Its starting

Ugh snakes. I've never seen so many as I've seen in the last 2 weeks. I guess they come out in springtime but I've never noticed them. After I see one it generally ruins my hike because that's all I think about.

Ticks too are already out in abundant quantities. I pulled 4 off myself today after caching and about a dozen off of the dog. I guess I should actually use the bug spray that's in my pack. :blink:

Must be a big "worry" day, as, on a kayaking forum to which I belong, some forum regulars are kvetching about a claimed "epidemic" of viral shingles and adult chicken pox in a few large cities in the South and worrying about their chances of "catching" shingles or chicken pox from their friends and associates. sigh...

Y'know, whenever I see these "let's worry" threads, I kinda smile. First, it is my observation and experience that the more we think about something, the more we tend to create it; just the nature of human reality. Next, for the matter at hand, even CDC admits that there are no effective treatments for such viral diseases other than old-fashioned basic care. So, that leads to the basic observation that we largely cannot "control" such a viral infection if it does appear, and rather, we must let it run its course. As an earlier poster wrote, why worry about somethign beyond your control? That is kinda like worrying about when the next really BIG meteorite is gonna strke the earth and wipe out everything bigger than a cockroach, and who will water my potted African Violets after that happens? Almost lastly, much as I say to those who love to worry and fret on the forums about venemous snakes, ticks and poison ivy -- and I do kind almost hate to sound like a mystic here -- I personally prefer to trust to God and the angels (and pi-mesons, quarks and bosons and all those other little helpers) that I will be offered in this life only those "diseases" and experiences which I was meant to have, and only those which are in my highest and best interest.

Lastly, as the wags say, what does not kill us makes us stronger, and what does kill us makes our Spirit and Soul stronger, so why worry?

BTW, if you are tempted to think that I may be being flippant, let me remind you that I live in a forested wilderness area in Western Maryland which is infested with rattlesnakes, copperheads and many varieties of ticks, including deer ticks, in which rabies is endemic (we regularly bump into rabid groundhogs and raccoons here), and in which Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, babesiosis, Lyme disease, plague (as in bubonic plague) and a nasty strain of hantavirus are endemic in our rodents and in people; a study (reported in the local newspapers at the time) conducted by scientists at US AAMRID at Fort Detrick around year 2001 showed that most adults liiving in these rural parts bear signs of permanent renal damage from past hantavirus infections. Does any of that worry me? No. Life is fun and is meant to be loved and to be lived. :blink::huh:

Thanks for the heads up. Got swarmed by a flock of those nasty bloodsuckers tonight. I figure the West Nile might do a good job devouring the Lyme disease I picked up last week playing with ticks. With the way tornadoes are blowing through, they'll make it all moot anyway. [:blink:]

Thanks for the heads up. Got swarmed by a flock of those nasty bloodsuckers tonight. I figure the West Nile might do a good job devouring the Lyme disease I picked up last week playing with ticks. With the way tornadoes are blowing through, they'll make it all moot anyway. [ :blink: ]

It has been my motto for 4 years now:

geocaching: Wayyy more chances to contract West Nile, or Lyme Disease than the average person.-Snoogans (sometime in 2003)

It rang so true that I made it into a smashed coin and I'm in talks to make it a trackable geocoin ta boot.

"Most people (about 4 out of 5) who are infected with West Nile virus will not develop any type of illness (an asymptomatic infection), however you cannot know ahead of time if you'll get sick or not when infected."

For all we know, most of us already had/have it. It's not a new thing, just now they know more about it. We been hearing about it for a couple of years now, and nothing has really changed. It's just about impossible for people to not get bitten by mosquitos, and there hasn't been any drastic outbreak happenning.

Too many people just wasting our tax dollars, if they fed the homeless, they would save much more lives then they think there gonna save with this nonsense.

"Most people (about 4 out of 5) who are infected with West Nile virus will not develop any type of illness (an asymptomatic infection), however you cannot know ahead of time if you'll get sick or not when infected."

For all we know, most of us already had/have it. It's not a new thing, just now they know more about it. We been hearing about it for a couple of years now, and nothing has really changed. It's just about impossible for people to not get bitten by mosquitos, and there hasn't been any drastic outbreak happenning.

Too many people just wasting our tax dollars, if they fed the homeless, they would save much more lives then they think there gonna save with this nonsense.

Exactly! Thanks for pointing this out! Much the same is true for hantavirus up in my area! Reminds me of the silly "public health" hullaballo about "the dangers of radon gas" and the entire industry that has grown up around "radion remediation"! Sigh!

Exactly! Thanks for pointing this out! Much the same is true for hantavirus up in my area! Reminds me of the silly "public health" hullaballo about "the dangers of radon gas" and the entire industry that has grown up around "radion remediation"! Sigh!

are you going to tell me radon is not real? I just paid for a remediation in my new house. Please tell me I did not just buy some snake oil. :o

Well to each his own. I for one have had experence with it. I personaly have known someone who died from it. Sure you may not contract it but isnt it like playing Russian roulette gambling on not hitting that single round in a chamber? Thats great its up to you, keep on spinning the cylinder.

Me I will get a can of cutters and use it.

Good luck.

are you going to tell me radon is not real? I just paid for a remediation in my new house. Please tell me I did not just buy some snake oil. :o

Radon is a real threat. Moreso in some areas versus others. It's relatively easy and inexpensive to do self-testing to avoid unneccesarily paying for remediation.

However, a much bigger threat are the people capitalizing off "tricking" people into believing they have radon, natural gas leaks or carbon monoxide problems. The units that test much of this stuff can be easily tweaked to give false positives.

Edited by egami

Well to each his own. I for one have had experence with it. I personaly have known someone who died from it. Sure you may not contract it but isnt it like playing Russian roulette gambling on not hitting that single round in a chamber? Thats great its up to you, keep on spinning the cylinder.

Good luck.

It's not about luck. Death is inevitable. Get used to the idea and it'll take a load off of your mind.

Good luck.

It's not about luck. Death is inevitable. Get used to the idea and it'll take a load off of your mind.

So very well said! Thank you for saying that so eloquently! :o:) That was one of the points of my earlier post, that letting go of the fear of death will allow one to enjoy life so much more! Of course, we DO have free will, and as we can see here, some folks employ free will to stay mired in their dark fears and dark visions.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team