How far is too far? Remote geocaching . . .

Just curious,

Have you ever gone to remote places in search of a geocache? Perhaps a geocache that would require more than a few days to travel to and locate?

I do some wilderness camping and one place I go to is over 30 miles away from the nearest road, requires a boat or canoe, crossing two lakes, and tackling some white water . . . So I'm curious if such places would hold interest in geocache hunts?

Peter

Ready for an evening of paddling . . .

398DCP_4189sm.jpg

for some cachers who have time, this would be great and challenging. for someone like me who works and has a family and can't let me out of their site to do a cache that is a two mile hike... iwould never be able to do it. i know of one cache that is close to what you are wanting to do except there are no lakes to cross but it is about a 20 mile drive in a 4X4 and then about a 3 hour hike. it is almost a year old and only oneperson has logged a find. of course with silent cachers out there, there could have been more visitors without online logs.

if i had the time though, i would love to find the one you want to place. maybe once all the kids turn 18 and move out. of course, i know a lot of cachers in my area who would jump as the chance for a cache as you describe so go for it!!

"Everywhere is walking distance -- if you have the time."

- Steven Wright

Well chaps, I'm off to hike to England... glub, glug, gurgle. <_<

Be patient. If AL Gore is right you'll be able to walk all the way to Buckinham Palace very soon when all that salty water boils away.

I've done some good ATV rides to caches and will be doing some canoe trips this summer (hopefully). But it seems that any caches with a little distance doesn't seem to get any hits around here. But that doesn't stop me from placing them, and I hope it doesn't discourage others. These will be caches that will be worthy and when cachers do find them, they'll be truly remembered. One well placed cache is more enjoyable than 10 drive by's.

Edited by simplyred

I think an idea like that would be great fun for those that are experienced and prepared.

I was told that i wasn't heeding 'the geocacher creed" when i considered putting a cache in a playground. Why? because it may endanger people who may possibly have the police called on them. Many cool caches like the type you propose could endanger cachers. Heck a small walk through the woods might too!

I dont think any cache is too far. As long as people are prepared and experienced enough then they may like it.

I agree with your last statement but not the one about placing a cache endangering cachers. There is a big difference between putting a cache in a play ground and putting one on Mt Everest.

A playground is a bad idea IMO but that has probably been debated to death here. Placing a cache on Mt. Everest does not put cachers in danger. Going to get that cache if you are not qualified or prepared puts yourself in danger. It's called personal responsabillity.

I have a cache that is in the woods that I designed to be a night cache. If someone goes out there and gets lost or hurt is it my fault? If someone gets hit by a car in the Wal-mart parking lot while they are bent down looking for a LPC whos fault is it?

This post is not ment to be argumentative but is ment to get an opinion from others about weather I, as a cache hider, am putting people in danger just by hiding a cache.

I agree with your last statement but not the one about placing a cache endangering cachers. There is a big difference between putting a cache in a play ground and putting one on Mt Everest.

A playground is a bad idea IMO but that has probably been debated to death here. Placing a cache on Mt. Everest does not put cachers in danger. Going to get that cache if you are not qualified or prepared puts yourself in danger. It's called personal responsabillity.

I have a cache that is in the woods that I designed to be a night cache. If someone goes out there and gets lost or hurt is it my fault? If someone gets hit by a car in the Wal-mart parking lot while they are bent down looking for a LPC whos fault is it?

This post is not ment to be argumentative but is ment to get an opinion from others about weather I, as a cache hider, am putting people in danger just by hiding a cache.

I should think that any injury we get from this sport is based on our own actions as the hunter. Print out a cache description page, and it shows the disclaimer right on the top. The hunter assumes all responsibilities for finding the cache.

"Everywhere is walking distance -- if you have the time."

- Steven Wright

Well chaps, I'm off to hike to England... glub, glug, gurgle. :D

Be patient. If AL Gore is right you'll be able to walk all the way to Buckinham Palace very soon when all that salty water boils away.

The planet has a fever. :D

And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL! ;)

I should think that any injury we get from this sport is based on our own actions as the hunter. Print out a cache description page, and it shows the disclaimer right on the top. The hunter assumes all responsibilities for finding the cache.

(GCHELP) Mt. Everest Park n' Grab (1/1)