Rendez-vous Québec 2008

Landbehrt

Dear geocachers,

Quebec City will be celebrating its 400th anniversary in 2008. For this occasion l'Amicale de la Grande Région de Québec (AGGRQ) has joined up with l'Association Géocaching Québec (AGQ) and have the pleasure to invite you to a monster get-together for geocachers on August 2nd 2008 in Quebec City, Canada

In the past, we have organized quite a number of Events in Quebec but for the 400th anniversary of Quebec City we are planning a huge International Event. Now you don't want to miss that, do you?

Groudspeak is challenging us to meet the goal of 650 "Will Attend" and if we do, it will be declared a "Mega Event" - a first in Canada. Now what about that!

While you wait for the publication of the Event on geocaching.com why not pre-register now on our brand new site.

Rendez-vous Québec 2008

Thanks for helping us reach our goal of 650 "Will Attend". We'll be waiting for you and Bienvenue à Québec.

Your organizing committee

I have logged a "Will Attend" for this event and my family is modifying our vacation plans for next year to ensure that we will be in Quebec on the day of the event. I purchased one of the event geocoins and they really are beautiful coins. We were going to be driving across Canada tp PEI but when the event was announced we changed our departure date so that we would be able to attend.

It would be great to see all the Canadian cachers throw their support behind this event, if you haven't yet logged a Will Attend please consider doing so.

If you haven't got one of these great Event coins then you really are missing out on a very nice geocoin.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone at this event!!!

Thanks wavector for your pre-registration and for your comments.

For your information, the "Rendez-vous Québec 2008" geocoins are not on sale yet. A beautiful concept was already put on paper and approved by the organizing committee. We are now at the draft level.

When the time comes, all the details will be announced on the "Rendez-vous Québec 2008" website.

It would be great to see all the Canadian cachers throw their support behind this event, if you haven't yet logged a Will Attend please consider doing so.

You bet we need your support to be able to reach the goal of 650 "Will attend".

Best regards,

Luc, for the organizing committee

For your information, the "Rendez-vous Québec 2008" geocoins are not on sale yet. A beautiful concept was already put on paper and approved by the organizing committee. We are now at the draft level.

I just looked at my geocoin and it is the geocoin celebrating the 400th anniversary of the founding of Quebec, I just got confused which isn't all that unusual actually. ^_^

It is a beautiful geocoin so I am happy I purchased it.

I will be buying the Rendez-vous geocoin when you get that one made!

I hope we get to meet you at the Rendez-vous Luc. I think it is going to be a great party and a great event.

Chris and I were the first from BC to log a 'will attend' last month! We cannot think of anywhere in the world we would rather be than in Quebec at this event in August 2008!

I have always wanted to visit Quebec City so it seems like an opportunity of a lifetime to be part of Canada's potentially first mega event and finally make a trek across Canada.

Second only to this event would be if we could go sailing while we are there... :rolleyes:

Chris and I were the first from BC to log a 'will attend' last month! We cannot think of anywhere in the world we would rather be than in Quebec at this event in August 2008!

I have always wanted to visit Quebec City so it seems like an opportunity of a lifetime to be part of Canada's potentially first mega event and finally make a trek across Canada.

Second only to this event would be if we could go sailing while we are there... :unsure:

I used to live in Montreal (on Rue Aylmer downtown by McGill) and I never did get to go to Quebec so I am really looking forward to revisiting La Belle Province. We are going to visit Montreal and Quebec and then carry on to PEI for a week long stay. we will visit the Rock and come back via the Trans-Labrador. I hope I will get to visit some of Gordon's caches!

I hope Canadians help to make it Canada's first Mega Event Cache, I hope Americans help as well!

To be honest, I haven't thought much about attending yet, other than the plan to try for a mega event, there isn't much detail or anything listed. If I'm going to drive 10 hours each way, I want to know a little more of what's planned or what is happening first. Though I've visited parts of Quebec, and even parts of Quebec City, and would be willing (and more than happy) to do so again, I only have so much vacation time available. More details of what is planned (even if some of it is tentative at this time) would likely help get more people interested and committed to attending.

Greywynd

I know you're busy putting this all together and all these questions may well be answered shortly...

One thing that would be really nice to see nearer the time would be a link to a bookmark list of bilingual caches at scenic or historical places that are near the event location or within the city.

It will be nice to see some information about the venue where this is being held and all the activites being offered for attendees.

Will there be camping available nearby or will folks have to book a room?

Just pre-reg to attend will be driving down from the big land! can do in a day but take two geo-cacheing all the way, there can back. I Hope.

Will be looking for a camp site so will be keeping an i out on the Forum for help.

The Labrador Wild Man is always in the woods trying to find the Caches!

See you there

Labrador Wild Man

Placed in wrong forum do not now how to move it for the big event in 2008

Edited by Labrador Wild Man

Will there be camping available nearby or will folks have to book a room?

I believe camping is in the plans. It seems to be usual for geocaching events involving a overnight stay in Quebec... those that take place in Summer at least :o

If you don't want to wait and want to find a campground yourself, you can check those websites ;

Camping Quebec

Bonjour Quebec

Off course, I'm sure people will have the choice of camping or staying at an hotel of their choice. There are lots of places to stay around Quebec City, as it is a popular place with tourists, but the hotels can be rather expensive (and might get filled up on that busy summer, so book early).

