Light information

:( Does anyone know of a strong flashing strobe light that is battery operated, small enough to be placed in a water proof container? :laughing:

I picked up some flashing lights at walmart in the party section that are about the size of a nano-cache that are magnetic. There were four in a package for a couple of dollars and they come with batteries.

O-Mega

What you want is an LED flashing light. The cheapest are the red ones with 3 to 5 LEDs in a clear red reflective case made for bicycle riders. They have a clip for attaching to your clothing. I have found them in two sizes depending if they use 2 AAA or 2 AA batteries. I usually find them at the 99Cents Only store for 99 cents.

There is one that has 5 LEDs and runs on 2 AAA. It says that it runs for 100 hours. It has 6 different flash modes, flashing the 5 LEDs in different sequences. I have a friend who programed and installed a chip in one and it now flashes words that I specified, in Morse code.

For longer run time, use multiple D cells in parallel and series, and use only one LED bulb.

What you want is an LED flashing light. The cheapest are the red ones with 3 to 5 LEDs in a clear red reflective case made for bicycle riders. They have a clip for attaching to your clothing. I have found them in two sizes depending if they use 2 AAA or 2 AA batteries. I usually find them at the 99Cents Only store for 99 cents.

There is one that has 5 LEDs and runs on 2 AAA. It says that it runs for 100 hours. It has 6 different flash modes, flashing the 5 LEDs in different sequences. I have a friend who programed and installed a chip in one and it now flashes words that I specified, in Morse code.

For longer run time, use multiple D cells in parallel and series, and use only one LED bulb.

Do you know how he did that? I want somthing that I can place in a air tight container and let it float just below the serface of the lake so it can be seen about dusk. I will use a total of 4 of these in this cache.

Thanks and let me know about that chip.

Rick

I am hoping that with it below the serface of the water the light will not be able to be seen untill you are on top of it. No boats normaly get on this small string of lakes/man made river. So hopefully no they wont.

That right there is cause enough for concern in my book. If you could say boats NEVER get on this string of lakes/man made river, I'd say go for it, but since there is a chance of a random night fisherman coming along and seeing a box with a flashing light in it submerged just below the surface.... See where I'm going? Calling out the bomb squad is expensive. Bringing in a marine minesweeper? Can't be cheap.

The second thing that concerns me is the 'string of lakes/man made river' bit. What exactly is this body of water? Water storage area behind a dam...cooling lake for a nuke plant...etc. Basically, is it somewhere that might cause problems for cachers seeking the cache?

I am hoping that with it below the serface of the water the light will not be able to be seen untill you are on top of it. No boats normaly get on this small string of lakes/man made river. So hopefully no they wont.

That right there is cause enough for concern in my book. If you could say boats NEVER get on this string of lakes/man made river, I'd say go for it, but since there is a chance of a random night fisherman coming along and seeing a box with a flashing light in it submerged just below the surface.... See where I'm going? Calling out the bomb squad is expensive. Bringing in a marine minesweeper? Can't be cheap.

The second thing that concerns me is the 'string of lakes/man made river' bit. What exactly is this body of water? Water storage area behind a dam...cooling lake for a nuke plant...etc. Basically, is it somewhere that might cause problems for cachers seeking the cache?

This is a park area that the city has made. Basic runoff area the city has also made pumps to keep it moving. In the 8 years I have been going to this park I have seen only 2 boats and both paddle boats. No moter boats allowed.

The area I am looking at is on the largest and the last of the string. 100% of the fishing is from docks.

Thanks for all the good info.

New twist, what do you think

My son called me today and said he was going to throw some broken yard lights away, wanted to know if I had any use for them :ph34r:. I went over and got them, and they still work. See what I am thinking about.

My only thoughts here are

1. taking them apart and adding to a water tight container

2. can I get a brighter led to replace the ones on them

3. Will the solar pannel charge battery while in the water.

4. Where can I get 4 more broken yard lights :)