Double encrypting hints.

Has anyone used the "science" of what's indicated below to double encrypt so that those who can read the normal encrypted hint without converting them manually have more difficulty using some version of this?

Don't delete this just because it looks weird.

> Believe it or not, you can

> read it.

> I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty

> uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The

> phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to

> rscheearch at Cmabrigde

> Uinervti sy, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the

> ltteers in a word are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is

> that the first and last

> ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a

> taotl mses and you can sitll

> raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn

> mnid deos not raed

> ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

> Amzanig huh?

Dino: Taht is a geart ieda! The olny pobrelm is tehy hvae to cvnerot the rvseered wdros taht wree slleped bwacarkds. Whit tihs meothd, ocne tehy cernovt it wtih ROT, tehy can eilsay raed it as you can raed tihs. You can raed tihs, cna't you? <_<

Edited by Alan2

Dino: Taht is a geart ieda! The olny pobrelm is tehy hvae to cvnerot the rvseered wdros taht wree slleped bwacarkds. Whit tihs meothd, ocne tehy cernovt it wtih ROT, tehy can eilsay raed it as you can raed tihs. You can raed tihs, cna't you? :D

Say what??? <_<

Yeah, I can read it, but I thought you were going to mess up spell some of the words... <_<

I haven't used double encryption but have entertained the thought. Even just writing it backward and with no spaces should be enough prevent most people who are fluent in ROT-13 from accidentally reading it.

I did use that method on one hind, it was almost a paragraph in all caps with no spaces, but it was a very precise description of the location

YOUDBESURPRISEDHOWHARDITISTOTYPEWITHOUTUSINGANYSPACESIGUESSITSTHESAMEKINDOFMINDPATTERNSASTHEREADINGOFTHEMIXEDUPWORDS

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I encrypt all my posts with ROT13 twice for good measure.

Me too. This post included.

Anyway, it annoys me when people use their own cipher for hints on a traditional cache. If it's a puzzle cache, then that should be part of the puzzle, not part of hint. That's my opinion...

Dino: Taht is a geart ieda! The olny pobrelm is tehy hvae to cvnerot the rvseered wdros taht wree slleped bwacarkds. Whit tihs meothd, ocne tehy cernovt it wtih ROT, tehy can eilsay raed it as you can raed tihs. You can raed tihs, cna't you? :o

It took me 15 hours to write the decryption software, and another 10 for it to run all possible permutations, but I finally got it. I've reported your obscene personal attack to the admins!

:o:o:o

Dino: Taht is a geart ieda! The olny pobrelm is tehy hvae to cvnerot the rvseered wdros taht wree slleped bwacarkds. Whit tihs meothd, ocne tehy cernovt it wtih ROT, tehy can eilsay raed it as you can raed tihs. You can raed tihs, cna't you? :sad:

It took me 15 hours to write the decryption software, and another 10 for it to run all possible permutations, but I finally got it. I've reported your obscene personal attack to the admins!

:drama::sad::wub:

Actually I ran my email Outlook Express on it and it corrected the spelling on about 90% of the words.

I have a hint in French that is ROT13 encrypted - "en bas de la rue" (at the end of the road). The cache is hidden in a conservation area at the end of French Avenue.

Another cache that I'd be cussing the hider when I encountered it in the field. Hints should help you when you need it, when it's untranslatable in the field it's not a hint, it's a puzzle.

I have a hint in French that is ROT13 encrypted - "en bas de la rue" (at the end of the road). The cache is hidden in a conservation area at the end of French Avenue.

Another cache that I'd be cussing the hider when I encountered it in the field. Hints should help you when you need it, when it's untranslatable in the field it's not a hint, it's a puzzle.

A little clarification...

The cache is a puzzle cache. The cache page has pictures of locations in my town along with the distance to the cache. After finding the locations of the pics and figuring out the intersecting circles, the hint is a check.

If I use "French Avenue" or "at the end of the road" that would be a spoiler.

Wayland 14.0 - Roadside Wayland (GCRJQY)

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I graduated with a BA in Psych and this study came up all the time in classes. This and when the names of colors are spelled out in a different color

BLUE GREEN YELLOW PURPLE RED ORANGE

etc.

:):blink::ph34r::)

I missed you point here???

It's another reading/mental exercise along the lines of the OP. You're supposed to name the colors of the words as fast as you can -- not the word, but the color that the word is.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I graduated with a BA in Psych and this study came up all the time in classes. This and when the names of colors are spelled out in a different color

BLUE GREEN YELLOW PURPLE RED ORANGE

etc.

:):blink::ph34r::)

I missed you point here???

It's called the "Stroop Effect".

From wikipedia.com

In psychology, the Stroop effect is a demonstration of interference in the reaction time of a task. When a word such as blue, green, red, etc. is printed in a color differing from the color expressed by the word's semantic meaning (e.g. the word "red" printed in blue ink), a delay occurs in the processing of the word's color, leading to slower test reaction times and an increase in mistakes. The effect is named after its discoverer, John Ridley Stroop, and was first noted in an article Studies of interference in serial verbal reactions published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology in 1935; and since then it has been one of the most cited papers in the history of experimental psychology.

The cache is a puzzle cache. The cache page has pictures of locations in my town along with the distance to the cache. After finding the locations of the pics and figuring out the intersecting circles, the hint is a check.

And what I'm saying is that is not a hint - it gives you no help in the field (unless you read french). What you have is another puzzle on the page. And when I decrypt that line while on the hunt - expecting some help because I can't find the cache - I'll be cussing you for putting a non-hint there, just as if you had encrypted "no help needed" or "email me for a hint" or any other waste of space/time "hint".

And what I'm saying is that is not a hint - it gives you no help in the field (unless you read french). What you have is another puzzle on the page. And when I decrypt that line while on the hunt - expecting some help because I can't find the cache - I'll be cussing you for putting a non-hint there, just as if you had encrypted "no help needed" or "email me for a hint" or any other waste of space/time "hint".

What if the hider adds a hint in English, and the seeker doesn't understand the hint? Does that make it a puzzle?