Thieving ****** coin nickers!

Funny how some people interpret sharing a coin for all to discover as an invitation to nab it for good and not logging in the cache or online This has just made my day :o

I sympathise - I don't know how people could do that, it's not like they can show them off to other cachrs or log them. I love finding coins in caches, but after having a couple of TBs go missing, I have to admit I'm hesitant about releasing any of mine. :blink:

I've seen a couple of instances where people have used a photo of the coin, and kept the original at home. It's not as good as finding the real thing, but you can still log it and get the icon, whilst the owner has the real coin safely at home.

Have you seen the 'Stop the Geocoin theif' coins on UK Geocachers? I wonder if anyone would pinch one of those, or if it would make them think twice? :o

Well check out my coin 'Stop Thief', admittedly it was the cache that got trashed not the coin being nicked but I expected it to last more than 6 wks :o

Saying that have a look at the last log, someone found it when passing and I've tried to email them but had not response/joy up to now...

Bonnie and I have had a couple of coins/TBs gone awol over the yrs and all of them ( apart from one which I can-not mention in-case I start another rumpus - Ref. T.Bs at events :blink: have been lost due to muggled caches , unfortunately its the chance we take when we release them into the great outdoors but so-called 'cachers' who actually nick them are worse than your everyday mugglers in my opinion....

I like the coin Clyde!

Unfortunately so does someone else :blink:

It looks like someone has found it after the cache had been muggled lying on the floor, they've created an account and logged the coin as being 'discovered' then not bothered to come back again, I have emailed them in hope but that was a few weeks ago and had nothing back.

I thought that with them actually taking the trouble to log and 'discover' the coin that they may have been interested, saying that just actually logging the coin is more than some cachers do :o:o;)

I sympathise with you, I had a similar occurence :o ....

Stolen Coin Log

Still no sign of the coin and an appeal here met with a "warning" from the "forum policeman" so don't expect any help from here :blink:

I have about 10 coins here that I'm no longer prepared to put out into the wild. I'll probably sell them on eBay at some point in time :o

Edited by Hi-Tek

Still no sign of the coin and an appeal here met with a "warning" from the "forum policeman" so don't expect any help from here :unsure:

What was the "warning" from the so-called "forum police"?

Please don't go there. It was all explained at the time.

It's an unfortunate fact that geocoins go missing either through ignorance or greed, it's happened to me and I know how annoying it is but when you leave things lying about you have to expect it from time to time. At the end of the day it's just another expense incurred while playing our game.

At the end of the day it's just another expense incurred while playing our game.

Fully appreciate that, but as someone who doesn't 'get out much' to play the game part of the pleasure is travelling vicariously through these critters and judging by the previous log comments, going to the expense of getting a nie coin and just releasing it for the pleasure of others is a welcome act. I've only lost one traveller so far to a genuine muggling, but to be an active geocacher (by this I mean monitoroing caches) then hittting a cache just to nick the coins therein is just plain wrong.

I had another coin vanish just recently and someone contacted me to say they feared for it and checked the cache to find the same thing - no logged visit, just the absence of the coin.

Just look at what a fine collection of coins one could amass just buying them on ebay, if they hadn't gone to the expense of buying a GPSr to find and then steal them. :unsure:

Funny how some people interpret sharing a coin for all to discover as an invitation to nab it for good and not logging in the cache or online This has just made my day :unsure:

Having just got back from a weekend away and looked at the link, it seems that someone WizzieWizzle has actually logged them. It seems that he had been having trouble.

They certainly appear on his profile - or am I missing something? :)

Well,hopefully the missing coin has now been located and it was all just a big mix-up after all,but I totally agree that Geocoin theft is a real sickener. I've had a cache muggled recently and you expect the sort of scumbag who finds a cache by accident and decides to destroy it,to steal anything inside which looks of value. However,I just can't understand a fellow cacher stooping so low.

On a brighter note,my son's Yorkshire Geocoin has turned up in a cache close to the one from where it looked to have been stolen last year. We'd given up any hope of seeing it again,despite contacting all the cachers who logged finds around the time of it's disappearance. I guess someone moved it on but just simply forgot to log it after all.

All's well that ends well,eh?

Take care everyone,

Leedslad31

Note to self: allow a couple of days before jumping to conclusions.

A very good idea, and I speak from experience.

Some time ago I 'grabbed' a TB from a fellow cacher as it had not been logged into the cache that I retrieved it from, and I had no response from my emails to them. Around 2 weeks later I did receive a reply. They had been on holiday in the area and had no internet access to log caches until they returned home. It was an awful chore deleting/amending/relogging the TB record to get the mileage corrected!

Maybe two lessons here:

Not a good idea to take TB's from a cache when one can't log them straight away.

Allow weeks not days for an email response.

I am glad it all ended well ;)

Jon