Adopting an abandoned cache

TheMystic

The closest cache to my house was logged 12/06 as being totally soaked and all items worthless. I have been watching the cache and nothing has changed. Before I go to it I was thinking about bringing a new container/log. I sent an email to the owner but it bounced back (no longer a valid address). Would it be appropriate for me to replace the container/log? And possibly adopt it (put some swag in it and watch it)?

Edited by TheMystic

We found a cache that has been needing maintenance for one year. We cannot adopt it because the owner is active on the site. (They dont appear to be caching anymore though- Last find 5/06) We have emailed the owner asking to adopt it and they have not responded.

I am looking forward to hearing answers to your question. :P I hope you can adopt it.

Informal cache adoption happens all the time. Helping out a cache by replacing a wet or filled log book, or fixing or replacing a broken container is common practice, especially if Needs Maintenance logs are going unheeded. Formal adoptions from an absentee owner require intervention from a reviewer.

I'd say go ahead with your plans to fix up the cache, and contact your local reviewer and ask about adoption.

The closest cache to my house was logged 12/06 as being totally soaked and all items worthless. I have been watching the cache and nothing has changed. Before I go to it I was thinking about bringing a new container/log. I sent an email to the owner but it bounced back (no longer a valid address). Would it be appropriate for me to replace the container/log? And possibly adopt it (put some swag in it and watch it)?

You can replace the container and log. People are finding the cache it appers to be viable even if wet. When you dry out the oringal log be sure to put it back in the container.

Looking at the 5 caches you have found, all of the owners are currently active and have logged in within a week.

:P ???

I think they haven't found the cache in question yet, they're just looking at the logs for one they plan to visit.

If it's the one I looked at, it looks like a good candidate for a new owner. I would email the local reviewer and tell them that you have tried to contact the owner without sucess, and you would like to adopt it.

The reviewer will try to contact the original owner, and ask them about the cache. They will probably also post a note to the cache page and wait a bit to see if the owner contact them.

The process will take some time, but you will probably be allowed to adopt it--eventually--- Unless the reviewer does manage to contact the owner (who hasn't logged a cache in over a year) and they decide they want to get back into caching (Which I doubt, but hey, if they do, at least you'll have another great cache to go after, right?).

If you fix the cache up first, this will disqualify it for involuntary adoption...

That may be the policy in your reviewer's "jurisdiction", but there are no written guidelines about adoptions, and your suggestion is not the practice in my area. On the contrary, finding the cache and replacing it with with a suitable container shows the reviewer your intent of maintaining the cache and supports your "claim" to adopt it over other possible claims.

Before any of this occurs, ask yourself if this cache should remain active and is "worthy" of adoption. Generally, if its an oldie but goodie cache with history to it, go ahead and attempt the adoption. However, from what I have read in other threads, most reviewers would rather see the cache archived, but will allow you to place a new cache there if you want. The oldie but goodie element; uniqueness; and other parameters you can articulate is what will sway the reviewer to go with the adoption.

Edited by Chuy!

If you fix the cache up first, this will disqualify it for involuntary adoption...

That may be the policy in your reviewer's "jurisdiction", but there are no written guidelines about adoptions, and your suggestion is not the practice in my area. On the contrary, finding the cache and replacing it with with a suitable container shows the reviewer your intent of maintaining the cache and supports your "claim" to adopt it over other possible claims. ...

Ask yourself. "If there is nothing wrong with the cache, then why does it need a new owner?"

You should not have a good answer to that question. The cache owner has the first claim on the cache. If the cache is viable there is no reason to supplant that claim. Especially if the cache is in good shape.

I'm in agreement with this sites conservative take on adopting out caches.

That may be the policy in your reviewer's "jurisdiction", but there are no written guidelines about adoptions, and your suggestion is not the practice in my area. On the contrary, finding the cache and replacing it with with a suitable container shows the reviewer your intent of maintaining the cache and supports your "claim" to adopt it over other possible claims. ...

Ask yourself. "If there is nothing wrong with the cache, then why does it need a new owner?"

You should not have a good answer to that question. The cache owner has the first claim on the cache. If the cache is viable there is no reason to supplant that claim. Especially if the cache is in good shape.

I don't know about adoptions, but that seems to how some caches avoid getting tagged for archiving around here. If visitors fix it along the way, or someone makes it a point to look after X cache, then that cache continues on even though the placer hasn't logged on in many months or years. If that cache starts getting unchecked DNFs, or gets damage complaints and stays that way, eventually someone notices and posts a needs maintance / needs archived log.

I left a message to the reveiwer on the cache page. I did it with a needs archived note so it would go direct to the reviewer but made it clear there was someone that wanted to adopt it. I hope this helps. Keep an eye out for the reviewer response.

I don't know why none of those people posted any Needs Maintenance Logs.

I found a destroyed cache several months ago. Recent logs showed that it was going downhill fast. By the time I got to it, all that was left was the remainder of a cache. That's what happens when cheap, fragile containers are used for caches.

It was in a rather isolated area having several other nice caches, including a clever one that I really enjoyed. I hated to see this hide disappear, so I grabbed a suitable container from my van, added swag, and replaced the cache.

I posted a note to the cache owner who never responded. I noticed he hasn't been active in a long time.

I have kept a close watch on this cache since. The cache has had 13 visitors since, including one who placed a Geocaching.com sticker on the outside. Since I have not yet placed a cache of my own, I have sort of unofficially adopted this one.

Edited by michigansnorkeler

I agree that in some cases, it is better to have a poorly-maintained cache Archived.

However, sometimes it is nice to have the "history" of that specific cache in that area. I have replaced containers on a couple of caches. By using a good "Lock 'n Lock" I was assured it would last a while. One of the two caches is still going strong and later was Adopted "officially." :rolleyes:

The other one was Archived this spring, a year and a half after I replaced the container, because of concern for nesting birds on the little island.