Is this TB name appropiate?

Hi there,

We're currently making a TB that we want to have travel around Europe. It's a small gargoyle which is picking his nose. We were thinking of naming him "Booger".

Now here's where we're a bit concerned...

We know that some words can have many different meanings, depending on where in the world the word is mentioned. Over here, (in the US) "Booger" refers to the green things found in one's nose. We've heard them refered (we think) as "bogeys" in one of the Harry Potter films. We've also heard the term "bugger" on various British TV programs. Sometimes it seemed to mean "go away", as in "bugger off", other times it seemed to have more of a lewd conotation.

We would really like to use the name "Booger", but we don't wish to freak people out if it has some other meaning over there! Please let us know your opinions on the matter. If anyone knows of any meaning this word may have in other parts of Europe, please let us know that as well!

Thanks for any help! :laughing:

hmm isn't a bogey something you eat, flick or snort and a sheep is used for a ***** but a booger doesn't sound like any of these. If anything, it sounds like a tragic 70's disco dancing gimp. So now you know you're safe in the hands of the Qeens men, but what about south of the equator? You sure better hope they don't b~**er your TB up!!!

Aii

Edited by fraggle69

Thanks for all your help! We'll be sending Booger on his journey as soon as we do a write up of his mission, and perhaps give him a coat of sealant.

I didn't realize that "b*gger was that bad of a term! :laughing: I kinda thought it meant a "mischeivous rascal", such as "some little b*gger stole my gnome.", or "who's the b*gger that ate the last of the cheese?"

Glad to hear that "booger" is recognized as being quite tame! Be on the lookout for a slightly ill-mannered gargoyle heading your way! We'll post a picture of him here soon. :laughing:

I can understand the confusion, b*gger is used in a lighthearted way, as you suggest, but it does have an extremely lewd actual meaning. If any confused Americans want to know more, try looking up b*gger in a dictionary (online or real) but whatever you do, don't google it! :laughing:

Good luck with the TB :laughing:

:smile:

As a kid, when playing hide and seek with friends.... if the game was suddenly called off for any reason (cheating etc) everyone started shouting 'Games A Bogey'

Here in Scotland, a bogey is also a home-made go-kart make from wood and a set of old pram wheels... usually..... with a peice of string for steering :huh: probably not too safe now I think back on it!

gb

Bogey is also a term for a ghost, as in the "Bogey Man" I think it's of Scottish origin.

Incidentally (it's boring fact time) when people used to play golf alone, they would play against an imaginary person or "bogey". So if a hole normally took four strokes to complete then that was what the "Bogey" was capable of - it meant the same as "par". Then an improvent in the technology for manufacturing golf balls happened, and everyone got better by one stroke, except the poor old Bogey, who had to carry on using inferior imaginary balls, was one stroke behind everyone. And that's the origin of the golf term "bogey" meaning one over par.