internet booster

I saw an add for onspeed a booster package of some kind? £25 a year. Are these packages really any good? will they help our pc's with gc.com

My parents have paid for and have onspeed on their PC at home , they are on 56K dialup , it seems to make little or no difference, all it seems to do is cache the pages that you frequently visit in the background so when you go to them they look like they load quicker , this will only really work for static parts of a page , GC.com being what it is is very dynamic so most of what you see is generated from database lookups therefore has to be loaded on the fly.

You do have options to downgrade the images that load , but im sure there are plugins to do this on Mozilla firefox anyway .

IMHO I would not waste the money .

Happy Caching and surfing

Crazycucumber.

These kind of software packages compress data during the transfer of web pages to your PC. Some of them are notorious for being riddled with spyware etc. Having said that, 'Onspeed' looks pretty much like the best of the bunch. It is mostly used for dial-up internet connections where there is no broadband access.

It won't make any difference to download speeds if the servers on which the web sites are hosted are over-worked and slow like gc.com can sometimes be. I doubt it will make much difference overall.

<More Info>

I used onspeed when I was on 28k dialup and to be honest it's the only thing that kept me sane. To get the most out of it, set it compress images to the max. Then if you need to see one at proper resolution, you can just right click it. Made a hell of a difference for me.

I tried it when it first came out - and with a money back guarantee - waste of money as it didn't change anything.

Every email I sent to get my money back was ignored!

I the future I recommend getting in touch with your credit card company and get unhonored guarantees and refunds sorted out. When we have problems in our office and run in to a wall with the company we do this, and it is always sorted very quickly, regardless of the supplier and card.

We use onspeed cause living on a boat we don't have the use of broadband and our dial up via mobile phone is only 9600. Its like biking uphill backwards!! However since using onspeed it increases our speed by up to 5 times.

If we had broadband we probably wouldn't bother with it, but with such a slow connection for us it great and wouldn't be without it