Cachers in NEPA

superblackeagle9

Speaking of cachers in NEPA...is anyone able to get not the NEPAG site or forum? I know of a couple of people who are getting a server error message.

Also, welcome to the wonderful world of geocaching, superblackeagle9! Our first find ever was also a tank cache, just like yours. Happy caching, and drop us a line through our profile page if you ever want to chat about caching, ask a question, or whatever.

Greetings and welcome to geocaching !

By your cache finds, it appears you're probably in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area.

Many cachers in that part of NEPA. Give a shout and you'll get help (if needed) from these great folks.

We're in the lowest part (Monroe County).

Cache safe.

Whoo Hoo !!! :smile: NEPA seems to have new Geocachers sprouting up fast and furious.

A Hearty Howdy from Mountaintop.

May I also welcome you to the ranks and offer any assistance needed. Don't be shy, give a shout. There are plenty of cachers in NEPA and lots of great caches and events to share.

As Manny always says, "Enjoy, Enjoy the great outdoors of Pennsylvania".

We are not NEPA cachers per se, but our family has a 2nd home there (in Drums, just north of Hazleton) that we try to go to a few weekends a year, though we haven't since September (but are planning to go from June 27-July 1 and do a few caches, especially looking to do frenchfryandfrosty's "tornado damage" cache in Mountain Top.....the only other such cache we know of in the northeast is right near us here in NY.....also looking to vanquish a DNF on a "tank cache" (as Whistler puts it) in Hazleton (you seem to have a lot of those hides up in your parts).

From what I've seen, given the size of the area (relative to say the vast NYC metro area where we're from), there is a very active caching community and lots of caches (maybe it's the mountains and related beatiful vistas!).

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

We are not NEPA cachers per se, but our family has a 2nd home there (in Drums, just north of Hazleton) that we try to go to a few weekends a year, though we haven't since September (but are planning to go from June 27-July 1 and do a few caches, especially looking to do frenchfryandfrosty's "tornado damage" cache in Mountain Top.....the only other such cache we know of in the northeast is right near us here in NY.....also looking to vanquish a DNF on a "tank cache" (as Whistler puts it) in Hazleton (you seem to have a lot of those hides up in your parts).

From what I've seen, given the size of the area (relative to say the vast NYC metro area where we're from), there is a very active caching community and lots of caches (maybe it's the mountains and related beatiful vistas!).

Tanks caches...grrr! Ours in Mountain Top is easy compared to others.

Anyway, you guys are honoray NEPA residents...you might want to join NEPAG and chitchat on the forum there once in a while (if we can get back ON the forum there at some point, that is!). Someone ought to email MatCat. I'm having withdrawal symptoms....

Anyway, you guys are honoray NEPA residents...you might want to join NEPAG and chitchat on the forum there once in a while (if we can get back ON the forum there at some point, that is!). Someone ought to email MatCat. I'm having withdrawal symptoms....

MtnDave heard back from him and all's well. There's some sort of glitch he's hoping to conquer by tomorrow and we should be back up and running. Are you guys going to make it to the Glen next weekend?

MtnDave heard back from him and all's well. There's some sort of glitch he's hoping to conquer by tomorrow and we should be back up and running. Are you guys going to make it to the Glen next weekend?

Hooray for MatCat!

Next weekend we are going to the TriState event in Matamoras.

TriState event

Where are you going?

(Edited to add a question mark.)

Edited by whistler & co.

Hooray for MatCat!

Next weekend we are going to the TriState event in Matamoras.

TriState event

Where are you going?

(Edited to add a question mark.)

:unsure: No, no, NEXT weekend. This coming weekend we'll be down in Baltimore. Cher has classes and I have some design work to catch up on. I'm reasonably certain I'll find time for a cache or two though :D Next weekend at Ricketts Glen for the campout is what I meant. :D

Oh, pardon my semantics! :unsure::D

THIS weekend we'll be in Matamoras.

NEXT weekend I will be very grudgingly sitting amongst a gaggle of women pretending to be interested in baby clothes, teething rings, and other newborn acoutrements. I assume we will be serve baked chicken seasoned with Lawry's, canned green beans, a roll with exactly one pat of butter, a dollop of reconstituted potato flakes, and quite possibly an iceberg lettuce side salad to alleviate some of the boredom. We may even have cake. Yippee. Why cache or camp when you can do that instead????

Oh, pardon my semantics! :D:unsure:

THIS weekend we'll be in Matamoras.

NEXT weekend I will be very grudgingly sitting amongst a gaggle of women pretending to be interested in baby clothes, teething rings, and other newborn acoutrements. I assume we will be serve baked chicken seasoned with Lawry's, canned green beans, a roll with exactly one pat of butter, a dollop of reconstituted potato flakes, and quite possibly an iceberg lettuce side salad to alleviate some of the boredom. We may even have cake. Yippee. Why cache or camp when you can do that instead????

