Unique cache containers that you have created

Lotho

Ive made this topic for people to post a unique cache holder they have made themselves. Please say how you did it and what materials are needed.

Please use this or a similar template.

Name of product

You will need:

bla

bla

bla

Method:

bla bla bla

Heres mine.

Mushroom/toadstool micros.

You will need:

Some sort of foam(denser that packing foam)

A small knife with teeth/small saw

White paint(or another color to mimic surrounding mushrooms)Hollow Plastic plumbing type tube(size

depending on how big the stalk is going to be on the mushroom)

sealant(silicone preferably)

Hot chocolate powder (cocoa)

Sand(glass) paper

Method:

First of all, cut a square out of the foam. The size needs to be relevant to the piping that will be the stalk. Then cut a bit of the corners off and shape the foam into a rough dome. Sand it down until you are happy with the shape. Now, cut a piece of foam and bung it in the end of the tube which will go into the ground. Push it into the tube slightly and seal it with your sealant. After thats dried, push the tube into the flat part of the dome. It should now roughly resemble a mushroom/toadstool. Now, paint the pipe and the foam with your paint. *NB:spray paint will dissolve the foam making it not your original shape* Now, to make it look more natural, gently tap the cocoa onto the wet paint to give it a speckled effect. Leave to dry. A few hours later, the mushroom should be ready for use.

You can(depending on the size) fit a pencil and log in there for a micro cache

OR

For a stage of a multi, place the clue/coordinates on a piece of paper and place inside the tube.

It should now be waterproof and ready for the Geocaching world. When you get to the desired site, push a bit of the pipe into the ground to stop it from moving. You may want to make a note of this in the clue so they don't come back with a DNF. You could partially conceal the mushrooms so muggles will not chance upon them.

Now, write your designs!

Dont feel you have to write an essay like i have though. :)

Edited by Lotho

Ok, ill get up close pictures and pictures from around 10ft away..i would say they will be on here in a round 30 min. Check back then.

*EDIT* Ive added the pictures to the original post.

p1000200gc7.th.jpg 'Shrooms from close up

p1000203pk5.th.jpg 'Shrooms from further

p1000204ba1.th.jpg Pipe meets foam

I had 2 more pictures but its throwing a hissy fit about dynamics in the or something, so those 3 will have to do.

Edited by Lotho

I skinned the shrieking carcass of Mr. Thomas alive, he wouldn’t find charitable death until I had eaten most of him. Skinning a human alive is a delicate process, you don’t want them to bleed to death before you’ve finished, and they do struggle so.

After I hollowed out his skull, I placed some trinkets into the cavity and published the spot as a geocache. Now, every so often, one of you miserable sacks of snot and fat come to visit me. If it pleases me, I allow the trespasser to live.

56a9398b-725a-49bf-8ec0-84150399541e.jpg

I skinned the shrieking carcass of Mr. Thomas alive, he wouldn’t find charitable death until I had eaten most of him. Skinning a human alive is a delicate process, you don’t want them to bleed to death before you’ve finished, and they do struggle so.

After I hollowed out his skull, I placed some trinkets into the cavity and published the spot as a geocache. Now, every so often, one of you miserable sacks of snot and fat come to visit me. If it pleases me, I allow the trespasser to live.

56a9398b-725a-49bf-8ec0-84150399541e.jpg

Yes. I Am determined to find this one this summer sometime :rolleyes:

Here is, The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Holyhandgrenade1.jpg

What it started out as, a citronella flare

holyhandgrenade3.jpg

With the top and locking cap removed

holyhandgrenade7.jpg

Shows the internal space for swaps

holyhandgrenade6.jpg

The wick holder modified by glueing a 25mm poly tube to the bottom, the wick cut and glued in for effect, and the plug for the bottom. This will be the log book container. There is a rubber seal under the flange.

holyhandgrenade10.jpg

The completed log book container back in place

holyhandgrenade11.jpg

The locking cap back in place

holyhandgrenade13.jpg

The cross on the cap, hand cut from aluminium plate, glued and riveted in place.

holyhandgrenade16.jpg

With gold braid and jewels added

holyhandgrenade17.jpg

How the log book container works

holyhandgrenade18.jpg

And thats it, the completed Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Cheers

Bundy

Edited by Bundyrumandcoke

Yeah, sorry about the back and forth, I am still learning how to post pics in here, (I've since worked it out, I may fix the original post up) but at 11 oclcock last night, with a few drinks under my belt, I wasnt terribly worried.

As for the container getting muggled, hopefully, it wont be a problem. The problem in general isnt as bad here as it is for you guys.

Original post fixed.

Cheers

Bundy

Edited by Bundyrumandcoke

When hunting that cache, watch out for any white rabbits.

...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu...

"Um, skip a bit, brother"

... And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen.

