Back country roads

I am in the processes of buying a smaller 4 x 4 with a roof rack for my kayaks.

Want to do some caching on the old logging roads in Maine.

I need room in the back for my dogs.

Would a Subaru Forrester be a good choice or something higher?

Suggestions????? :laughing:

Edited by adventurer17

I like Ford Escapes myself. Great for the city, but with 4x4 they do fine on gravel and dirt roads. It is excellent on snow. They feel roomy inside compared to similar sized SUV's, and sit up off the ground good, I'm 6 foot and don't have any trouble getting in and out of it.

I have put a Kayak on top no problem, two would go up there if you had rack mounts. As for dogs, the back seat can be folded down, and if you take out the bench (It snaps out easy) it will be completely flat back there.

Forrester would be a good choice. It has a good balance between utility and economy. You don't want to go too high. Try getting your kayak on the roof of a Ford Expedition. You need a ladder.

Toyota Rav4 would also be an excellent option.

I would have said the Honda CRV, but the new model isn't really designed for carrying stuff on the roof. They citified it and the roofline is curved now. But if you can get an older CRV (< 2007)it would also be a good choice.

I'm mulling over either the Jeep Patriot or the Wrangler Unlimited 4-door. I like the Patriot's gas mileage, but I wonder if it's really sturdy enough for dirt-road use. The Wrangler should be sturdy enough to take over a cliff :laughing: , but its gas mileage isn't as good, and it apparently still rides rough on the road.

Any Jeep mavens out there with opinions on the two models? I'm replacing a red Cherokee.

Edited by imajeep

I'm mulling over either the Jeep Patriot or the Wrangler Unlimited 4-door. I like the Patriot's gas mileage, but I wonder if it's really sturdy enough for dirt-road use. The Wrangler should be sturdy enough to take over a cliff :laughing: , but its gas mileage isn't as good, and it apparently still rides rough on the road.

Any Jeep mavens out there with opinions on the two models? I'm replacing a red Cherokee.

I think that the Patriot is a good replacement for a Cherokee.

I don't give this advice often, but go with the manual trans.
That's my preference, actually--but I'm curious. What makes you recommend the manual in this case?
It's my understanding that the CVT is junk.

I just bought a Patriot. Some of the reviews had negative remarks about the CVT, but I liked it fine. I also test drove a manual trans, but this time I went automatic. (I've had manual trans pickups for the last 15 years.) I did not get the full off road package because it looks like that cuts down on the gas milage. I was a little worried that it might not do well off road, but after a few trials off the pavement in deep sand, moderately deep puddles, and steep ups and downs, it has done just fine! Wheels never even slipped. the only thing from the off road package I really wish I had is the 17 inch wheels. The extra inch of clearance would have nice.

:(5433aedd-dd1d-45b0-9663-4e814417c7ca.jpg

I like my Xterra. For carrying a kayak, I believe the roof rack would work, plus there is the wetlocker that is at the front of the rack for carrying wet gear. As for reaching the top for loading, there are numerous spots that you can stand on to reach items on top.

No matter what vehicle you go with, I'd definitely go with 4wd. My wife would swear that her 2000 CRV, which is Front Wheel Drive, with on demand 4wd is the way to go, but as noted in an earlier post, the new models just wouldn't fit the intended use.

I'm a really big fan of SUVs because of the ease of getting in and out, along with the view of the road.

I personaly would recomend a newer ZR2 Blazer, not only does it have heavier axle, and suspension than a jeep, it is prety good on gas and it has a rack that is pretty easy to get at. also, it has good ground clearence. And it has enough room for what you need, and they don't tip easy like the jeeps have been known to do.

I love my full sized GJTB.

Not sure about the rack mounts, but it handles great on the off road part of your needs.

100ab10b-29d5-4c51-a747-99e5d3ce2200.jpg

The daughter (the moose) and the grandson are not included.

Rats! Just when I think I've got my mind made up, a pretty green Wrangler comes along and undecides me again! :(

How's the Wrangler on the road? The old two-door was a boneshaker on the interstate, and I'm liable to drive this one up and down I-5, not to mention I-10 over to Phoenix. But as a hiker, I gotta love it!

:D5433aedd-dd1d-45b0-9663-4e814417c7ca.jpg

I like LOVE my Xterra. For carrying a kayak, I believe the roof rack would work, plus there is the wetlocker that is at the front of the rack for carrying wet gear. As for reaching the top for loading, there are numerous spots that you can stand on to reach items on top.

No matter what vehicle you go with, I'd definitely go with 4wd. ..

I'm a really big fan of SUVs because of the ease of getting in and out, along with the view of the road.

;) DITTO!!! ;)

fff2cfcb-3f0c-495e-bebd-4f0a605552f6.jpg

You have to look at what you want to do with it.

If you will just take the Well Beaten Path to variouse access points and well maintaned gravel roads. The SUV's mentioned by BrianSnat are good ones. Economical and do the job.

If you have a more rugged use in mind. It's time to look at The Xterra, FJ Cruiser and Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee, 4 Runner. (Xterra and Wrangler are better new.. Cherokee and 4 Runner I'm not so sure).

Some of the newer 4x4's are better than the older editions and some are reversed and used gets you a more capable 4x4.

Kick the tires on all of them, and see what you like.