Travel Bug Etiquette

Bugler921

I usually just 'discover' them and leave them for other cachers to enjoy.

That's exactly what I do. I love seeing new travel bugs/coins coming through my caches. It facinates me with their history...so I discover them and place them back.

However, if a tb or a coin has been sitting in one of my caches for an unusually long time, I WILL move it on when I go geocaching. I'd rather see the things move instead of getting moldy for months on end.

I have a few caches out there and a few travel bugs have appeared in them. I haven't ever found or moved a travel bug yet because I'm relatively new to geocaching. Is it poor Geo-Etiquette to retrieve travel bugs from my own cache and move them along? Thanks.

Perfectly acceptable. Travel bugs are meant to travel and if you can assist it towards its goal, do it.

The Discover option? Not sure why you would want to make a special trip out to your cache just to get a stat count for a bug you didn't help move along.

Move them bugs!

When I was real new to this sport I grabbed as many of the TBs as i could, they were cooool. Now I discover more but if a really exceptional TB or Geocoin showed up in one of my caches I just might grab it. And move it on. Heck, you could even out it back in the cache when you were done fondling it.

Looking at the only bug sitting in the OP's caches, it's owned by a 3rd grader in a bug race asking to see many caches and to be moved along quickly.

Discovering the bug is not part of the mission.

;)

Hey Bugler921, go help out a fellow cacher and move the bug.

edit: spelling

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have a few caches out there and a few travel bugs have appeared in them. I haven't ever found or moved a travel bug yet because I'm relatively new to geocaching. Is it poor Geo-Etiquette to retrieve travel bugs from my own cache and move them along? Thanks.

Perfectly acceptable. Travel bugs are meant to travel and if you can assist it towards its goal, do it.

The Discover option? Not sure why you would want to make a special trip out to your cache just to get a stat count for a bug you didn't help move along.

Move them bugs!

We only have 4 caches to our name. One is at my place of employment. One is at our local library where we visit at least once a week, on the way to work (We read alot). One is in another city nearby (visit once a month or two.). The other will most likely be visited 4 times a year (Every 3 months) because it's one heck of a hike for us anyway. The first two I mentioned are normally the ones we discover bugs in.

wildchld97 mentioned being fascinated with the history of a Bug and I completely agree. That history comes from a bug that has been to many places and logged by many people.

I have always been impressed by what a great and closely connected community we have here, it adds so much to the enjoyment of geocaching. One part of that community is Travel Bugs. Travel Bugs allow us to connect with cachers we probably would have never met locally. I know for a fact that because of travel bugs I have talked to more people from other countries than I could have ever done on my own. Additionally these travelers have been known to go to amazing places. I love it when I get to read a log about some adventure or encounter by someone who picked up a bug.

When it comes to travel bugs I like to be able to say that I assisted it towards the goal or mission. On a rare occasion I even get the opportunity to do something no one else has been able accomplish. And yes, sometimes I simply get it back on track or move it one step closer. That’s my reward. Otherwise I don't want the stat count. Some people get a connection by Discovering it. …Okay.

Given a choice I would rather see a bug moved. I just haven’t seen much history come from a Discover log.

That’s my camp.

The question posed by the OP was, is it okay to take a bug from your own cache?

It most certainly is okay.

I also recommend taking pictures, telling stories, and having fun with every TB you come across.

I don't see a problem with it either. As I mentioned though we normally leave for someone else to enjoy and move along. Normally, a bug doesn't stay long in our box, usually a week at best. We, ourselves, only cache when we can. With conflicting schedules, (wife is a nurse, I work in a B&B as everything from the cleaner to the website builder/tech) we have about a day at best we can get out and actually cache. We have two bugs out at the moment and would love the goals to be met however, if they sit it's part of the chance you take.

As for stats, I wouldn't lose any sleep at all if they were gone. We don't care one way or the other, otherwise we'd probably have higher numbers than we do both in finding and placing. Typically, even when we just 'discover' a bug we take a photo for our scrapbook. I wish I had a camera every time someone opened one of our caches. The reactions are truly unique to each one but well worth it. Right now I'm kicking myself from missing our local judge finding the one where I work.

If you can assist with the goals - please go help it out. Whether it is in your cache or a cache you have visited previously - doesn't matter. Just log the addtional visits as notes. Say you were doing a good thing by helping a bug move along.

I never use the discover option - thought it was silly when added as a concession for items seen at an event. Twice as silly to say you saw it in a cache and left it.

I never use the discover option - thought it was silly when added as a concession for items seen at an event. Twice as silly to say you saw it in a cache and left it.

I am completely in that camp as well. I have NEVER seen the point in just "discovering" a TB or coin. I see people at events going around from table to table asking for the tracking numbers so they can discover for their stats. People bring coin books, just so others can discover...... why? Ooh, I get a stat bump!

I only log TBs I grab, because I'm helping them on their mission... other than that, what's the point? Most people put thought into their TBs, and are watching them. I like knowing that I helped, and always try to at least type a little story up for the owner to read.

But, that's just my 50th of a dollar, I guess

wildchld97 mentioned being fascinated with the history of a Bug and I completely agree. That history comes from a bug that has been to many places and logged by many people.

I have always been impressed by what a great and closely connected community we have here, it adds so much to the enjoyment of geocaching. One part of that community is Travel Bugs. Travel Bugs allow us to connect with cachers we probably would have never met locally. I know for a fact that because of travel bugs I have talked to more people from other countries than I could have ever done on my own. Additionally these travelers have been known to go to amazing places. I love it when I get to read a log about some adventure or encounter by someone who picked up a bug.

