What's Your Strategy?

Bravo Delta

There are a few specific caches in my local area that are just driving me INSANE. I just cannot find them, no matter what I do. I've been back to each of them 3 to 4 times, but with no luck.

So, my question to you all is this:

When you've got a cache that's really giving you a hard time (no finds after a couple of visits), what's you're strategy?

Thanks!

BD

I:

Double check the logs to make sure it's still there

Stop thinking about it for at least a week

Bring other people to help

Bring other people with other GPSrs to help

Post my DNFs - often the cache owner will contact me to see if I need additional hints

Approach GZ from a different angle

Do it in the daylight

Some good advice has already been given but after reading through all the recent logs and hints, I'll sometimes use a lifeline and call a friend that has found the cache. My curiosity is sometimes too great to just walk away. :rolleyes:

Edit: Also when you get near the cache don't forget to put your GPS in your pocket and look for good spots to hide a cache.

Edited by TrailGators

If its a metal cache, I have to extendable magnetic prods to poke around with. Works especially good for places covered in Ivy, leaf litter, bushes, ect.

the small one looks like this. I added a rare earth magnet to it for more grab power.

KTI70915.jpg

the big one is a brute. Found on sale for $4. at Harbor Freight.

B000CQBZ4C.01-A3DWJ95CJL3OHA._SCLZZZZZZZ_V1133828360_.gif

They may not apply to what your looking for perhaps, but its another weapon for the arsenal when dealing with tough hides. I do alot of night hunting so sometimes need extra help.

edit to say;

these tools don't come out very often, but if the situation fits right, they do come in handy. Also the small one has been used many times to retieve containers that were shoved out of reach from fingers. Saved a damsel in distress in a parking lot. (she dropped her keys down a stormwater drain.) Just a handy thing to keep around.

Edited by mudsneaker

Here's what we do with difficult caches:

Print out the cache page and take it with you.

Underline the size of the cache you are looking for...that should help narrow down the potential hiding spots.

Look at the attribute icons in the corner for hints (for ex., "no difficult climbing" would indicate you probably don't have to get on top of the %$@!& tank to find the cache).

Look at the gallery photos for the cache to see if any of them contain a photo of the cache and/or logsheet (the type of logsheet used may indicate the shape of the container).

Read the logs and jot down anything that seems helpful. Comments like "Vertically challenged people will have a hard time with this" or "Great camo" or "Found despite the snow" may indicate that the cache is high up, in plain sight but painted to blend in, or on the ground.

Take the cache page with you to help you remember the details!!!

If all else fails, email the cache owner for a hint. Don't forget to post at least one DNF so the cache owner has a heads-up that there may be a problem. Most of all, don't get discouraged...be inspired by these tricky hides to create great caches of your own when you are ready to place some out there for others to find.

Good luck and have fun!

This is my procedure for difficult caches:

- If I can't find it in a reasonable amount of time, and I'm good friends with the owner, I call for a hint. If I don't know them (or can't get ahold of them), I leave and log a DNF.

- Return for another attempt at a later date.

- If I can't find it after the second visit, I'll email for a hint.

- If I don't find it on the third visit, it goes on the ignore list. I'll consider trying it again if it's still active a month or two later, or if I'm with another cacher who wants to search for it.

There are a few specific caches in my local area that are just driving me INSANE. I just cannot find them, no matter what I do. I've been back to each of them 3 to 4 times, but with no luck.

So, my question to you all is this:

When you've got a cache that's really giving you a hard time (no finds after a couple of visits), what's you're strategy?

Thanks!

BD

I go back with more eyes. If I can't find it the other 200 people I bring just might. My wife especially has a kack of finding caches right were I looked.

If one of them happens to be in Colonial Hills and you need a hint or some help, let me know. I would be glad to offer an extra hint or meet you there to give a hand. I live in the neighborhood too.

Actually, one of the IS yours! The other is the one in the Short North by Pistachio.

Thanks for the offer of the hint. I may very well take you up on that soon, but Im going to give it a little more time. :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I am having such a great time!!!

BD

I found Pistachio last month. If you need a hint on that one I would be glad to help there, too. I am a newbie also, but as you see a few more micros they tend to jump out at you over time. If you haven't done it yet, check out Lone Chimney. It is pretty close and poses a physical, rather than mental challenge.

Edited by avpas

My normal procedure is to visit the site 3-4 times and post a DNF each time. Usually by the time you post 3-4 DNFs either the owner or another area cacher will have mercy on you and give you a good hint. If this procedure fails, I just bring my wife along...she's, in general, very good at spotting micros. The funny thing though, in roughly 75% of the cases where I resort to bringing my "micro hound" along, I find the cache myself within 60 seconds of arriving at the site. I just can't explain that.