Trading/Swag/TB

oregon_seeker

What I have gathered so far is if you take then you leave. If you take a TB you must leave it elsewhere soon. I saw a post about going back to a previous find to gather another bug and this was responded as a normal ok thing. If you 'raid' a cache with multiple bugs should you move them all, some, or one? I'm not sure what the expectation is and just want to be a good citizen from the beginning.

-oregon_seeker

'eager noob and son'

I'm pretty new to this so what I'd say is, I probably wouldn't take more then 1 at a time. I picked one up the other day that had been sitting for several months! In that case if there were several sitting that long, I might take them both. This was my first TB, so I was pretty happy to find it, even though I wasn't able to move it too far. As far as taking them, as long as you are moving them, I wouldn't think it's a problem, but someone may correct me on this, as I said I'm pretty much a Newbie at this.

I've started leaving stuff, even though I'm not taking anything. I've actually been a little dissapointed that most of the Cache's I'm finding, really don't have much of anything in them, mostly just kids toys. Don't get me wrong, I'm not into it to find a bunch of really cool stuff, but I'm finding things like, a Shoelace, half a pencil, a crayon, things like that. Finding a TB, is nice after that.

I'm sure you'll get some helpfull answers here.

Regards Sonny

New folks to this fine sport who "want to be good citizens from the beginning" should be appauded and encouraged! Hats off to you!

Go ahead and feel free to take as many Travel Bugs or Geocoins you may find in an individual cache. as long as you intend to place them ipromptly nto another cache. They are not the property of the cache but rather belong to the individuals who released them out in the "wilds" to travel according to their stated "mission." As such, the owners of these "Trackables" would much rather see that they are being moved about rather than languishing for extended periods of time in one geocache.

Now, as far as "TRADEABLE" items, here's a simple good "rule of thumb." Don't put INTO a cache anything that YOU would not want to take OUT! Now, if one was into creating their own personal collection of broken pencils, used bottle caps, pieces from your kids discarded toys, etc. then I guess that is what would be appropriate trade. However, if that's not the case, then always make it a point to trade EQUAL or BETTER! You'll feel better and it will help to self-perputuate the cache, making finding it an enjoyable experience for future cachers.

One more thought, consider yourself a "steward" of the caches you find. If a cache need a bit of TLC and you can do so then, by all means, do it. If not, then kindly send an email to the cache owner to alert them to the situation.

Happy Caching,

Dear Dora

My policy is that if I can help the bug on its mission, I'll pick it up. If I can't I leave it for someone who can. There are exceptions, I did once find a cache where we "liberated" all the bugs. They had been in the cache for ten months! There were even notes from the bug owners posted to the cache page saying "please, the next person please bring my but out of there". So there are times where that would be a legitimate thing to do.

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

What about items with cacher's names on them. I found a couple caches with wooden coins with someone's name and date on them or bottle tops. Is that like leaving your calling card? What about a decorative rectangular pin that had AeHUHrpag on the front and a triangular symbol with lettering something like U.40k. on the back? Are these things supposed to be moved or left where they were placed?

TBs and coins have numbers that are trackable on this site.

There are other types of trackables, not trackable on GC.com, but they will usually have the other website where they can be tracked written on them.

The items you describe sound like signature items. Some people trade for those because they like to collect "sig" items.

When you see a Geocoin, you will know you are seeing something special. :rolleyes: They are usually large and heavy and have very cool designs . . . which is one reason they go missing . . . :rolleyes:

compass-rse-ft-nckl-160.jpg

Some Geocoins are smaller diameter and made to fit in Micro caches. All of them will have a several-digit number and should also have the www.geocaching.com URL on them.

If you find a TB or Geocoin, don't mention its number in your log, or include a photograph showing the number. Some people will use that number to falsely log the trackable . . . <_<

Edited by Miragee

more etiquette questions...

Do I have to have a TB or Geocoin to trade in order to pull one out of a cache?

I am from Denver and was recently in Maryland and NYC and did a bit of caching. One of the cache's I thought about going after showed it to have a TB. I wasn't sure if I could pick it up and move it to Denver since I didn't have a TB to drop off.

Is it obvious when you find a TB what it's goal/mission is?

Thanks

Paksen

You do not need to trade a TB for a TB or a Coin for a Coin. They are meant to travel, so you can just grab them and move them on.

If you see that a TB is in a cache ahead of time and can check to see what its mission is, if it has a mission, and you can help it, great.

If a TB is on the East Coast with a goal of getting to Italy and you are heading back to Denver . . . well, better leave that one where it is . . . :D