New Coin Idea

SoCalGeocoins

SoCal, on behalf of the other designer (have not talked to him/her) I would suggest dropping the idea and/or working togheter somehow. It is appearent they have put considerable time and money (paid for artwork) into the project already. They are well past the idea stage...let this one go, it is in your best interest for future projects...IMHO.

If the other designer has a problem with it then it should be up to them to say so. I was going to wait until theirs came out anyway so they wouldnt get "hurt" on sales, as someone else put it.

If the other designer wants to talk to me about it they can email me.

Well, this isn't a normal post for me on the coin topics...but if you want to make it...then make it.

I know folks have posted their ideas for coins in the past, and had someone else race in and scoop them...and I would never support that. However, in this case, you seem to have just been unfortunate enough to have someone else slightly ahead of you.

You are under no obligation to stop making yours, and you don't need to wait to release yours either. The market may not bear two similar designs, but you are perfectly within your rights to make the coin.

What happens on the forums, people like to post rough ideas of what they think they might like to do. While in the background, people have been working on designs with Graphic Artists, etc.

Maybe if you would have posted some finished artwork or even a picture of your coin, the comments would have been more in your favor or more to, well, looks like 2 coming out, same idea...

This is one of the reasons we hold off on showing artwork to a large group or posting designs.

One last item, I didnt think Pre-Sales were meant to beat someone to the punch. Usually they help the person cover some of the cost in making the coin.

Thank you for the post! Finally someone who understands what Ive been trying to say ALL day!

...After seeing the similar coin we halted our process. I think this time we are still going to go ahead and produce this coin since it is somewhat different. So Im going to be taking pre-orders for this design....

... I was going to wait until theirs came out anyway so they wouldnt get "hurt" on sales, as someone else put it....

I am confused now, you said you were going aheard and please place your per-order and now you say you are waiting? Which is it? :huh:

***************Just to clear this up*******************

We are halting our process until we have heard from the other designer and or their coin has come out. We will be producing it AFTER. Thanks to those who have emailed us with your orders, we will let you know when we will go forward with our design.

SoCalGeocoins.

Well, now I get to this post after I answered from up above...

I still say you are under no obligation to hold production of your coin...

They are similar, but very different. I did NOT know until AFTER I posted my design there was another.

I can name several coins that are similar: pirate coins, holiday coins, compass coins, frog coins, plants. Should they have all stopped their designs because they have the same ideas? Like I said before, you will have more of a choice.

More of a choice in coins that are 95% the same means that very few will buy both. What you are hearing is feedback from your customers that the market doesn't want 2 nearly identical coins - listen to them.

I posted my idea last night, it wasnt until TODAY that a post was made saying there was a similar coin in mint. I did NOT hijack any idea from anyone or anywhere! :huh: A lot of time was invested in my idea too, is my time not as valuable because its not minted yet?

I don't think anybody actually accused you of hijacking the idea. They came out with it first - just move on to another idea.

As for the time being valuable - this begs the question:

Are you doing this soley for the money? If not, chalk this up to being late to the party and put your efforts into another idea.

If the goal is really to provide something cool to the community - somebody is already doing that for this one.

Edited by kealia

They are similar, but very different. I did NOT know until AFTER I posted my design there was another.

I can name several coins that are similar: pirate coins, holiday coins, compass coins, frog coins, plants. Should they have all stopped their designs because they have the same ideas? Like I said before, you will have more of a choice.

More of a choice in coins that are 95% the same means that very few will buy both. What you are hearing is feedback from your customers that the market doesn't want 2 nearly identical coins - listen to them.

I posted my idea last night, it wasnt until TODAY that a post was made saying there was a similar coin in mint. I did NOT hijack any idea from anyone or anywhere! :huh: A lot of time was invested in my idea too, is my time not as valuable because its not minted yet?

I don't think anybody actually accused you of hijacking the idea. They came out with it first - just move on to another idea.

As for the time being valuable - this begs the question:

Are you doing this soley for the money? If not, chalk this up to being late to the party and put your efforts into another idea.

If the goal is really to provide something cool to the community - somebody is already doing that for this one.

I missed where you responded to the hijack comment. I ment that I hijacked your thread by asking the other designer to post. As for your time and ideas, there is value. My comments were just that the art was rough and the other out was professional and paid for.

If there coin is being minted right now then they should have theirs way before we get ours. They could put pre orders out now to avoid any problems on their sales.

Some people don't do pre-sales, and I think personally that is the best way to go. I've seen too many issues with pre-sale coins that I always recommend people not to do it. Not to mention that it goes against paypal's payment agreement, if you are using paypal. I personally think you should hold of and let the other coin that is already in progress go up for sale before you start taking pre-sale payments. Just my opinion though, you are free to do as you wish. :huh:

--Marky

I like the icache better! These are still neat though.

They will definitely be made. (The geotoids) I have been communicating with the manufacturer and fine tuning the details. Hopefully I will hear back from them tonight or tomorrow, then the pre sales can start :D

Stay tuned and thanks for the post.

I posted to your comment before you edited it.

Were still going to do the Icache, but not until the other ones are out.

Edited by SoCalGeocoins

What does everyone think of this idea for a new coin?

ipodnew.jpgipodnewcompas-1.jpg

Feel free to post your thoughts. Choose which one you like the most.

Thanks!

I like it. I think the one on the right with the N,S,E,W is better.

Toponym

Since the 'other' iCache geocoin already uses North,S,E,W I'd change the text to "Found It!","TNLN","DNF","TFTC". Or something else cache related. [:laughing:] Might as well remove as much similarity as possible.

I like the icache better! These are still neat though.

They will definitely be made. (The geotoids) I have been communicating with the manufacturer and fine tuning the details. Hopefully I will hear back from them tonight or tomorrow, then the pre sales can start :D

Stay tuned and thanks for the post.

I posted to your comment before you edited it.

Were still going to do the Icache, but not until the other ones are out.

Yey!!!

OK we started Pre-sales on the iCache Geocoin on Cointracking.com or Email Socalgeocoins@aol.com We are selling sets of 2 coins, one is Green on Nickel, and Pink on Black Nickel, There will be a limited edition Blue on Gold to be sold after all the sets are gone. So for $18.00 and $2.00 shipping you will receive 1 green and 1 Pink geocoin and $1.50 shipping each additional set. If outside US please email for shipping Quote.

Name:

Geo Nick:

Email address:

PAypal Email:

quantity of sets?

Well I will say after you got the icon,I talked with Oak and pulled mine. To bad for me as I worked on the coin way back in Jan and gridlox did the finish art in Feb. We will be making changes to mine and doing them later I hope and if not oh well. Having 2 coins the same coming out at the same time is crazy ,so we backed down. So fellow cachers,sorry just couldnt see 2 of the same and I think I did the right thing.

Well I will say after you got the icon,I talked with Oak and pulled mine. To bad for me as I worked on the coin way back in Jan and gridlox did the finish art in Feb. We will be making changes to mine and doing them later I hope and if not oh well. Having 2 coins the same coming out at the same time is crazy ,so we backed down. So fellow cachers,sorry just couldnt see 2 of the same and I think I did the right thing.

Yes, you did do the right thing. The market really couldn't support two coins that are almost exactly alike. That said, it is really sad that yours is the one that got pulled. I know alot of the coin minters have to line up their products and can't get them out "yesterday".

Seems that SoCal can get them out very fast. Do we have fast food coins now? :)