Cache Type Icon - Mystery VS Puzzle

mda_taz

It would be great if you could add the option to indicate if the cache hide is a Puzzle or a Mystery container.

There are several cachers that skip puzzle caches, so they ignore all '?' type caches. Several of the '?' type cahces are simply an unusual container. Thanks for your consideration.

Edited by mda_taz

This is a very good point to bring up.

I know of some "?" caches that are plain unusual containers, or (as the new guidelines state) "?" caches that are normal containers with a mere question to answer at the target location.

Then on the flipside, you will have the "?" caches that require a sometimes tedious puzzle on the cache listing to obtain the coordinates for the cache. Those are the types that a lot of people tend to skip over.

Some method to clarify would be nice.

That is a very good idea. I learned of an ALR in these Forums. The owner changed it to a '?' type cache when all you have to do is follow a specified format when you post your log. If I were traveling through that area, since I don't get the Unknown caches in my PQs, I would miss that cache. :laughing:

Same with the ones that only ask a question at the coordinates to figure out the where the container is.

Thanks for bringing this up. :laughing:

I've never heard of a Mystery/Puzzle cache type being used for a non-standard container. There is (or at least used to be) an "Other" size for that purpose.

While it can be argued mystery and puzzle caches should be separated, it does not seem that that cache type should be used for a non-standard container.

Edited by brdad

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

Mystery or puzzle caches

The “catch-all” of cache types, this form of cache can involve complicated puzzles you will first need to solve to determine the coordinates. The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. Due to the increasing creativity of geocaching this becomes the staging ground for new and unique challenges.

It is already setup that way. the problem is 'nobody has a right to tell me what type my cache is' and the reviewers have enough headaches already. We have multi caches with the ? icon as well as magnetic tape 'containers'.

If someone ignores caches based simply on the ? icon then it is a loss for them and the cache owner as they will not log the cache. Trying to impose a ruling on cachers as to what icon they use will only cause more hate.

Heck in Arizona we have seen ? icons on caches simply because you had to find your route and it cannot be determined by a topo map which does not show the property lines until you arrive on site and have to figure out the way into an area.

Dont get me wrong, I like puzzles and I have fun with the challenges, but the OTHER option for container type is already in place and if cache owners simply used this then you would not have this issue. Yet keep in mind that OTHER has been in place for years and is ignored as a feature by most cachers.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

Mystery or puzzle caches

The “catch-all” of cache types, this form of cache can involve complicated puzzles you will first need to solve to determine the coordinates. The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. Due to the increasing creativity of geocaching this becomes the staging ground for new and unique challenges.

It is already setup that way. the problem is 'nobody has a right to tell me what type my cache is' and the reviewers have enough headaches already. We have multi caches with the ? icon as well as magnetic tape 'containers'.

If someone ignores caches based simply on the ? icon then it is a loss for them and the cache owner as they will not log the cache. Trying to impose a ruling on cachers as to what icon they use will only cause more hate.

Heck in Arizona we have seen ? icons on caches simply because you had to find your route and it cannot be determined by a topo map which does not show the property lines until you arrive on site and have to figure out the way into an area.

Dont get me wrong, I like puzzles and I have fun with the challenges, but the OTHER option for container type is already in place and if cache owners simply used this then you would not have this issue. Yet keep in mind that OTHER has been in place for years and is ignored as a feature by most cachers.

I don't think anyone is advocating 'forcing' anyone to use the puzzle or other option, but... you are talking apples and oranges here. The puzzle option would be a "Cache Type" while the other option is for a "cache size". I think it would be nice to have a puzzle option, it would make it easier to sort through them.

O-Mega

<snip>

That is too bad about the way the '?' is used over there. Especially for people who are traveling, I think it is normal to filter out the "Unknown" caches from your PQs.

I'm one of those people who gets an instant headache when I look at the creative, befuddling Puzzle caches created by the people over here . . . so I have them in a separate database in GSAK. If someone lets me know there is one I can figure out, well, then, I'm all over it. :laughing: Otherwise, to avoid the headache, I don't look at the Puzzle cache pages . . . :laughing:

While were at it, why don't we split up the multi icon into two, one for those that are really multi's and another one for those that are really puzzles. I sometimes ignore multi's due to the extra, implied, work associated with finding 3 or 4 additional waypoints. But have recently seen that there are literally scores of them that are simple, go to point x, add y to the coord and go there for the box. Give me a break, make it a puzzle, and make it difficulty 1.5.

My sarcastic intention here is to try to make multi's truly multi's, but there are so many people who want to have a multi icon in their hidden caches that they just sell out and don't do the hard work of making a real multi cache.