Adding FTF to Log Page

I would like to see Groundspeak add the FTF option under "log your visit". Once someone has logged this on a cache then the FTF option is no longer available. That way when you look at someones profile it would also show how many FTF's they have. Just a thought...what does anyone else think?

I don't think you'll see this feature. Especially if you don't ask in the Geocaching.com section of the forums.

The site's philosophy is that geocaching shouldn't be competitive. An FTF feature would run counter to that.

We already see confusion and sniping about who is really FTF. If there was a checkbox for FTF, I predict that the first to log would often check the box, claiming that it's an online feature and they were the first to log online.

Although we love FTFs, we would not like to see such an option for a couple of reasons:

1) The first to log on GC.com does NOT mean that person is the FTF (although a few will disagree).

2) Some cachers are 'given' the FTF (i.e advance notice of a cache before publication). Some view this as a true FTF, whereas others do not. Let both groups of people quietly consider themselves FTF.

Instead of rewarding an FTF on-line, we like to reward the FTF with a prize. This will ensure the first to actually find the cache will get the prize (regardless of when they log on GC.com), and we NEVER give anyone advance notice.

The site's philosophy is that geocaching shouldn't be competitive. An FTF feature would run counter to that.

Not to start another topic, but since our first day of caching, we got the sense that geocaching is competitive. On our second cache find we met a cacher who spoke quite a bit about 'who had more finds than others'. In addition we noticed right away that a cacher's find count appears beside their name on all logs. This suggested to us that number of finds was somewhat important. Given all the forum discussion debates we've seen regarding how cachers count their finds, tracking FTFs on-line would be very consistent with the site.

Not to start another topic, but since our first day of caching, we got the sense that geocaching is competitive. On our second cache find we met a cacher who spoke quite a bit about 'who had more finds than others'.

Its only competetive for people who make it competetive.

As far as the OP's suggestion, I think writing "Yeeeeee haaaaaaa! FTF!!!!! Take that you second and third to find losers!!!" in your online log is good enough.

Edited by briansnat

I would like to see Groundspeak add the FTF option under "log your visit". Once someone has logged this on a cache then the FTF option is no longer available. That way when you look at someones profile it would also show how many FTF's they have. Just a thought...what does anyone else think?

I think it would be one more thing to add to the tensions some people have concerning FTFs.

I might be wrong, but I believe cachestats considers the First to Log (on-line) as the FTF, which is not always the FTF.

I believe it simply looks for the text "FTF" or similar in the wording of a log.

Correct. You can set it to look for whatever text you like to add in lieu of FTF. You can also manually select/deselect any logs that may or may not contain your magical word or phrase.

For example, I may write that I almost got FTF but so-and-so beat me to it. I wouldn't want that particular log increasing my FTF count.

I might be wrong, but I believe cachestats considers the First to Log (on-line) as the FTF, which is not always the FTF.

I believe it simply looks for the text "FTF" or similar in the wording of a log.

Correct. You can set it to look for whatever text you like to add in lieu of FTF. You can also manually select/deselect any logs that may or may not contain your magical word or phrase.

For example, I may write that I almost got FTF but so-and-so beat me to it. I wouldn't want that particular log increasing my FTF count.

That's pretty cool. One of the reasons I didn't want to add cachestats to my profile was that I assumed it would incorrectly calculate the FTF count. I'll take a look at adding it now. Thanks.

I'm one of the local FTF hounds. We are VERY conscientious in these parts when it comes to claiming the FTF. We may LOG the cache before someone else but we never claim that as a FTF. Sheesh......... FTF means the first one to FIND the cache whether you are the first to log it or not.

I kind of got into the FTF thing because my neighbor who introduced me to geocaching was trying to get 100 FTF by the time he hit 1000 caches. He did that and has now hit 200 FTF with around 1450 caches or so. No way would he (or I) want to claim a FTF on a cache where we weren't really the first finder. I'm now at 850 caches and 90 FTF.

I don't see any reason to add a FTF checkbox or whatever to the log page. If you want folks to know you are the FTF you can put it in your log.