When it comes to travel bugs I like to be able to say that I assisted it towards the goal or mission. On a rare occasion I even get the opportunity to do something no one else has been able accomplish. And yes, sometimes I simply get it back on track or move it one step closer. That’s my reward. Otherwise I don't want the stat count. Some people get a connection by Discovering it. …Okay.

Given a choice I would rather see a bug moved. I just haven’t seen much history come from a Discover log.

That’s my camp.

The question posed by the OP was, is it okay to take a bug from your own cache?

It most certainly is okay.

I also recommend taking pictures, telling stories, and having fun with every TB you come across.

I only "discover" the ones that I know darn well aren't going to be moved along in a reasonable amount of time...and also if they are particularly interesting. I don't want to hang on to the poor thing for weeks on end because I'm working or have other committments...but I do want to know where it's going and what part of the world it's in. Besides, being a TB owner...I'd rather have a TB or coin "discovered" periodically than have it sit in a cache not knowing that it's actually there. Who knows if some child (or adult acting like a child) decided that it's something that they'd like to keep? A person who discovers it and writes a note in the log is at least resting my mind that my TB is still "alive".

I have a TB out there that is constantly roaming around in Ohio. The passport with it clearly states that it's goal is to travel to Jamaica to meet me in December. There have been plenty of people "moving" it...but taking it NORTH! I'd rather it sit for someone to take it to it's goal and have the person "discovering" it to just let me know it's still there.

Just my .02

I am completely in that camp as well. I have NEVER seen the point in just "discovering" a TB or coin. I see people at events going around from table to table asking for the tracking numbers so they can discover for their stats. People bring coin books, just so others can discover...... why? Ooh, I get a stat bump!

I only log TBs I grab, because I'm helping them on their mission... other than that, what's the point? Most people put thought into their TBs, and are watching them. I like knowing that I helped, and always try to at least type a little story up for the owner to read.

But, that's just my 50th of a dollar, I guess

Oh for heavens sakes...grow up. It's a game. Why should you care one way or the other what a person has on their stats. Is it cheating YOU in some way? NO. Now if we were playing for money brother...I'd be the first person to raise a fuss.

Move them bugs!

Back in March when I first joined Geocaching I was invited to an event. At the event, there was a TB discovery table. We were given a TB code sheet with all the codes for TBs at the table. There was also a pool of TBs to exchange from. I left a Diabetes TB and exchanged it for Island Hopper. I put some fantastic mileage on Island Hopper and even took it closer to its goal...but then the next cacher took it twice as far away so....

Anyway..I have a question for you Blue Deuce. I like your entries...they are full of wisdom that comes from experience.

Do you discover geocoins? I bought 2 copies each of 2 geocoins. I released one copy into a coin bank cache, but the other I kept. Now that I hear your opinion about discovering TBs I am curious about how you feel about coins that don't have a mission. Or what about TBs that don't go without their owner (like Tbs on dog collars or on car license plates)? I have one TB that stays with me. The others are free to go from cache to cache. But I'd still like to hear your opinion.

I HAVE AN ETIQUETTE QUESTION! PLEASE HELP!

Someone just posted the tracking code in a journal for a cache I was just watching. I thought tracking numbers weren't supposed to be posted in journal entries. I made a note on the travel bug and the geocoin this person did that to. I also see that the cacher has "dropped off" both the geocoin and the travel bug in another cache...but the old log where he found it is still posted...so anyone perusing the logs (like me) can take that tracking number, log it and release it in a cache without ever having found the travel bug.

Then the travel bug would be lost! Or at least not in the place it says it should be!

How do we deal with this problem?

Edited by Skylerdragon

Do you discover geocoins? I bought 2 copies each of 2 geocoins. I released one copy into a coin bank cache, but the other I kept. Now that I hear your opinion about discovering TBs I am curious about how you feel about coins that don't have a mission. Or what about TBs that don't go without their owner (like Tbs on dog collars or on car license plates)? I have one TB that stays with me. The others are free to go from cache to cache. But I'd still like to hear your opinion.

Thank you. Before geocoins became a mainstream product, travel bugs brought to an event were typically only logged by the person who took the bug with them. It wasn’t a common practice to log a TB just for a stat. To do so would require retrieving or grabbing the bug and then dropping it back into the event cache or having it grabbed away again by the current holder.

When Geocoins and the custom icons came on the scene there were a whole new set of needs and requirements. People did purchase coins specifically to share with many people and they had coins that they did not want to release into the wild. So now with retrieving or grabbing as the only option coins where being yanked around. Owners had to manage keeping the coin on track only to have it grabbed away again, people who did carry a coin away couldn’t trust that when they dropped a coin into a cache someone wouldn’t retrieve it to log it after seeing it at the event. These travelers were getting off track and required several repeat logs by the current holder.

So gc.com created the Discover option to address the issue. It works great too, I might add.

Now, do I Discover geocoins? No. I have no desire to log any traveler that I didn’t assist in moving nor am I interested in adding the icons to my profile. That’s just my choice and if other people wish to Discover them I say knock yourself out. If you are having fun logging them, go for it.

I would prefer people move travel bugs rather than Discovering them. The owner probably released it with the intent it be moved and Discovering it probably isn't following the goal. But I guess if you can't assist it, Discovering is better than nothing. [Editorial comment]Let's just make sure we aren't pretending we can't assist it. [/Editorial comment]

Coins without a mission? Well, there might be coins that don’t have a goal or a task to accomplish but at the very least the owner released it with the intent that it be logged and enjoyed by cachers. That’s its mission.

As for Travel bugs that are carried by their owners, I have a personal travel bug that I log through every cache I visit or re-visit, (no DNF logging). It currently has traveled 22,850 miles, as the cache flies. Sometimes it’s very tedious logging, but since I’ve done it this long I figure I might as well keep going.

Happy Caching.