The main difference for us geocachers is that the SiRF chipset is much more sensitive to picking up the signals from the GPS satellites. It also has more complicated algorithms to work out where is receiving GPS satellite signal from ie direct, or reflections from buildings / gorge walls etc. All in all, this makes it more accurate and you have better signal under trees in full leaf!!

If it retails at the same price as the old eTrex, then I might be asking Father Christmas for something for delivery late December!! :(

I am guessing it will be a sirfIII chipset similar to those found in garmins upper range of GPSr. As for the spec it's identical other than the 5hr less in battery life for the 'h' model. It will be interesting to see what chipset will be used, as at it stands it's an inferior product.

It could be a SiRF Star III chipset, which would undoubtedly be a big improvement for geocaching purposes. But I seem to remember that Garmin were going to produce their own new chip, and if it outperformed the SiRF then they'd start using it.

As the unit has an H suffix rather than an X like the others, I'm guessing that it's the first with the new Garmin chip. All they're saying at the moment is that it's a high-sensitivity GPS (hence the "H"?).

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I am guessing it will be a sirfIII chipset similar to those found in garmins upper range of GPSr. As for the spec it's identical other than the 5hr less in battery life for the 'h' model. It will be interesting to see what chipset will be used, as at it stands it's an inferior product.

Could make sense.... - reviews of the different SiRF chipsets, I, II and III and the III chipset is known to consume more power.

It could be a SiRF Star III chipset, which would undoubtedly be a big improvement for geocaching purposes. But I seem to remember that Garmin were going to produce their own new chip, and if it outperformed the SiRF then they'd start using it.

As the unit has an H suffix rather than an X like the others, I'm guessing that it's the first with the new Garmin chip. All they're saying at the moment is that it's a high-sensitivity GPS (hence the "H"?).

I like that idea, very plausible, makes business sense to Garmin (no third party company to pay out to) and maybe the higher battery consumption is because the SiRFIII chipsets consumes more anyhow too.

Ooooo - we'll have to wait for the first proper reviews! :laughing:

I very much doubt it uses SiRF III as the Garmin website doesn't mention it, whereas it uses the SiRF III logo for the GPSmap60 C(S)x and 76.

We dusted off the cobwebs from the old eTrex at the weekend whilst setting a cache in the Forest of Dean to see if it got a signal, but as soon as we got anywhere near a tree it just didn't want to play.

I'll be interested to see the reviews even though I'm not in the market for a new GPSr, but you definitely don't want to be buying the old eTrex range right now. :unsure:

Does anyone have one of these new yellows yet?

And if so what are they like?

Graham dropped my yellow onto concrete while we were out caching last night :laughing: it did not break the screen but there is a crack on the inside, so now only the right hand side of the screen can be seen and there is nothing on the left handside of the screen, and I cannot put in coords into it, so basically I am GPS less :laughing:

I am undecided wether to put it through Garmin for a repair

Put it through the house insurance and get a new one (we are covered for items taken from the house and accidentally damaged.)

Have a new yellow sent in from the US from friends (£45.00 brand new, plus a bit of postage)

Try one of these new yellows.

We will see which we think is the fastest way to get a GPS back into my hand, I am having withdrawal symtoms already :)

I definitely need a GPS within the next 2 weeks :laughing:

Mandy :)

Had a chance to play with one of Garmin's new toys over the weekend, specifically the new Venture HC.

Very impressive. It does indeed have Garmin's new High Sensitivity chips not the SIRF thingies. I switched it on, indoors alongside my GPS60CSx. It acquired a 3D lock significantly quicker than the 60 although after two or three minutes the 60 was showing higher signal strengths on the acquired birds (better antenna?) and was also displaying a 'D' whereas the Venture HC wasn't. Having said that, I never checked to see if the WAAS function was actually switched on.

The colour display was clear and bright but smaller than the 60's. It also only had the Base Map loaded which isn't that good. This one only had, I think, about 24Mb of memory and wasn't expandable so you're not going to load a very big area of Topo map but it would probably be a big enough area for a days caching (for mere mortals like me, anyway). I believe there is a Venture HCx which has a micro SD card and may well be a better option.

During a days caching, it never lost lock and never appeared to be any less accurate than the 60 although we were never under really heavy tree cover.

I don't know how much they were retailing for but probably a chunk less than the 60CSx and it may well be a tool worth considering if you're upgrading from the bog standard Yellow and can't afford the 60.