Hitchhikers

O-Mega

Ok, I searched and could not find a thread to add this to, so if someone knows of one please combine.

I recently picked up a TB at GW5 (TBKWV0) and was confused when I logged him in. The picture of the hitchhiker did not match, it seems someone placed another hitchhiker in place of the original.

Though it may be something like the original simply disappeared. and some good semaritan cacher placed a new hichhiker on the TB it got me to thinking.

So, has anyone had their hitchhiker replaced? And if so, did you ever find out why?

O-Mega

To my knowledge I haven't had one of mine replaced; but I have replaced one that was just a tag! Unfortunately there were no photos of the original so I did my best. I also moved a TB once whos goal was to go from the East Coast to the West, have the object attached swapped and come back...I picked it up on the coming back leg of its journey.. it made it home btw ;)

I found this TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=14597) and the cache it had been in had been through a controlled burn. The poor thing was crispy, melted, and stinky. I emailed the TB's owners to notify them of it's demise, and they ended up sending me a new hitchiker for it. Of course, this was done with the owner's permission, I just don't feel it's right to make changes to something that doesn't belong to me. :D

WolfWalker

I found this TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=14597) and the cache it had been in had been through a controlled burn. The poor thing was crispy, melted, and stinky. I emailed the TB's owners to notify them of it's demise, and they ended up sending me a new hitchiker for it. Of course, this was done with the owner's permission, I just don't feel it's right to make changes to something that doesn't belong to me. :D

WolfWalker

Sweet! Love to see them bugs back in action. Thanks.

I came across a TB once that was nothing but a tag(TBJXA3 Kim's Krazy Kar). I tried to find what was in the discription but with no picture I just ended up buying another car that looked kinda Krazy. I then emailed the owner a picture and got the go ahead to fix it. :D

I emailed the TB's owners to notify them of it's demise, and they ended up sending me a new hitchiker for it.

Hmmm. Our two issues with bugs the owners expected us to fix it on our dime. It wasnt the money that mattered, just that someone would expect that and not offer. :D

I emailed the TB's owners to notify them of it's demise, and they ended up sending me a new hitchiker for it.

Hmmm. Our two issues with bugs the owners expected us to fix it on our dime. It wasnt the money that mattered, just that someone would expect that and not offer. :D

I am more than happy to help people re-release a lost TB. I've done it several times before (references available upon request). I've got a workshop full of weather proof, kid proof, trinkets just itching to be tied to a copy tag or even a printed homemade one.

I do prefer of course to be helping sweet little old elderly couples on Social Security :D , but for the right TB I can be coaxed in to rummaging through my kids' toy box. (Especially for the motorcycle ones.)

And even though I can't assist it to its goal all the way, I always have a special tie to that bug I helped get back on the road. To me, that's worth a couple bucks every now and then.