UNFAIR ADVANTAGE - INSTA NOTIFICATION

TEAM WOMBAT

As a subscriber to Groundspeak I feel I should have the right to the same information as other members.

I have insta notification set up, Rupert's Trek (GC12GQD) was published on the 29th April 07, Cacher Silama and Bear_Left both have done the cache on the 30th April 07 yet my notification of this cache did not arrive in my inbox until 1st May 07.

The same situation applies to Gwelup Poles (GC12GQH) & Deanmore Delights (GC12GT5) once again both cacher's Silama & Everlasting were able to do this cache on the 30th April 07.

WHY DO SOME CACHER"S GET INSTA NOTIFICATION INFORMATION BEFORE OTHER CACHER'S

Regards TEAM WOMBAT

Perhaps the other cachers have a more reliable e-mail service. Yahoo, AOL, Juno and others have been reported as "throttling" e-mails from Geocaching.com. There's even a thread about GMail issues... traditionally, GMail has been the most reliable.

And, from time to time there have been server glitches where the e-mails have backed up on the Geocaching.com server side. In that case, anyone who searched for new listings the old fashioned way would have an advantage over someone relying on insta-notify.

Just a guess.....

Although the emails generally get generated at the same time, sadly some ISP's throttle info coming from Groundspeak.

They limit they number or amount of emails in any given time period. AOL, Yahoo and several others have been confirmed to do this at various times.

Also - sometimes your email service may just not be working properly and that delays the delivery notification.

edit:

((what the hamster said))

Edited by StarBrand

Always happy to help a Wombat ;)

Why wait for the emails? Use this link to check for new caches in your area. Check this link several times a day....any new caches should be listed at the top. I use a similar link in my home state daily.

Looks like you will have an extra step in chosing Western Australia from the pull down menu though...I dont have to do that!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=3

Hi Guys,

thanks for your suggestions, I'll have to do as WeatherednBoston suggests, I have also been looking for the platinum membership, been looking for that option now for 4 days can't find it on the geo web site. lol

Regards team wombat

Not being terribly computer literate, doesn't this indicate the problem is in the Groundspeak System? Many of my instant notifications have been days late.

Received: from signal.Groundspeak.com ([66.150.167.157])

by att.net (alnwmxc02) with ESMTP

id <20070502065704a0200a8bgie>; Wed, 2 May 2007 06:57:04 +0000

X-Originating-IP: [66.150.167.157]

Received: from hal.Groundspeak.com (hal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.136])

by signal.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A0ADA9F6C2

for <nospam@att.net>; Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:15:21 -0700 (PDT)

Not being terribly computer literate, doesn't this indicate the problem is in the Groundspeak System? Many of my instant notifications have been days late.

Received: from signal.Groundspeak.com ([66.150.167.157])

by att.net (alnwmxc02) with ESMTP

id <20070502065704a0200a8bgie>; Wed, 2 May 2007 06:57:04 +0000

X-Originating-IP: [66.150.167.157]

Received: from hal.Groundspeak.com (hal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.136])

by signal.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A0ADA9F6C2

for <nospam@att.net>; Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:15:21 -0700 (PDT)

Not necessarily, could be a problem but could also indicate the first time that the att server would accept the mail from Groundspeak. All too common.

I'm no e-mail header expert, but that looks to me like Groundspeak sent it Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:15:21 -0700 (PDT) and that att.net allowed it to be recieved Wed, 2 May 2007 06:57:04 +0000.

I would hazard a guess that the reviewer published that cache some time around 14:15 PDT on April 29.

At least your email notifications are arriving. I have not gotten an email notification since last week. No new caches, no founds on our caches, no cache notifications of any kind. I use Juno but it is web based, strictly email, and is not my ISP. First time we have had an issue since we started notifications. And we have changed nothing.

I am getting pocket queries and contact emails when I email someone from their geocaching.com profile. Why is that? Different servers? Different ISPs?

Others are having issues who also do not use the ISPs named as causing issues. Clearly there is something wrong somewhere. Any other ideas on how to solve it? Isn't instant notification a premium feature?

I do check the newest ones in our state on our profile page but some are 400 miles away which means going into each one and loading the map to see where exactly in the state it is located. Some descriptions tell where but the majority don't. Just got used to the ease of instant gratification - oops - I mean notification. :cool:

Edited by GPX Navigators

The ISPs cited are merely examples - lots of other ISPs either trap Groundspeak emails as SPAM or throttle the rate at which they are received. Very frustrating. Contact your email provider and tell them you are not getting emails you expected - see what they say.

If history is any teacher, they'll say that it the onus is on Groundspeak to contact them to get added to their whitelist. :blink:

That's why I changed.

So true. The problem has reared it's ugly head with shaw.ca and that is their exact response. Groundspeak has been asked to provide the information. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to sort out the problem.

Edited by jangor

Thanks for the help so far. I will also ask our local group if anyone else is having problems.

The ISPs cited are merely examples - lots of other ISPs either trap Groundspeak emails as SPAM or throttle the rate at which they are received. Very frustrating. Contact your email provider and tell them you are not getting emails you expected - see what they say.

Well I called them and neither of the ISPs noted in the message a few up are blocked. Anyone have any other ISPs I can have them check? We tried it with astericks in place of the last 3 numbers but that did not work.

If history is any teacher, they'll say that it the onus is on Groundspeak to contact them to get added to their whitelist. :blink:

That's why I changed.

What did you switch to? Or better question - you mean you switched your ISP?

Edited by GPX Navigators

That's why I changed.

What did you switch to? Or better question - you mean you switched your ISP?

Originally I had a provider that supplied my e-mail as well. I had already switched my ISP but clung to an antiquated e-mail provider. When they consistently blocked Groundspeak notifications, I finally switched to GMail, dumping the old provider and e-mail service altogether.

Hi Guys,

thanks for your suggestions, I'll have to do as WeatherednBoston suggests, I have also been looking for the platinum membership, been looking for that option now for 4 days can't find it on the geo web site. lol

Regards team wombat

You can't find the platinum membership. When you are ready, it will find you. :D:D

Seriously though, have you ever heard of a snipe hunt? :D:blink:

You might want to stop looking.

Hi Guys,

Regards team wombat

You can't find the platinum membership. When you are ready, it will find you. :D:D

No, What is a snipe hunt?

Hi Guys,

Regards team wombat

No, What is a snipe hunt?

A red herring...

Personally, I use the e-mail account I set up on my server for my website. It always goes through instantly and it will NEVER be blocked.

Hi Mr Candyman,

how would I go about setting up an e-mail account on my son's server?

Regards team wombat

Personally, I use the e-mail account I set up on my server for my website. It always goes through instantly and it will NEVER be blocked.

Hi Mr Candyman,

how would I go about setting up an e-mail account on my son's server?

Regards team wombat

Send me a PM and I can set you up an account on my server......