GPSr

reptlcal

If you are willing to spend a bit more (around $180), you can get a very good unit like the Garmin Venture CX.

With color display, expandable map memory, autorouting, USB connection, it's a GPS you won't outgrow quickly.

In your price range there are a few choices, most with some compromises. The basic yellow eTrex (around $90) will work fine for geocaching but doesn't have maps. The Garmin Geko 201 (around $110) is also a fine, basic geocaching unit but doesn't have mapping.

Stepping up to mapping units, there is the Garmin eTrex Legend which has very limited map memory and is a bit long in the tooth as GPS units go.

Then there is the Magellan eXplorist 210 which is a good unit but with a paltry 22 megs of map memory. Also there is Magellan's rep for customer service which ranges from lousy to abysmal.

One very good choice would be the Lowrance iFinder H20. You can find the basic unit for around $140 and like the Venture CX it's a unit you can grow into by later adding mapping and memory. Unlike the Venture CX it doesn't have a color display or autorouting (by that I mean turn by turn driving directions), but is otherwise an

excellent unit.

A couple come to mind. The Garmin Legend is a fine rugged unit and still sells for around $115 but has a B&W screen and a serial computer interface. Some of the Lowrance units sell at or below that range but I am personally not real fond of them - others say they are great units and a good value - not me.

My best recommendation is to go up just a bit and look at getting the Garmin Venture CX. For about $180 - you get a color screen, longer battery life, the option to get routable maps, upgradable memory, faster usb interface (you will need to buy the cable), small form factor and still rugged.

If you are just starting out I can't say enough about the Magellan Explorist 210. It is the best unit for the money. Sure it does not have expandable memory but it has the largest internal memory of any unit in that price range. If maps are not overly important to you then it is the unit to go for. You can store a TON of waypoints on that thing! I had a Venture Cx and did not care for it. But that could just be me. Do not buy an Explorist 300 if you want to download waypoints. The 300, 200 and 100 have no computer connectivity without a hack. THAT is the most important feature IMO, much more important than maps. I would never have made it to GW5 last week if I had to enter all those waypoints manually! I would still be entering them! Again, I say go with the 210. For the money it can't be beat.

I am new - but have a Mag 210 and I like it. Got it online for around $100.00. Also have a friend who has one and likes it.

Good luck - no matter which you choose - i am sure you will enjoy geocaching. Take along family and friends for an even better experience!

When looking for a GPSr, you should really consider the ones that connect with USB instead of the Serial port. Some newer computers don't have a Serial port, so you have to get an adapter cable, and many times those don't work, or are difficult to configure.

My vote also goes to the Garmin Venture Cx, or check eBay for the discontinued, but still excellent Garmin Legend C or Vista C. Those have 24MB of memory, can accept the maps later if you decide to buy them, and can auto-route you with City Navigator maps installed.

For what it's worth, I've been caching over a year (11 states, two countries) and I've never had extra memory, a color screen, or ever used any maps other than what comes pre-loaded into the Garmin. (I have two units: an Etrex Vista and the GPSMap 60). Those are nice features, but definitely not necessary for caching.

There's no harm in getting the bare-bones model and caching with it for a while until you see if you're really going to like it. My father and brother-in-law both thought they were going to really get into geocaching so they bought GPSrs with all the bells and whistles. Neither of them cached much after about the second week. Seems a shame that those units are just collecting dust somewhere...

I do agree that it's best to get one that hooks up via USB. My Vista has a serial connection and it's kind of a pain. I have heard there are serial-to-USB adapter cables available though...

Edited by EEeee!

I must agree with the others that suggest checking on how the connection is made. I'm a Lowrance user that spent the $35 for the cable to hook up to my Ifinder H2O, and basically gave up on making it work right. I skirt around it by removing the card from my unit, and plugging it directly into my laptop. This works fine, but I have an expensive cable collecting dust.

I must agree with the others that suggest checking on how the connection is made. I'm a Lowrance user that spent the $35 for the cable to hook up to my Ifinder H2O, and basically gave up on making it work right. I skirt around it by removing the card from my unit, and plugging it directly into my laptop. This works fine, but I have an expensive cable collecting dust.

As far as I know the only way to hook up the H20 is through a card reader. A bit of a pain but it works.

If you can spend a bit more ($200), I think the Magellan 210 combo package they have at Bass Pro Shops is a good deal (that's what I bought a couple of weeks ago). It comes with the 210, USB cable, car (cigarette lighter) cable, case, and their TOPO 3D software.

I bought it on the recommendation of a friend who uses his for hiking around and taking photos. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the other units (e.g., no color), but it seems adequate, and a really good deal for what you get.