Had a most excellent disguise on my Stinky Beach Again cache . It formerly had been muggled as a traditional cache; I adopted it from the original owner and converted to a multi- cache Shortlty after, it was multi-muggled. I was so disappointed, I spent practically all winter using barge cement and found items like drftwood and bark, and spray-painted sand. But alas, Multi-muggled. Replaced with a dollar store camo-painted screw-top. Please consider A.D.A. series for the Northern California

Delorme Challenge. Apparently, This series is quite contraversial: anyone who knows me knows that I am usually a really non-confrontational kind of folk. My intentions are honorable,

Comon must be more ideas out there

att2246441ie6.jpg

Big fake rock.

I built a frame work out of some scrap wood that looked something like a three tiered cake. Topped the top layer with a bunch of wadded up newspaper covered it with an old polar fleece blanket. Three coats of epoxy resin on top, then I stripped the framework except for the bottom ring and gave the insides a couple more coats of resin. couple days of spraypainting and walla, fake rock. It's big enough to hold probably two regular sized ammo cans.

Ive made this topic for people to post a unique cache holder they have made themselves. Please say how you did it and what materials are needed.

Please use this or a similar template.

Name of product

You will need:

bla

bla

bla

Method:

bla bla bla

Heres mine.

Mushroom/toadstool micros.

You will need:

Some sort of foam(denser that packing foam)

A small knife with teeth/small saw

White paint(or another color to mimic surrounding mushrooms)Hollow Plastic plumbing type tube(size

depending on how big the stalk is going to be on the mushroom)

sealant(silicone preferably)

Hot chocolate powder (cocoa)

Sand(glass) paper

Method:

First of all, cut a square out of the foam. The size needs to be relevant to the piping that will be the stalk. Then cut a bit of the corners off and shape the foam into a rough dome. Sand it down until you are happy with the shape. Now, cut a piece of foam and bung it in the end of the tube which will go into the ground. Push it into the tube slightly and seal it with your sealant. After thats dried, push the tube into the flat part of the dome. It should now roughly resemble a mushroom/toadstool. Now, paint the pipe and the foam with your paint. *NB:spray paint will dissolve the foam making it not your original shape* Now, to make it look more natural, gently tap the cocoa onto the wet paint to give it a speckled effect. Leave to dry. A few hours later, the mushroom should be ready for use.

You can(depending on the size) fit a pencil and log in there for a micro cache

OR

For a stage of a multi, place the clue/coordinates on a piece of paper and place inside the tube.

It should now be waterproof and ready for the Geocaching world. When you get to the desired site, push a bit of the pipe into the ground to stop it from moving. You may want to make a note of this in the clue so they don't come back with a DNF. You could partially conceal the mushrooms so muggles will not chance upon them.

Now, write your designs!

Dont feel you have to write an essay like i have though. :unsure:

I love the mushrooms idea. I often see good cache containers out in the wild and I make it a point to take a picture using my camera phone.

I'm working on one, no pictures yet as it's a PROTOTYPE.

Basically, I'm taking a medium sized chunk of stone (yes, real rock) that has a nice smooth bottom surface. It's about 10" by 8" by about 3" thick. I've cleaned the bottom with a wire brush to remove any loose dirt or debris. Then rinsed the bottom.

With the bottom clean, I've taken some VERY STRONG Epoxy and affixed the lid off of a plastic tub (Butter tub) to the bottm and let it dry. I then painted the Butter tub with a light spray paint that matches the color od the stone close enough. I can now snap the bottom part of the tub into the lid to act as the container.

The idea is that I will be able to place the cache in with a pile of stones, or even on th ground in the woods, as long as I clean out space under the stone (Dig a little bit of a hole, or place other stones just right) for the butter tub to protude down, out of sight.

Who's going to go into the woods picking up every decent sized chunk of rack they see?

I'm working on one, no pictures yet as it's a PROTOTYPE.

Basically, I'm taking a medium sized chunk of stone (yes, real rock) that has a nice smooth bottom surface. It's about 10" by 8" by about 3" thick. I've cleaned the bottom with a wire brush to remove any loose dirt or debris. Then rinsed the bottom.

With the bottom clean, I've taken some VERY STRONG Epoxy and affixed the lid off of a plastic tub (Butter tub) to the bottm and let it dry. I then painted the Butter tub with a light spray paint that matches the color od the stone close enough. I can now snap the bottom part of the tub into the lid to act as the container.

The idea is that I will be able to place the cache in with a pile of stones, or even on th ground in the woods, as long as I clean out space under the stone (Dig a little bit of a hole, or place other stones just right) for the butter tub to protude down, out of sight.

Who's going to go into the woods picking up every decent sized chunk of rack they see?

I don't think you want to dig a hole as that would be against the rules.

I did something very similar to your idea. I took the screw top of a small, round, plastic container and epoxied it to a small stone with a flat surface. I then screwed on the container and set it into a drill hole in a rock. The drill hole was from when the rock was blasted out of the ground. When in place, all you see is the smaller rock sitting on the bigger rock (the one with the hole in it).