Dear geocachers,

Quebec City will be celebrating its 400th anniversary in 2008. For this occasion l'Amicale de la Grande Région de Québec (AGGRQ) has joined up with l'Association Géocaching Québec (AGQ) and have the pleasure to invite you to a monster get-together for geocachers on August 2nd 2008 in Quebec City, Canada

In the past, we have organized quite a number of Events in Quebec but for the 400th anniversary of Quebec City we are planning a huge International Event. Now you don't want to miss that, do you?

Groudspeak is challenging us to meet the goal of 650 "Will Attend" and if we do, it will be declared a "Mega Event" - a first in Canada. Now what about that!

While you wait for the publication of the Event on geocaching.com why not pre-register now on our brand new site.

Rendez-vous Québec 2008

Thanks for helping us reach our goal of 650 "Will Attend". We'll be waiting for you and Bienvenue à Québec.

Your organizing committee

We've already logged our intention to attend on your registration page...just a few questions. According to the guidelines:

the organizers must demonstrate a substantial likelihood that at least 500 people will attend the event.

It sounds like your event already qualifies as a Mega event since you already have 681 people listed as attending. Why were you told that you need 650 "Will Attend" logs? Just curious about the discrepency from the guidelines.

Has the actual location of the event in Quebec City been secured yet? It would be nice to know where abouts it is so we can book a closeby hotel.

Since this event works out nicely for attending on our way home from our planned trip out to the Maritimes next summer, we're hoping to book our accommodations for 3 or 4 nice in Quebec City or surrounding area within the next month or two already. Any recommendation on any hotels in the area (with reasonable rates). The hotel we stayed in last year in St. Foy during our honeymoon wants about 150% more for a room now and thats with government rates. :laughing:

Also, will the event be bilingual (english and french)? It would be nice if it was, since I see a lot of people from outside of Quebec will be coming, and unfortunately my french is very minimal.

...Looking forward to your event next summer.

RES2100 has a good point.

If they bump up the rates or are over booked who will want to go. Also if a particular hotel/motel was suggested it could be fun with lots of geocachers’ to meet. Maybe a few mini events cold be held there.

I'd like to hear more from the organizers on accommodations!!

Murfster

Even though I'm not one of the organizers, I may have a few answers

It sounds like your event already qualifies as a Mega event since you already have 681 people listed as attending. Why were you told that you need 650 "Will Attend" logs? Just curious about the discrepency from the guidelines.

I believe Groundspeak wants some king of safety margin before giving the mega-event status, as not every person who logs a "will attend" actually attends, especially when plans are being made so long in advance...

And it is possible that you need 500 geocachers (geocaching accounts) attending to get the status, not just 500 people... not sure about that.

Any recommendation on any hotels in the area (with reasonable rates). The hotel we stayed in last year in St. Foy during our honeymoon wants about 150% more for a room now and thats with government rates. ;)

The reasonable rates part might not be possible. This will be the 400th anniversary of Quebec City and all the hotels are convinced they will be completely booked. In those conditions, negotiating for any kind of group rebate is not usually possible. Well, maybe it's doable if you are a congress and ask you actually pay for the rooms 6 months in advance, but we are talking geocaching event here. AFAIK, all mega-events have been camping based. Yes, some people will prefer sleeping in hotels, but they should expect "very high season" rates. I don't believe any geocaching association is powerful enough to change that ;) .

Also, will the event be bilingual (english and french)? It would be nice if it was, since I see a lot of people from outside of Quebec will be coming, and unfortunately my french is very minimal.

The event web page is bilingual and translation in more languages is being done. Work is being done to ensure all the caches around the event are in French and English. It is safe to say that efforts will be made to accomodate non-French speakers. And there will be lots of bilingual geocachers walking around if you are stuck and need an interpreter ;)

This may be going out on a limb but we'd like to suggest that perhaps folks in Quebec consider offering to billet or offer hospitality in their home to further increase people's bilingual experience and save folks from very high hotel costs. I'm sure many attendees would be happy to pitch a tent or park their RV in someone's back yard or field in exchange for a hostess gift or gratuity. Also, reciprocal accommodation could be offered. We'd be happy to host a family here in BC at our home sometime in exchange for a couple of nights in someone's home in Quebec. Are there folks there with acreage that could offer space for camping for a few nights? Not all of these ideas may be workable, but thought we'd throw them out :P

Hi guys,

Currently, almost all the members of the organizing committee including myself are on vacations at the same time.

More news should be available in the first weeks of September after the next meeting of the organizing committee.

This may be going out on a limb but we'd like to suggest that perhaps folks in Quebec consider offering to billet or offer hospitality in their home to further increase people's bilingual experience and save folks from very high hotel costs.

Good idea Landsharkz! I will raise this point at the next meeting of the organizing committee.

Luc

Not sure if we will be able to make it or not due to other vacation plans, but I do love QC. Did a number of caches there this past summer.

We have camped twice now at the KOA on the south side of the river. Its very close to the bridge (its in Levi I think), very clean, and friendly, bilingual staff. It is somewhat cramped though (as are most KOAs).

I just booked 4 nights at the Hotel Lindbergh in St. Foy. We'll be arriving on Wednesday already so we can enjoy the sights of Quebec City for a couple days before the event and we'll be leaving on Sunday to head back home to Ontario again.

Looking forward to the event.

We've got our hotel booked in Ste Foy as well. I'm really looking forward to the event, and revisiting one of my favourite places in Canada.