GPSr Advice

I know this gets asked ad nauseum but usually for beginner handsets or early upgrades. I'm after something more than that.

My budget is approx €300/£200 but I can stretch a little bit more if necessary.

My needs:

Sirf III chipset for obvious reasons

Colour screen

Largish screen so I can see it in the car

Any suggestions for that price range?

I also want to buy Garmin City Navigator Europe V9 as it has the best mapping coverage for Ireland so I'm limited to Garmin units (not that I'm complaining). Can anyone recommend someone selling this bundled with a GPSr?

Oh and I'm upgrading from an etrex Legend

Edited by dino-irl

That's what I really want but surely it's gonna blow my budget out of the water :)

Depends where you buy it from. I have the 60CS, its 14 months or so old now. I bought my mine via eBay from the US. I ended up buying mine for 250 pounds including all the taxes imports etc. Unopened, still in its box. It had the American basemap, but no great loss for me as with geocaching, the little country lanes you go rattling up you need a detailed UK specific map anyhow.

Anyhow, I bought my 60CS when cotswoldoutdoor.co.uk was still retailing the 60CS at over £500!! You could get on the net from a UK supplier for about £350 or so. So my eBay purchase was a substantial saving.

Go for the 60cxs

I bought mine from an american seller willing to export to uk using ebay.com

I found this to be slightly cheaper then ebay.co.uk

I had to pay £9.00 VAT plus a handling charge from royal mail (cos they had to pay the £9 for me first)

Best purchase i ever made B)

(hasn't stopped the DNF's though :) )

Depends what you want

I got a 76CSx in the USA recently for £250 from a retailer (Boaters' World) It is cheaper still on US internet but you need a US address and and credit card. The cheapest I have seen it in the Uk is internet (BlokeStuff) for £300

It is an excellent unit - the main difference with the 60 is form factor (slightly larger - think TV/VCR remote control), and it floats (being designed for the marine market). I believe it comes with a larger data chip too

It is compatible with MapSource - I am using MetroGuide USA V7 and Europe V6

edit:typo

Edited by macroderma

The 60C(s)x or 76C(s)x is what your criteria dictates. Somethings got to give. Budget...or some aspect of what you want in your GPS.

I don't need much convincing so I'd say the 60CSx is now my desired model. Can anyone recommend a particular ebay seller that you've had success with?

The other part of my query was about the Garmin City Navigator V9. I've been searching for this but not many places seem to sell it. Any recommendations on Garmin software suppliers?

Thanks for all the help so far

Edited by dino-irl