Assume you're the teacher

Assume for argument sake you are approached by someone who has a basic knowledge of geocaching, (they know it involves using GPS coords to locate a container with a logbook, but that's it), and they are asking for more details. They think caching sounds like a really kewl hobby, and they know that you are a participant in this, our favorite addiction.

Assuming time is not a factor, what do you tell potential noobs about the game?

Assume for argument sake you are approached by someone who has a basic knowledge of geocaching, (they know it involves using GPS coords to locate a container with a logbook, but that's it), and they are asking for more details. They think caching sounds like a really kewl hobby, and they know that you are a participant in this, our favorite addiction.

Its easier to show, than do. I have a friend, who I explained it to. I told her that its kinda like hiking, with a treasure hunt. I told her I'd gladly take her sometime. Thats about the best I've come to explaining it.

Its easier to show, than do. I have a friend, who I explained it to. I told her that its kinda like hiking, with a treasure hunt. I told her I'd gladly take her sometime. Thats about the best I've come to explaining it.

I agree. I really don't like explaining it because it never sounds as fun as it really is when you do it.

Depends - just one single individual, how much info do they want to know? Set up an account for them (put an active cache or three on their watch list) then sit down with them and walk them through the site, show the advantages of being a PM (all the extras), show how to get the info from the computer to the devices - palm/GPS. Show them how to filter and sort caches, explain the different types of caches, styles of hides, typical containers, old school navigation.

Don't forget travel bugs, coins, typical trade items cache placement guidelines good containers -v- bad containers

Even someone with 10 finds so far can answer this one.

I had a friend here that seemed pretty interested,so I showed him the website,explained,and so on.Then came the fun part.I set up a geocache training course.I took an ammo can,a small tube(Micro simulator) and hid them.I also hid a gatorade container wrapped in a sandbag,that had the coords to an ammo can in it,to simulate a multi.He was completely unfamiliar with caching or GPSes before....after he was loving it!Then I had him hide ammo cans and bring back the coords for me to find,for him to practice setting up caches.It was a blast!I'd love to show another person the ropes with the same methods.It's all dependent on the person's motivation to learn caching is how much fun you'll have,IMO.He ended up placing a cache out here before he redeployed.

I think introuducing someone to caching and finding out they enjoyed it a ton was my best caching experience to date(Not that there's been that many of them B) ).

The reason I asked, is I recently found myself in this exact position. I opted not to temper my instructions with my own personal bias, and instead, showed them a sampling of several cache containers, including an ammo box, Lock-n-Lock, (I think?), decon kit, match container and bison tube. I explained the differences between traditionals, multis, puzzles, virtuals, webcams and earth caches, and spoke at length about ethical standards, including trading, tread lightly, muggle awareness, permission, etc. I touched a bit on generalized GPSr use, and since they didn't own one at the time, showed them some alternate means to locate caches, which they improved upon. We also spoke of benefits vs cost in regards to various models of GPSr's, then we discussed their potential future hides. I suggested they pick a number, (any number), as a goal, then find that many caches before hiding their own, so they will gather a higher degree of experience.

Hi Grape, I'm not sure. In the scenario I described to them, the actual number is completely arbitrary, as it's more about the thought process involved in setting and achieving a goal, while making observations, then it is in reaching someone else's proposed number. I mentioned that some folks choose 25, some choose 50, some choose 100, and others don't choose at all. This couple is exceedingly intelligent, so I'm kinda hoping that, if they choose a number, they either pick a low one, or hurry up and achieve their goal, since I can hardly wait to see what they'll come up with. Southeast Central Florida has gained a formidable caching team. ;)

Take them to easy-to-find parking lot micros, over and over again, until they think you're a freak and stop bugging you.

A new cacher came to a meeting we had in Anderson SC. He came armed with a new GPS and wasn't familiar with its operation.

There was a magnetic key container under a light pole in the parking lot, so we showed him how to enter his coords and let him find it. He thought it was great! The first time someone finds a skirtlifter, they are amused. Now I agree, after several it gets old however, it was a clever hide for a newbie in that paticular setting. It is a good basic "Think outside the box" lesson.

I have removed all my caches in that category and don't have future plans on placing any like that.

Now agree or disagree, they are the cache of choice for most new hiders and seekers and they are here to stay. We are slowly becoming the Soccer mom/dad geocaching place...

EDIT: I take back the statement about removing all my skirtlifter and magnet caches. I left one skirtlifting multi in place that actually has a DNF and I have had 1 email for a hint and a phone a friend on this cache. The purpose of this cache was to teach cachers to think outside the box and it appears to be doing it's job. You can make a cache entertaing, even an urban cache.

Edited by TalesFromTheSurface

Actually, I got into it because of my girlfriend. Her parents bought a GPSR to go geocaching so she was explaning to me for about an hour what it was. I was kinda bored with the explanation but ti still sounded like I'd get hooked so I bought a GPSR and we've been caching ever since (though I have way more finds than her, hehe). In the last week and a half now I've otten 2 of my friends into it. Neither have their own GPSR yet, but they'll both buy one soon. For now they just come along with me. How I explained it to them was something along the lines of "Arrrg! I be using satellites to hunt me treasure!" And then took them each out for a trip hunting some and they're pretty hooked.