ISP Blocking Notification eMails

PDOP's

It appears that Shaw.ca started to block some emails from GC.com last Thursday afternoon (April 26th). PQ's and contact emails work, watchlist and notifies don't. At elast one of the local cachers has contacted them but is there anything GC.com can do too? Send them a request or explanation?

Ask your ISP to add groudspeak/geocaching.com to thier whitelists to allow all mail to go through. First step anyway.

Also seriously condider getting some other kind of email address to help resolve the issue. Many places to get one for free.

Ask your ISP to add groudspeak/geocaching.com to thier whitelists to allow all mail to go through. First step anyway.

Also seriously condider getting some other kind of email address to help resolve the issue. Many places to get one for free.

Ok, please bear with me because I know we are discussing this in the other topic but this one raised some questions too:

1. My ISP does not show Groundspeak as being blocked. Can I still ask Groundspeak to get on their whitelist? If so what email at Groundspeak do we use to ask for the white list addition

2. If I get another email address, how will that change anyhting? Emails will still go through my ISP like they do now with our Juno account. Wouldn't I have to completely change who we get internet access from? Of which there is one and none. :blink:

Ok, please bear with me because I know we are discussing this in the other topic but this one raised some questions too:

1. My ISP does not show Groundspeak as being blocked. Can I still ask Groundspeak to get on their whitelist? If so what email at Groundspeak do we use to ask for the white list addition

2. If I get another email address, how will that change anyhting? Emails will still go through my ISP like they do now with our Juno account. Wouldn't I have to completely change who we get internet access from? Of which there is one and none. :blink:

As for #1 - sorry but I just don't trust what they say as spam filtering/blocking is done fairly automatically. Ask them to whitelist ALL email from Groundspeak *@Groundspeak.com and *.geocaching.com

As for #2 - your email account can work very independently of your ISP. It is easy to have an email address from one provider and get the mail when connected through another. That is how business travers do it when connecting to internet at a motel.

2. If I get another email address, how will that change anyhting? Emails will still go through my ISP like they do now with our Juno account. Wouldn't I have to completely change who we get internet access from? Of which there is one and none. :D

As for #1 - sorry but I just don't trust what they say as spam filtering/blocking is done fairly automatically. Ask them to whitelist ALL email from Groundspeak *@Groundspeak.com and *.geocaching.com

As for #2 - your email account can work very independently of your ISP. It is easy to have an email address from one provider and get the mail when connected through another. That is how business travers do it when connecting to internet at a motel.

Hmmm - a local cacher who has the same ISP as me is getting all the emails. But his PQS are slow. Come to think of it so are mine. And why do I receive the copies of my emails, which must come direct from Groundspeak, when I contact someone through their Groundspeak profile? Those come through just fine. Now I am more confused. :blink:

2. If I get another email address, how will that change anyhting? Emails will still go through my ISP like they do now with our Juno account. Wouldn't I have to completely change who we get internet access from? Of which there is one and none. :D

Hmmm - a local cacher who has the same ISP as me is getting all the emails. But his PQS are slow. Come to think of it so are mine. And why do I receive the copies of my emails, which must come direct from Groundspeak, when I contact someone through their Groundspeak profile? Those come through just fine. Now I am more confused. :blink:

Could be filtering of some kind on your own pc. maybe....

FOURTH call to Shaw. Fourth "customer service" Rep.

Finally demanded the supervisor and he

CONFIRMED

!--Geocaching IS being blocked as a spammer due to excess "bouncebacks"

2-- Shaw won't do anything about my (our) request to "whitelist" GC.com/Groundspeak

3--Groundspeak must contact Shaw and deal (beg) with Shaw

Another forum discussing this problem CalgarycachersForum

You can complain to Shaw here Shaw Support

I will be posting this text in the other threads

I had to completely change the email account where I was previously receiving notify emails - moving it over to my regular ISP. I was using a web based email and they must have been throttling the emails (though I have yet to receive any so I think it must be that Groundspeak is blacklisted with them.) Soon as new email was validated started to receive notify emails again.

So a lot of providers seem to be starting to block Groundspeak emails. I think it will not be long before our ISP does it as well as the number of cachers in the area grows.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I definitely learned a lot today. :blink:

FOURTH call to Shaw. Fourth "customer service" Rep.

Finally demanded the supervisor and he

CONFIRMED

!--Geocaching IS being blocked as a spammer due to excess "bouncebacks"

2-- Shaw won't do anything about my (our) request to "whitelist" GC.com/Groundspeak

3--Groundspeak must contact Shaw and deal (beg) with Shaw

Another forum discussing this problem CalgarycachersForum

You can complain to Shaw here Shaw Support

I will be posting this text in the other threads

That's just bass ackwards. Shaw is perfectly capable of doing the right thing and following up to verify that Groundspeak is legit.

I've had this problem recently with AT&T Worldnet. I've been exchanging messages with them on a newgroup forum, here is the latest:

"Our folks looked into your report, and it appears Groundspeak runs into this

problem because they are attempting to connect too often.

When they get a temp failure they try to connect even harder and harder which

triggers off alarms on our end as that looks like a Denial of Service attack.

Our security systems then investigate and clear the traffic, and after about 30

minutes their messages do come through."

...and then this:

"Klatch, I do not know but will relay your concerns to those who manage the mail

and internet security teams.

Perhaps if Groundspeak.com were less aggressive their traffic would not take on

the appearance of a DoS attack thus triggering alarms at our front door?

Apparantly their aggressiveness has affected delivery to other services as well,

such as Yahoo.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=threaded"

Anyway, Gmail seems to be working fine.

If you want a Gmail invite, I'm sure that many people would be willing to hook you up.

Thanks, but I guess I should have said "Gmail is working fine for me".

My reply was more for the OP.

And you don't need invites for gmail anymore...it is open to everyone.

If you want a Gmail invite, I'm sure that many people would be willing to hook you up.

Thanks, but I guess I should have said "Gmail is working fine for me".

My reply was more for the OP.

And you don't need invites for gmail anymore...it is open to everyone.

I got this from my ISP:

geocaching.com uses the address "noreply" for their weekly notifications, which will be rejected by our servers.

Since noreply is most often used by spammers (about 98 out of 100 messages), it does not warrant allowing mail addressed from that address.

You could try to contact them and see if they'll make their newsletters come from a more respectable address, but what I've done for geocaching.com is to setup a Hotmail account and have those weekly notifications sent there.

I got this from my ISP:

geocaching.com uses the address "noreply" for their weekly notifications, which will be rejected by our servers.

Since noreply is most often used by spammers (about 98 out of 100 messages), it does not warrant allowing mail addressed from that address.

You could try to contact them and see if they'll make their newsletters come from a more respectable address, but what I've done for geocaching.com is to setup a Hotmail account and have those weekly notifications sent there.

Wow...that pegged my BS meter.

98 out of 100 SPAM messages also use the word "THE" somewhere in the body of the email. Let's block those, too. :shocked:

Edited by Stunod

Actually, the weekly notices come from "lobot at geocaching.com"

The insti-noties/owner logs/watchlists come from "noreply at geocaching.com"

Waymarking notices come from "noreply at Waymarking.com"

I got this from my ISP:

Wow...that pegged my BS meter.

98 out of 100 SPAM messages also use the word "THE" somewhere in the body of the email. Let's block those, too. :shocked:

That was my first thought too.

I'll just try out my Yahoo mail account.