:D ROFL!!! Wow, sure wish I was going with you instead of tiptoeing through waterfalls and wildflowers, paddling on the lake and sharing caching stories around a fire. Well maybe someday I'll have your luck. :lol::D:o

There's always room for one more. I'll even let you park in our driveway, since the blasted thing is in the church hall next door (which is why I couldn't reasonably make excuses to not go). I can fax you the baby registry details if you want!

OR you can just go and have a good time at the Rickett's Glen. Let me know what you'd prefer :unsure: ! (As if I need to ask!)

Maybe up until last year (and we're flattered B) ), but now that we have jobs on almost opposite schedules (with hers involving working part of holiday weekends) combined with our oldest being in kindergarten, it has been much harder to get up there than in the recent past. As recently as 2 years ago we were there 9 weekends out of a possible 52, this year it is probably only going to be this and maybe sometime in August and maybe again between Christmas and New Year's or something (July 4 being on a Wednesday doesn't help either B) ). But I'll check out the NEPAG site, I love forums and I know we'll be around there at least once or twice a year.

We'll probably go by your "tank cache" when we do FF+F's "tornado cache" (the one we DNF'd was the one in Hazleton; though we did easily find the other two caches in that great park......ironically, we go to the Wal-Mart on Airport Road all the time when we're up there and though we've been going up there for 10 years now, we only learned of the park through geocaching). Ironically, the only other "tornado cache" I know of in the northeast US (since this ain't Kansas, Dorothy :angry:) is just 10 miles from our home here in the suburbs of the Big Apple (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f48e5213-f73e-4d12-9b30-537eb64f0656).

I have to admit I'm quite impressed how active the caching community is up there; while looking up caches with Google maps I noticed that the small town of Rock Glen has SIX of them (probably just going to do the two "easy" ones since the kids will be in tow)!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

So, next weekend I will make an appearence at Ricketts although it may be just a day trip. (I'd rather be there overnite and may still do so).

B) No, no, NEXT weekend. This coming weekend we'll be down in Baltimore. Cher has classes and I have some design work to catch up on. I'm reasonably certain I'll find time for a cache or two though B) Next weekend at Ricketts Glen for the campout is what I meant. :angry:

The niece is getting married Friday night at Boordy Winery outside Towson. We are extending our trip to a long weekend so we can make our rounds to some favorite Baltimore, Inner Harbor & Fells Point haunts. Funny and weird, such a small world we live in. (but us NEPA folks are that way). Wonder if there's a "O's" game, my brother has a box.

Edited by mtndave

Drums here....unfortunatly I haven't been able to go caching for a bit due to GPS crashing...awaiting replacement.

Actually our visit last September has a funny thing that relates to your 7-10 Split Cache. We had found it on a previous visit and noticed that just before coming up there were a couple of DNF's and thoughts of it being muggled. We happened to go the nearby bowling alley while visiting the area and for curiousity went to the cache and noticed where it was "misplaced" and fixed it. Must have been funny to see a "fixed note" from someone over 100 miles away! OK Whistler, maybe that makes us "honorary" :angry:

Actually our visit last September has a funny thing that relates to your 7-10 Split Cache. We had found it on a previous visit and noticed that just before coming up there were a couple of DNF's and thoughts of it being muggled. We happened to go the nearby bowling alley while visiting the area and for curiousity went to the cache and noticed where it was "misplaced" and fixed it. Must have been funny to see a "fixed note" from someone over 100 miles away! OK Whistler, maybe that makes us "honorary" :blink:

Yes, I'd say so! When you're in the area, try the cache that's there now. It's cute!

I get to come in here and see that someone is going to be tip-toeing through waterfalls? While you're at Ricketts, don't forget to head over to SGL 13 for a quick waterfall fix.. you can see Sullivan and Bear Run and still be back for toasted marshmallows!

F&H, well, actually Hound just alerted me to these forums until the others get up and going... such withdrawal.

HEY! I found my first benchmark today! I can't get addicted to another thing.... :blink:

I get to come in here and see that someone is going to be tip-toeing through waterfalls? While you're at Ricketts, don't forget to head over to SGL 13 for a quick waterfall fix.. you can see Sullivan and Bear Run and still be back for toasted marshmallows!

F&H, well, actually Hound just alerted me to these forums until the others get up and going... such withdrawal.

HEY! I found my first benchmark today! I can't get addicted to another thing.... :laughing:

Thanks, if I get a chance I will check those out. Maybe Sunday even. I haven't found many benchmarks yet, but I'm surprised at how challenging they can be. I wish I'd been logging the ones we found all along. Fox even knows where some of the old marble post style ones are at. We'll have to go do those when we run out of caches. Did I really just mention that possibility? :blink::blink:

Actually our visit last September has a funny thing that relates to your 7-10 Split Cache. We had found it on a previous visit and noticed that just before coming up there were a couple of DNF's and thoughts of it being muggled. We happened to go the nearby bowling alley while visiting the area and for curiousity went to the cache and noticed where it was "misplaced" and fixed it. Must have been funny to see a "fixed note" from someone over 100 miles away! OK Whistler, maybe that makes us "honorary" :angry:

Yes, I'd say so! When you're in the area, try the cache that's there now. It's cute!

Planning to go bowling while there so will definitely check it out, thanks.