CAMCONTIOP

I’m launching CAMCONTIOP (CAMpaign to keep CONgrats Threads In One Place). It’s about as satisfying an acronym as CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale), less likely to give you diverticulitis, and more tasty too. IMHO.

Surely all these names would be easier to find in one section so why not keep it to the right place rather than cluttering up the boards? This is all, perhaps, because no-one has noticed my caching efforts.

I mean look: there are people who scan the births, deaths and marriages columns in the newspapers and they have their place. Imagine what it would be like if the other news was interspersed with this, er, vital information:

Tesco today announced that it was investigating the fact that some of their fresh meat was being marketed beyond its sell by date. This particular buffet was provided by Fortnum and Mason and Mr Murgatroyd said that his daughter had always wanted to be married in a church. The family pass on their best wishes.

“The Cutty Sark fire is suspected arson,” a police spokesman said today. When asked for details he said that Mr. Thompson (95) was cremated in a quiet ceremony in Greenwich on Monday.

Climate change is once again in the news. Environmentalists say that the Argus Butterfly is apparently emerging sooner than usual but, born yesterday in Plymouth hospital, Darren will be Christened at St Joseph’s on Friday. Lots of love from Nan, Gramps and Big Sis.

See what I mean?

( :laughing::anicute::wub: , by the way!!)

Putting (By the way) at the end of a post, just to try to say it was all a joke, should be banned too...

Ah but then there are those who wouldn't get it and some folk'd get all upset unnecessarily and take it the wrong way and wish me harm. You forgot to say “congratulations on your 552”, (by the way). :D

Hang on, didn't we have this thread a few weeks ago? I think we divided into 2 camps then with some people saying that congrats threads should be banned, and others saying they should be left. A few people in sub-camps pointed out that banning them would be impossible as people would still start them outside of the pinned topic / sub-forum, and another sub group of the 'anti' camp pointed out that there's a useful greasemonkey script to ignore threads that you don't want cluttering up your forum view.

I don't quite understand the analogy of the births, deaths and marriages section of a paper getting cluttered up with news. Newspapers generally have a structure with sections, as do forums. This UK sub-forum is part of the structure of the Groundspeak forums. I don't see how it could be easily compartmentalised even further, although each thread is effectively a sub-section, that's why it has a heading and an optional sub heading.

Isn't this at a point where someone comes along and bumps all the congrat threads to the top :D

Hmm. :D

And speaking of "top", perhaps that's where I should've put the smilies in the OP just to telegraph the fact that it was a jolly jape.

CONGRATS to those who spotted that already.

Hang on, didn't we have this thread a few weeks ago? I think we divided into 2 camps then with some people saying that congrats threads should be banned, and others saying they should be left. A few people in sub-camps pointed out that banning them would be impossible as people would still start them outside of the pinned topic / sub-forum, and another sub group of the 'anti' camp pointed out that there's a useful greasemonkey script to ignore threads that you don't want cluttering up your forum view.

Yup, and a few weeks before that, and a few months before that and.......... :D

Ah but it's a forum, not merely a library so people should be allowed to post again and again (ad nauseum) on the same thing and clutter up the boards, which brings us back to the OP :D

Perhaps locking this now might be a good idea as I never intended to cause a row and I feel it coming in the air tonight, as Phil Collins said. :D

Ah but it's a forum, not merely a library so people should be allowed to post again and again (ad nauseum) on the same thing and clutter up the boards, which brings us back to the OP :D

Which is why I posted but didn't lock the thread :D:D

Perhaps locking this now might be a good idea as I never intended to cause a row and I feel it coming in the air tonight, as Phil Collins said. :D

Nah! Let it run a bit longer :D

This thread has become pointless and boring...too many of these recently :D

I agree

Tell you what, why don't we play a game instead?

I've got this container, a baked bean tin, I think. If I go and hide it somewhere, I give you the co-ordinates for where. Then we'll see who can find it first.

Does that sound like a good game, or what?

Or has someone done it before?

This thread has become pointless and boring...too many of these recently :D

I agree

I've got this container, a baked bean tin, I think. If I go and hide it somewhere, I give you the co-ordinates for where. Then we'll see who can find it first.

Its new to me, can you do it out doors :D

This thread has become pointless and boring...too many of these recently ;)

I agree

Its new to me, can you do it out doors :P

Sounds pointless and boring to me, I'd much rather post on such an exciting forum thread.

:)B)B) By the way, oops I can't do that any more can I?

Congrats to Wizzie for his 500th bag of ;)

Thanks for that I'm flattered. :P

So why do some find it so difficult not to read threads that have no interest to them? Just IGNORE the threads. Unless you are one of those people you read about that spend hours upon hours in front of a computer because they feel they need to read every single thread/post on a forum just incase they've missed something because they've got nothing else to do with their lives.

Unless you are one of those people you read about that spend hours upon hours in front of a computer because they feel they need to read every single thread/post on a forum just incase they've missed something because they've got nothing else to do with their lives.

I’ve never even heard of such people. You must read a lot of posts. You can ignore them if you like. ;)

It's simple really, not rocket science, read the title, if it interests you click, if not move on!

I do agree that congrats threads etc do clutter the board but imagine if everything was the way you wanted? No outside views or opinions, just your thoughts and the way you want it to be, sounds very lonely, boring and depressing……. Not really stimulating is it?

BTW the three reviewers are the cache police not you.

I'd like to start CAPS, which stands for -no, it's not SHOUTING related- the Campaign for the Abolition of the Popcorn Smiley, please. :(

May I suggest a change of name, Cachers Revolt Against Popcorn.

Would anyone else like to join the CRAP campaign? :anicute: